This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what do you think the atheist worldview is?

#1DarkContractorPosted 7/13/2013 6:49:09 AM
Basically, why do you think atheists are atheists? Because a lack of evidence for theism, because they don't want to believe? Are they obsessed with worldly pleasures? Are they not predestined to salvation? Do they consciously reject God? Or something else? Please explain your viewpoint and why.

I think it's a mixed bag. I will be the first to admit that some atheists seem to be that way for bad reasons but I also think that many of them are that way for good reason.
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.
#2Dathrowed1Posted 7/13/2013 7:43:13 AM
I don't know so if I am out in the ministry I simply ask why.
---
sig
#3SSj4WingzeroPosted 7/13/2013 8:00:09 AM
All of the above, really. It'd be silly to try to generalize every single person.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#4KraakenPosted 7/13/2013 8:05:17 AM
Whatever we want it to be
---
Among twenty snowy mountains, the only moving thing
Was the eye of the blackbird.
#5JonWood007Posted 7/13/2013 8:22:43 AM
Because we love denying that which is clear to us as per Romans 1:20, and we want to sin, like a lot.

Ok, for real? Yeah, the reasons are diverse. Personally, I'm an atheist because I see no evidence for God, and I see the chance of the Christian god as per the Bible being real is extremely small, if a chance exists at all.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#6Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/13/2013 9:24:56 AM
What an atheist is and the atheist worldview are completely different questions/topics.

To me, an atheist is practically anyone who does not believe in and/or follow a god according to a religion.

An atheist worldview could mean a number of things. I guess the first thought that pops up in my head is doing whatever they think is right and/or feels good according to what they deem is right to humanist standards? I dont know how else to say it.

Also:

"and I see the chance of the Christian god as per the Bible being real is extremely small, if a chance exists at all."

-I lol'd a little bit. Thats a huge chance that you are guessing there. That chance you speak of is the difference between eternal happiness and peace, and eternal torture and pain. For your sake (means little to me personally) i hope you (and anyone who thinks this) starts searching for themselves through the facts available and stop with this "chance" nonsense. God is not a chance. He either exists or he doesnt.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/13/2013 9:26:06 AM
This just reminded me. My sig fits very well in the subject for "atheist worldview". Look it up.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#8TheBlackCat13Posted 7/13/2013 10:28:48 AM
Wouldn't it be more effective to ask atheists what their worldview is rather than ask people what they imagine atheist worldviews might be?
---
Man Is The Lowest Cost, 150 Pound, Nonlinear, All-purpose Computer System Which Can Be Mass Produced By Unskilled Labor
-- NASA
#9nighthawk16Posted 7/13/2013 10:32:26 AM
Why don't you believe in Zeus? Or Vishnu? Or Ra? Or The Ahura Mazda? Or Odin? Or the Prophet Mohammad? The prophet Joesph Smith? Or Xenu? It's the same answer all around.

People really only come to follow to a religion in only one of two ways. They were brought up in it, or they converted under a period of intense psychological duress. Very, very few people ever rationalize their way into religion.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#10hunter_gohanPosted 7/13/2013 10:43:12 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
-I lol'd a little bit. Thats a huge chance that you are guessing there. That chance you speak of is the difference between eternal happiness and peace, and eternal torture and pain. For your sake (means little to me personally) i hope you (and anyone who thinks this) starts searching for themselves through the facts available and stop with this "chance" nonsense. God is not a chance. He either exists or he doesnt.

*Pascal's Wager alert. Pascal's Wager alert!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APb3l4mCtpo
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.