This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Biggest Christian "Gay Cure" clinic shuts down

#1ThuggernautzPosted 6/20/2013 10:45:08 AM(edited)
And leader apologizes for all the harm he caused, and confesses his history of homosexual attraction.

And then there is the trauma that I have caused. There were several years that I conveniently omitted my ongoing same-sex attractions. I was afraid to share them as readily and easily as I do today. They brought me tremendous shame and I hid them in the hopes they would go away. Looking back, it seems so odd that I thought I could do something to make them stop. Today, however, I accept these feelings as parts of my life that will likely always be there. The days of feeling shame over being human in that way are long over, and I feel free simply accepting myself as my wife and family does. As my friends do. As God does.

http://www.freedomrequireswings.com/2013/06/exodus-international-shuts-down-leader.html

He still believes that the Bible commands only heterosexual marriage as acceptable, but acknowledges that being tolerant is more important.

This particular line here is pretty amazing:

More than anything, I am sorry that so many have interpreted this religious rejection by Christians as Godís rejection.
#2IndoriPosted 6/20/2013 11:02:55 AM
I don't know anything about the methods they may have employed as part of that organization, but it sounds like they're getting on the right path. I applaud them.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#3Hustle KongPosted 6/20/2013 11:57:10 AM
I read his statement this morning. One of the nicer apologies I've read in a while.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4Hustle KongPosted 6/20/2013 11:58:42 AM
Also, he confessed his same-sex attractions back in 2007.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5Moorish_IdolPosted 6/20/2013 12:01:51 PM
This brought joy to my day. Nice to see the organization is closing; and even nicer to see such a genuine apology.
#6AynRandySavagePosted 6/20/2013 12:43:04 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
This brought joy to my day. Nice to see the organization is closing; and even nicer to see such a genuine apology.
#7mercurydudePosted 6/21/2013 2:39:10 AM
John Paulk (Exodus' former chairman) just came out a couple of months ago and also apologized for his involvement in this organization. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with this, since Exodus has a history of its leaders leaving the organization and making these kinds of confession/apology statements. His departure may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Still, Alan Chambers could have buried his head in the sand and let it continue, and lots of more people would have been hurt. I'm glad that he chose to take the more courageous and compassionate route.

I think this is just going to become more and more common as there are more gay rights victories throughout the US and abroad. There was a bill in California that made it illegal for parents to force their children to go to these things, and I was very supportive of that, but I don't think that kind of legislation is even going to be necessary for much longer. I think these groups are going to die out and take their shameful place in history beside female hysteria treatments.
---
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
- Thomas Jefferson, writing on the subject of religion
#8Thuggernautz(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 9:50:42 AM
mercurydude posted...
I think these groups are going to die out and take their shameful place in history beside female hysteria treatments.

Wow, I had never thought about that parallel before but I agree with it fully.
#9hermanooterPosted 6/22/2013 2:06:44 AM
With a quitter like this in charge no wonder they haven't found a cure yet.
I bet a Muslim clinic wouldn't give up so easily.
Not that faith healing ever cured anything, but you've got to start somewhere.
It's too bad too, because I don't think the Muslims are up to the task. If they were you'd think they'd have cured female hysteria by now and OBVIOUSLY that hasn't happened.
No, it's just going to be one more emerging technology America will fall behind China on.
That's right, you'd think the US would be light years ahead in the field of wacky religious homosexual rehabilitation, but the Chinese may have something here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_3bIni52I
---
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos
#10hermanooterPosted 6/22/2013 2:44:28 AM
Seriously though, shouldn't this blatant liar be charged with fraud?
What about all those people who contributed to this organization under false pretenses?
Especially those who were promised a respite from their unwanted urges.
I hope at the very least all assets will be liquidated and refunds issued to anyone who feels they were swindled.
---
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos