This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you believe in God?

#41DarkContractorPosted 7/3/2013 6:00:32 PM
C_Mat posted...
@Julian_Caeser

If you want to see the second topic DC and I debated in, here's a link to the page where our argument started (which began by talking about the first topic we debated in). It will be very plain to see how DC failed to acknowledge my evidence for the historicity of the Gospels and avoided answering my direct questions- if you're really curious about what we're referring to. If not, don't worry about it.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/66188997?page=11

Of course, if you want to see him caught in a lie and how he responds to it, just to get an idea of what kind of "debater" he is, read my last post on the previous page.

how can you even see through such rose tinted glasses
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.
#42DG1upPosted 7/5/2013 2:46:32 PM
In the past month there were two events that happened that help me believe in God whenever I think about them.

One case was my sister's graduation. Originally I wasn't able to go because I had a doctor's appointment on the same day. The day before the graduation/appointment, my doctor's assistant called saying that because the doctor called in sick that my appointment had to be rescheduled, meaning that I could go.

The other event concerns some money. I was praying for a while, and I was thinking to myself "If I had an extra couple hundred dollars I'd be ok". A few days later at the most, my school gave me $200 in financial aid.

I seriously doubt that a man with as many misfortunes as I have had throughout my life wasn't blessed by the God of The Bible. This couldn't have been a coincidence in any way IMO.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#43darkmaian23Posted 7/5/2013 5:07:59 PM
DG1up posted...
In the past month there were two events that happened that help me believe in God whenever I think about them.

One case was my sister's graduation. Originally I wasn't able to go because I had a doctor's appointment on the same day. The day before the graduation/appointment, my doctor's assistant called saying that because the doctor called in sick that my appointment had to be rescheduled, meaning that I could go.

The other event concerns some money. I was praying for a while, and I was thinking to myself "If I had an extra couple hundred dollars I'd be ok". A few days later at the most, my school gave me $200 in financial aid.

I seriously doubt that a man with as many misfortunes as I have had throughout my life wasn't blessed by the God of The Bible. This couldn't have been a coincidence in any way IMO.

I understand how compelling personal experiences can seem to a religious believer, but you do you really think getting an extra $200 and getting to go to your sister's graduation constitute miracles? Why do you think God cares enough to grant you a few easy favors (that are really only coincidences) but can't save rape victims, cancer patients, or people missing limbs?
#44C_MatPosted 7/5/2013 7:25:30 PM
^^Providence =/= miracles
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#45Julian_CaesarPosted 7/5/2013 8:20:44 PM
darkmaian23 posted...
DG1up posted...

I understand how compelling personal experiences can seem to a religious believer, but you do you really think getting an extra $200 and getting to go to your sister's graduation constitute miracles? Why do you think God cares enough to grant you a few easy favors (that are really only coincidences) but can't save rape victims, cancer patients, or people missing limbs?

I'm not sure why you think HE thinks those events constitute miracles, since he never once used the word "miracle" in his post. He simply said "I don't think those things were coincidences."
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#46FingerpuppetPosted 7/6/2013 5:51:53 AM
C_Mat posted...
On a purely logical level, I'd still get there through the cosmological and historical arguments for Jesus, which have never been refuted.

I don't know about that.
---
"Not knowing something is one thing, refusing to know about it while pretending that you do is something I'd call stupidity." -Faust_8
#47DarkContractorPosted 7/6/2013 5:57:13 AM
DG1up posted...

I was seriously down this exact road a little under a year ago, with experiences that seemed less of a coincidence than what you had. (See: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/64443791)

Now I'm pretty much an antitheist.

Also, Dawkins has a good video on chance and probability (also wtf young dawkins lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TxH0zf07w
---
#48Moorish_IdolPosted 7/6/2013 11:08:44 AM
DarkContractor posted...

Could you clarify? There are several definitions of antitheism floating around and I want to know which you are using.
#49DarkContractorPosted 7/6/2013 11:38:20 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
DarkContractor posted...

Could you clarify? There are several definitions of antitheism floating around and I want to know which you are using.

eh, I don't know what the various definitions are but when I see antitheist I think of someone simply largely opposed to religion, fights against it (I guess debating theists on here would be the bare minimum of it, but I like to lend out my atheist books to my religious friends if they're curious, I donate a bit to organizations like the Freedom From Religion Organization and American Atheists, etc, I think that humanity would be better off if we shrugged off religion completely)

I guess there's Hitchens definition, wasn't it something like he's glad there wasn't a God, because how horrible a God he must be, referring to the Problem of Evil? I could say to an extent that describes me.
---
#50Moorish_IdolPosted 7/6/2013 11:49:18 PM
So do you assert there is no god? Or do you simply "lack belief" in one?