This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People are brain scanned during speaking in tongues. Results are amazing.

#11TheBlackCat13Posted 6/23/2013 1:31:03 AM
lasthero posted...
I'm not asking if they succeeded - indeed, I'd be VERY surprised if they had. I'm asking if anyone's ever tried.

People have tried many times to find out of there is any sort of structure or content in it. You can do this even if you don't know what the words or grammar are. It turned out there was nothing there, it was just random strings of sounds without any possibility of them having any sort of meaning.

So, technically, no, no one has tried to translate it, just like no one has tried to translate the digits of pi. There is nothing there to translate.
---
Man Is The Lowest Cost, 150 Pound, Nonlinear, All-purpose Computer System Which Can Be Mass Produced By Unskilled Labor
-- NASA
#12TheWetRatPosted 6/23/2013 1:40:15 AM
Haven't you all considered that it's a language that ONLY GOD can understand? Sheesh.

But seriously, study after study has indicated that glossolalia is a learned behavior. Anyone can learn to mimic another person's "language" almost identically after only having heard it for a little less than an hour. There's really nothing more to it than that.
---
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
#13lastheroPosted 6/23/2013 4:36:23 AM
TheWetRat posted...
Haven't you all considered that it's a language that ONLY GOD can understand? Sheesh.

But seriously, study after study has indicated that glossolalia is a learned behavior. Anyone can learn to mimic another person's "language" almost identically after only having heard it for a little less than an hour. There's really nothing more to it than that.

The thought crossed my mind, but there's a lot of evidence it's just gibberish, and none it's that, so I default to the most parsimonious answer. And what studies?
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#14TheWetRatPosted 6/23/2013 5:25:07 AM
The easiest answer to that question would be to read the Wikipedia page or Google glossolalia studies, but here's a quick summary of what I've read in academic literature:

-The way people structure their speech when speaking in tongues tends to mimic their native language. A person speaking in tongues with English as a native language is unlikely to sound similar to a person with a background in Chinese language.
- Simply hearing glossolalia for sixty seconds is enough for a significant sample of individuals to accurately internalize and mimic the language. Encouragement and training by experienced tongue-speakers augments this sample significantly.
- Christians who speak in tongues basically sound the same as people from other religions who speak in tongues.

The evidence speaks strongly in favor of the assertion that glossolalia is a product of culture and observation, wherein the individual speaking in tongues is modifying their native language to fit what they think speaking in tongues "should sound like" based upon what they have heard from other people.

If you're interested in more, check out the documentary Marjoe. It's about a Pentecostal preacher who leads a tour of church revivals and makes thousands off it. The twist is that he is a self-professed conman who is not Pentecostal. The documentary is excellent at explaining psychological techniques employed by charismatic leaders to get people to speak in tongues and induce powerful spiritual experience.
---
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
#15Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 7:00:13 AM
Faust_8 posted...
So...when not speaking an actual language, the language center of the brain isn't active.

Why is this relevant?

-Accept they are speaking a language. And its not their brains making the language, as the study shows. That was the point of the study. You dont know how the brain works- when we speak we use the frontal portion of our brains which is for speech. No matter what words we say. The one guy was focusing on the tongues and the brain activity went down significantly. That is a big deal. You just didnt catch on to it.
#16OrangeWizardPosted 6/23/2013 7:40:13 AM

-Accept they are speaking a language.
Why?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#17JonWood007Posted 6/23/2013 8:05:47 AM
I tried speaking in tongues before as a Christian. I was just babbling.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#18Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 8:16:21 AM
JonWood007 posted...

You're still babbling even when your not speaking in tongues. Just give up.
#19OrangeWizardPosted 6/23/2013 8:18:12 AM
JonWood007 posted...

You're still babbling even when your not speaking in tongues. Just give up.

No I'm pretty sure he's now forming coherent words and sentences that we can both understand.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#20TheBlackCat13Posted 6/23/2013 8:18:25 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
-Accept they are speaking a language.

Why? It isn't true, as has already been explained several times in this thread by multiple people.

And its not their brains making the language, as the study shows.

No, the study shows that the brain is making the sounds, but that the portion of the brain that deals with sounds that have actual meaning is not involved in producing those sounds. Which could be consistent with the sounds coming from somewhere other than the brain, but could also be consistent with the sounds not having any meaning. The latter conclusion is consistent with everything else we know about the sounds. The former is not.

The one guy was focusing on the tongues and the brain activity went down significantly. That is a big deal. You just didnt catch on to it.

So if we assume two things that are false, the study is a big deal. How is that interesting? If we assume the sounds are made of cheese that would also be a major discovery
---
Man Is The Lowest Cost, 150 Pound, Nonlinear, All-purpose Computer System Which Can Be Mass Produced By Unskilled Labor
-- NASA