This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Biggest Christian "Gay Cure" clinic shuts down

#11OrangeWizardPosted 6/22/2013 4:24:25 AM
Seriously though, shouldn't this blatant liar be charged with fraud?

What did he lie about?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#12hermanooterPosted 6/22/2013 5:16:33 AM
Um, his own sexuality for one.
More importantly, about the efficacy of his sham cure to potential patrons.
And now if this organization doesn't use it's funds on gay faith rehab, he was lying to contributors about where their money would go. Even worse it looks like these funds might be reappropriated for the exact opposite of what was intended, promoting homosexuality rather than eliminating it.
That might sound fine and dandy to some, but to me that proves they aren't at all interested in fairness or equality, just forcing their own agenda on others.
Imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed, and some LGBT awareness charity did a complete 180 and spent all their money on pray the gay away camps?
---
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos
#13Faust_8Posted 6/22/2013 9:44:52 AM
hermanooter posted...
Imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed, and some LGBT awareness charity did a complete 180 and spent all their money on pray the gay away camps?

Except one seeks (often harmfully) to correct the actions of the blameless, and one helps promote the rights of a harmless minority.

As in, this is not a case of "same thing, both sides." One is wrong. Reversing something that's wrong isn't an injustice to the wrong side...it's justice.

Or in other words, your argument sounds as ridiculous as...

"Imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed, and some African-American awareness charity did a complete 180 and spent all their money on the KKK?"

There would be an uproar for obvious reasons. That's not the case here though, except in the hate-filled camps full of wrong people.
---
Faust_8: Would you own slaves if you could?
OW: If I lived on a farm or something, sure. But I have no need of slaves right now.
#14OrangeWizardPosted 6/22/2013 8:09:49 PM
Um, his own sexuality for one.
More importantly, about the efficacy of his sham cure to potential patrons.

Did he really know that his methods wouldn't work?

And now if this organization doesn't use it's funds on gay faith rehab, he was lying to contributors about where their money would go. Even worse it looks like these funds might be reappropriated for the exact opposite of what was intended, promoting homosexuality rather than eliminating it.
Let's not accuse people of fraud for actions that they haven't taken yet.
---
#15hermanooterPosted 6/23/2013 5:04:45 PM
One is wrong.

Only in your opinion, praying the gay away is not illegal to my knowledge. Charity fraud on the other hand... but I guess two wrongs make a right when it serves your wishes, right?

"Imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed, and some African-American awareness charity did a complete 180 and spent all their money on the KKK?"

Oh ya were these people going around lynching gays and burning crosses?
A more appropriate analogy would be Michael Jackson's dermatologist.
Now if Mike paid the guy to make his skin whiter and while he was under the doctor had a change of heart and decided to make Mike's skin darker instead because that would be more tasteful to the doctor's newfound politics, wouldn't Mike be entitled to recompense?
Not in this case though, because it's a charity where they thump bibles.
If you want to make wildly exaggerated comparisons to murderous scum, this flip-flopper is just like general Butt Naked of Liberia, who used to massacre children and eat their hearts.
But now that he's given up cannibalism and gotten in line with the fashionable ideology he gets a complete pass. Disgusting, no?

Well he obviously knew they didn't work on him, but that didn't keep him from lying about it to keep the cash flowing in.

Let's not accuse people of fraud for actions that they haven't taken yet.

Fair enough, but clearly the money isn't going to be used for it's intended purpose now. Even if it's not used for the exact opposite in the end, it's still fraud.
---
#16the_hedonistPosted 6/24/2013 1:07:56 AM
hermanooter posted...

Well he obviously knew they didn't work on him, but that didn't keep him from lying about it to keep the cash flowing in.

Hold up, I don't think "he obviously knew they didn't work on him." One of the key principles of sexual orientation change therapy is that it takes time to change your orientation. Perhaps he really believed it took time, until he had been trying it himself for years and years and gave up on it.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#17hermanooterPosted 6/27/2013 7:39:01 AM
If he wants to quit and relapse that's fine, why should everybody else have to do the same?
If this was an alcoholic rehab charity could he get away with shutting down the clinic and using the money for an open bar party for all the drunks?
---
#18OrangeWizardPosted 6/27/2013 8:41:13 AM
If he wants to quit and relapse that's fine, why should everybody else have to do the same?
If this was an alcoholic rehab charity could he get away with shutting down the clinic and using the money for an open bar party for all the drunks?

I wish I came up with that one.
---
#19Hustle KongPosted 6/27/2013 12:23:40 PM
The hell are you on, Herman? What makes you think he "relapsed"? He has no intention to divorce his wife, nor has he changed his mind on the purpose and proper use of human sexuality. Did you bother to read anything about the story or the issue, or did you just throw any assumption you could manage into the ring?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#20hermanooterPosted 6/28/2013 1:36:01 AM
I really don't care who or what this traitor and his poor wife do or don't do in the bedroom, that's irrelevant.
The money is what's important.
Did I also miss the part where he said the organization would make full restitution to those it misled? Because if that's the case I apologize.
---