This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Literal destruction of the soul.

#1MlxueBluePosted 6/23/2013 4:34:26 AM(edited)
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul, but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28 KJV

What is implied here is that the soul will not be destroyed except in Hell/Gehenna by one person. Whether that person is God or Satan is irrelevant. Since without this happening, souls can be and have been destroyed every other way except complete and literal destruction, then, assuming that Jesus is right, that is the only thing left for him to be referring to here.
#2IndoriPosted 6/23/2013 7:02:03 AM
Why do you think it refers to the removal-from-existence type of destruction?
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 6/23/2013 7:41:24 AM
Yeah, souls are mortal.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#4actarusPosted 6/23/2013 9:29:52 AM(edited)
Rather fear him that is able to force you to sin.
"Sinning" is breaking God's Commandments and is deadly for your soul.
And if somebody comes with the "immortal Soul" or lawlessness support:
this is not what the Bible teach and Plato was not a biblical teacher.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#5Moorish_IdolPosted 6/23/2013 11:18:53 AM
TC, look into annihilationism if you haven't already.
#6MlxueBlue(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 12:23:18 AM
If it's referring to sinning, why is it done in hell. Yes, IS guess annihilationism IS the thing I'm talking about. I'm trying to prove that the bible talks about the literal destruction of the soul.
#7MlxueBlue(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 2:09:43 AM(edited)
I looked at some of the arguments against annhilationism, and it that seems you might be right, that the Bible does talk abot eternal torture. See? Atheists aren't all closed-minded after all!
#8dnLpkPosted 7/7/2013 2:51:38 AM
The concept is sort of interesting since the 'afterlife' result is the same as the predominate atheistic one- you turn into nothingness, which is what some atheists tend to stoutly believe in.

But then again it begs the question of whether 'nothingness' is actually a spiritual synonym for, from the believers perspective, torment in hell. In the perspective of the believer it's clear torment, but from the perspective of the unbeliever the nothingness is just an everyday life, a normality which one deals with with stoicism or various types of hedonism.
---
billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!
#9FingerpuppetPosted 7/7/2013 5:15:11 AM
dnLpk posted...
The concept is sort of interesting since the 'afterlife' result is the same as the predominate atheistic one- you turn into nothingness, which is what some atheists tend to stoutly believe in.

Atheists don't believe in that either. They merely disbelieve its existence.
---
"Not knowing something is one thing, refusing to know about it while pretending that you do is something I'd call stupidity." -Faust_8
#10Moorish_IdolPosted 7/7/2013 12:37:42 PM
So is there anything atheists do believe, or do you define yourself by what you don't?