This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what do you think the atheist worldview is?

#71C_MatPosted 7/16/2013 2:15:34 PM
Faust_8 posted...
Does another religion's truthfulness matter if it's true, rendering Christianity false? Does truth matter then?

Nope, Christianity would still be a superior way to God even if Scientology, Bhuddism, or some other random religion was true. All the other religions just have prophets who point to God; Christianity says that God himself came down to earth. All other religions tell you what you need to do to earn God's acceptance; Christianity says that Jesus earns God's acceptance for you, and there's no work you need to do to earn it. All the other religions are about finding God; Christianity is about God finding you.

Christianity, if it is false, is inferior to all the other religions because at least their founders had the sense not to claim to be God incarnate. But if Christianity is true, it is superior to all the other religions because of the reasons I already mentioned. If you look at Christianity and determine that Jesus was the Son of God and that he rose from the dead, the truthfulness of any other religion is irrelevant.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#72myzz7Posted 7/16/2013 2:27:24 PM
It can substantially argued for that if all modern incarnations of religion were true, in the sense that eternity existed each practitioner could reach God in his own religion, Christianity could be the superior religion. However, if Christianity was true alone, then any argument about "God finding you" and the importance of Jesus is extraneous in the contrast to other religious practices apart from Christianity. It wouldn't matter if one of the ten commandments said, "Thou shall high five a stranger every Friday" since eternal salvation depends on Christian teachings being obeyed, regardless whether they better or worse than secular or other any other non true religion edicts.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
#73_Rasl3rX_Posted 7/16/2013 2:55:02 PM
C_Mat posted...
_Rasl3rX_ posted...
this is an argument from consequences. We're talking about validity. You're literally saying "Christianity is the superior religion if it is true". If Islam is true, it is superior. If Greek Mythology is true, then Zeus is a superior way to Paradise!

Most people stuck in a fortress mentality usually don't even try and debate, but what's funny is that you try and debate and provide apologetics and make logical arguments and you STILL don't step one foot outside of that fortress.

Nope, that is twisting my words, it is not an accurate representation of my position. If my position was actually what you said, then I would agree with you that my logic is flawed. Is misquoting people the reason your last account was suspended? I remember seeing you get moderated for it in the last conversation we had.

Let's tell people "Nope you're wrong, that's not what I meant" without at all clarifying what you meant! Surely this is the most lucid, efficient way of discourse!
---
DarkContractor
#74ThuggernautzPosted 7/16/2013 7:04:31 PM
C_Mat posted...
All the other religions are about finding God; Christianity is about God finding you.

He's doing a pretty ****ing terrible job, then. My dog is much better at that.
#75C_MatPosted 7/16/2013 7:09:34 PM
myzz7 posted...
It can substantially argued for that if all modern incarnations of religion were true, in the sense that eternity existed each practitioner could reach God in his own religion, Christianity could be the superior religion. However, if Christianity was true alone, then any argument about "God finding you" and the importance of Jesus is extraneous in the contrast to other religious practices apart from Christianity. It wouldn't matter if one of the ten commandments said, "Thou shall high five a stranger every Friday" since eternal salvation depends on Christian teachings being obeyed, regardless whether they better or worse than secular or other any other non true religion edicts.

No no no, here is where you proved my earlier point that many atheists and even ex-Christians do not understand the basic tenants of the Gospel. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by obeying a single commandment.

Galatians 2:16, "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

And once you've been saved by faith, it is still not your responsibility to do any works to hold onto your salvation.

Galatians 3:2-3, "I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#76myzz7Posted 7/16/2013 8:08:24 PM
C_Mat posted...
No no no, here is where you proved my earlier point that many atheists and even ex-Christians do not understand the basic tenants of the Gospel. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by obeying a single commandment.

Galatians 2:16, "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

And once you've been saved by faith, it is still not your responsibility to do any works to hold onto your salvation.

Galatians 3:2-3, "I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?

Well, I was raised catholic so that's the theology I am pitching from. I do know of faith in God and Jesus is essential to Christianity, but works do play a role. You may consider it minor or perhaps none at all, yet that wasn't what I was taught.

Also, those verses seem to be referencing to customary laws from Judaism or governmental law. The scriptures were specifically directed to the area and people of the time, and so the word 'law' may not include Christian law--especially if a good portion of Christian law was developed after those verses were written.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif