This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you believe in God?

#1TheisbancPosted 6/27/2013 11:09:34 PM
If someone asked you that, how would you answer?
---
I ponder this as I wait for my bunny to lay eggs -Houle
#2darkmaian23Posted 6/28/2013 2:23:03 AM
I would answer that I don't anymore. But when I did believe in God, I did so because I did not understand how the world or the universe could exist without one. I also wanted to believe that benevolent being was watching over us and would someday make things right for everyone. These ideas were reinforced in my home and community, so coming to question these ideas about life was very difficult. I was also led to believe (in a public school!) that much of what we know of ancient history comes from the Bible, and that it was a purely historical document.
#3Blue_Dream87Posted 6/28/2013 5:06:24 AM
Because it gives foundation towards my beliefs towards unity, my moral code of respecting life and nature, and still brings awe to the universe. Though I believe in a God closer to Pantheism, and still researching and meditating on text supporting or detailing Pantheism and Panentheism.
---
http://f0.bcbits.com/z/25/08/2508209678-1.png
http://i.imgur.com/O0z1YeH.gif
#4bratt100Posted 6/28/2013 5:23:00 AM
Asking why may be a bit difficult for many. You will receive many more false answers then true.

"why do you believe in god?"

"because that is what I was taught"

This is an accurate response.
#5ThuggernautzPosted 6/28/2013 6:44:22 AM
"I don't."
#6C_MatPosted 6/28/2013 7:39:06 AM
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. (yeah, CS Lewis quote)

^That would be the main reason for me. On a purely logical level, I'd still get there through the cosmological and historical arguments for Jesus, which have never been refuted. On a more emotional level, though, I find the moral argument for the Christian God's existence to be the most powerful (which also ties in to that Lewis quote above).
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#7black spiderPosted 6/28/2013 9:08:52 AM
I don't believe in God because there's absolutely no rational reason for me to believe in him. I further disbelieve in the existence of gods because that's what my heart is telling me, but that's no more rational than any belief in gods would be. I recognize that but I can't change what I feel.

There was a time where I believed, though. I believed in part because I was raised to believe and in part because it simply felt right. It clicked, so to speak. It had nothing to do with rationality or logical arguments. I didn't choose to believe. It just did.
---
You want to try your hand at proving why genocide is inherently bad? - OrangeWizard
#8DarkContractorPosted 6/28/2013 9:32:22 AM
C_Mat post...
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. (yeah, CS Lewis quote)

^That would be the main reason for me. On a purely logical level, I'd still get there through the cosmological and historical arguments for Jesus, which have never been refuted. On a more emotional level, though, I find the moral argument for the Christian God's existence to be the most powerful (which also ties in to that Lewis quote above).

When you refuse to consider any rebuttals against those arguments and just take whatever apologists spoonfed you then yeah i can see how you would think that
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.
#9WhereDidItGoPosted 6/28/2013 11:51:55 AM
Chiefly because I was never a materialist, nor found it compelling to be one, so the idea was always open for me. My particular choosing of Christianity was an acceptance and love of the teachings of Jesus and a desire to follow them.
---
"The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason." - G.K. Chesterton
#10Polish_CrusaderPosted 6/28/2013 3:00:34 PM
Because God has revealed himself to me and shown me the truth and the light.

My belief is 100% based off evidence.