This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*Taken from CE* Atheists put up monument

#1froghunter75Posted 6/30/2013 9:31:29 AM
At the unveiling of the first-ever atheist monument erected on government public property Saturday, the organization American Atheists announced that they plan to erect more monuments at locations throughout the country. In a press release, American Atheists President David Silverman said that the organization has plans for 50 more monuments at public sites across the country.

The unveiling took place at noon on Saturday at the courthouse in Starke, Florida, where last year a Christian group erected a monument to the Christian Bible’s Ten Commandments. The new atheist monuments will be placed in similar locations, where Christian groups have erected monuments to their beliefs in public, government-owned places.

“We’re not going to let them do it without a counterpoint,” Silverman told the Miami Herald. “If we do it without a counterpoint it’s going to appear very strongly that the government actually endorses one religion over another, or — I should say — religion in general over non-religion.”

The Starke monument was born out of a lawsuit filed by American Atheists asking that the Bradford County Courthouse remove the Ten Commandments monument, alleging that it violated the separation of church and state. The atheists were unable to have the Christian monument removed, but were told that they could erect their own monument at the site.

American Atheists agreed and Saturday presented the finished monument, a 1,500-pound granite bench and plinth inscribed with quotes by Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, as well as Madalyn Murray O’Hair, the founder of American Atheists.

Free speech, said Silverman, is for everyone. “This is one of the tricks that Christians have used” to get around the separation of church and state, he said.

“Because they go up and call it a free-speech zone and then they’re unopposed,” he explained. “They get their government legitimization because nobody else calls their bluff and puts something in.”

The 50 new monuments, the group said, are being funded by an anonymous donor.

Source: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/29/atheists-unveil-monument-in-florida-and-promise-to-build-50-more/

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/David-Silverman-of-American-Atheists-at-Starke-Monument-600x345.jpg

I'm glad the American Atheists are taking a stand here.
---
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein
#2C_MatPosted 6/30/2013 9:41:23 AM
Kind of makes atheists look like big babies IMO. They built this monument specifically to attack religion, Christianity in particular; I've never seen a Christian monument that tried to degrade atheists. And the quote in the picture is just dumb. I've never heard a Christian say that churches should be built instead of hospitals, or that you should say a prayer instead of doing a good deed. If your city needs another hospital, go build it; no church is going to stand in your way.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#3C_MatPosted 6/30/2013 9:44:03 AM(edited)
And this quote in particular cracked me up.

Free speech, said Silverman, is for everyone. “This is one of the tricks that Christians have used” to get around the separation of church and state, he said.

Free speech: in the Constitution
Separation of church and state: not in the Constitution

What an uneducated thing to say.
---
#4Kaiser1onePosted 6/30/2013 10:02:08 AM
C_Mat posted...
Kind of makes atheists look like big babies IMO. They built this monument specifically to attack religion, Christianity in particular; I've never seen a Christian monument that tried to degrade atheists. And the quote in the picture is just dumb. I've never heard a Christian say that churches should be built instead of hospitals, or that you should say a prayer instead of doing a good deed. If your city needs another hospital, go build it; no church is going to stand in your way.

Well many Xtians will simply say, "Sending prayers, I'll pray for them, Prayers to said person" and they simply don't do anything. That is what the quote is referring to. They pray thinking they are doing a good deed when it is doing nothing.

You haven't heard a Xtian say it, doesn't mean someone else hasn't. I've heard lots of Xtians saying we need more churches. Cause you know, that would solve so many problems.

The bench is more to be on equal footing with the Xtians rather than an attack on them. Plus it even has punishments for breaking the 10 commandments on it.

In a "perfect world" neither of them would be out there because it's a tax payer funded property.
---
Why is it that the world can't spell "lose" right???
#5C_MatPosted 6/30/2013 10:10:56 AM(edited)
If it was actually just to be on equal footing with Christian monuments and not attacking them, the monument it would only be about atheism and wouldn't be attacking Christians.

Why can't you type "Christian"? Is it really that much work to type four more letters, or are you afraid to say "Christ"?
---
#6IndoriPosted 6/30/2013 10:11:55 AM
froghunter75 posted...
*Taken from CE*

Oh hell.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#7rick alveradoPosted 6/30/2013 10:41:32 AM
That monument should really say "Some atheists" not "An atheist". I personally have no problem with churches being built and prayers being said. The two do not preclude hospitals being built and deeds being done.
#8froghunter75(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 10:46:30 AM
rick alverado posted...
That monument should really say "Some atheists" not "An atheist". I personally have no problem with churches being built and prayers being said. The two do not preclude hospitals being built and deeds being done.

But don't you think it'd be better that a hospital be built or that a deed be done instead of a church or prayer. I also am a little troubled by lumping all atheists into one set of beliefs but I would think that this is one most rational people could agree with
---
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein
#9Mei_von_KarmaPosted 6/30/2013 10:49:03 AM
Normally I would find that kind of weird but since they stuck the ten commandments there I guess it balances out.
#10DarkContractorPosted 6/30/2013 10:54:27 AM
C_Mat posted...
And this quote in particular cracked me up.

Free speech: in the Constitution
Separation of church and state: not in the Constitution

What an uneducated thing to say.

1) So the **** what?
2) No seriously, so the **** what?
3) Thomas Jefferson explained that the purpose of the 1st amendment was separation of Church and government, see his letter to Danbury Baptist Church.
4) Treaty of Tripolti
5) James Madison, the rough drafter of the Bills of Right, said something similar about the 1st amendment.
6) The whole bloody point of the 1st amendment is that they wanted to avoid the fiasco that had occurred with the Church of England, where the Church was presupposing its teachings as laws.
7) Did Keller teach you this too?
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.