This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians - what are your thoughts/opinions on this?(Other faiths welcome too!)

#11Dathrowed1Posted 7/14/2013 6:41:28 PM
Actually OW Lucifer is the Chaldeans not the Romans.
---
sig
#12OrangeWizardPosted 7/14/2013 6:49:54 PM
Oh, that's right.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#13JonWood007Posted 7/14/2013 8:09:00 PM
Because the Bible is really really freaking inconsistent as to who satan is. He starts out in Job as one of God's angels, who basically likes to troll humans. But then in the NT he's gonna be cast in a lake of fire. If you understand the historical context of the Bible it makes sense that there was an evolving theology surrounding satan, but when you actually try to take a more literalist approach it becomes more nonsensical.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#14SGamePosted 7/14/2013 10:34:24 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Because the Bible is really really freaking inconsistent as to who satan is. He starts out in Job as one of God's angels, who basically likes to troll humans. But then in the NT he's gonna be cast in a lake of fire. If you understand the historical context of the Bible it makes sense that there was an evolving theology surrounding satan, but when you actually try to take a more literalist approach it becomes more nonsensical.

The Bible is pretty clear who Satan is. He was an angel. He uses the serpent to deceive Eve. Later he continued his rebellion in the book of Job. It says he was the father of the lie, a manslayer, the original serpent. It says he is misleading the entire Earth. Its pretty clear. Like was mentioned before nowhere does it say that Lucifer is Satan.
---
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi"- Jango Fett
#15_Rasl3rX_Posted 7/14/2013 10:34:25 PM
DarkContractor posted...
Dantes Divine Comedy has been skewing our perception of Satan and He[ll] for centuries.

Checkout Elaine Pagel's Origin of [Hell]

crappy phone posting FTL
---
DarkContractor
#16SuibomPosted 7/15/2013 4:12:20 AM
JonWood007 posted...

Doesn't your belief about who a person is evolve as you learn more about them? Why is that nonsense?

If you met me at work, you'd learn about part of who I am. If you followed me home, you'd learn more, and what you think of me would change based on what you know of me. Is that nonsense?
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#17darklaoPosted 7/15/2013 4:51:48 AM
"At first we were like totally cool, but then he turned out to be a dick.WTF seriously." - God
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#18Dathrowed1Posted 7/15/2013 4:51:49 PM
darklao posted...
"At first we were like totally cool, but then he turned out to be a dick.WTF seriously." - God

Weren't you a Moderator? Did that last like 5 seconds or something?
---
sig
#19_Rasl3rX_Posted 7/15/2013 6:49:08 PM
darklao posted...

yeah, you gotta love it. Satan, who knew God, knew his almighty power, knew that God could absolutely crush him like a fly, decided to rebel because he was proud of himself? Does he think he'll win? Does he think God's lying about the prophecy? Shouldn't he have given the **** up at the Crucifixion?

Suibom: We got to know Satan a lot better when Judaism mixed with Hellenism! And then just a couple centuries later we had a beautiful Satan/Hell parallel to Hades. What a coincidence.

Also, a lot of Satan's evolution has to do with schisms in Judaism and Christianity demonifying their others "Those guys are the wrong denomination! They're evil... they're led by Satan!" and vice versa (Source that Elaine Pagel book I talked about at the beginning of the topic). Jesus was especially guilty of this, I mean, whenever someone disagreed with him he pulled the "you possessed by teh devil" card.
---
DarkContractor
#20darklaoPosted 7/16/2013 12:39:48 AM
Weren't you a Moderator? Did that last like 5 seconds or something?

Yeah, pretty much. I told another moderator to f*** off, or go f*** himself (I forget exactly), repeatedly. Now setting aside the whole issue of whether that person deserved it, you can see they aren't really interested in people who speak so disrespectfully to one another.

I could go on about the situation and my mindset at the time and motives, etc etc. But all of that doesn't really mean s*** and really it amounts to: I am not suited for the kind of job where you can't tell a coworker to go f*** himself, because eventually a situation will arise where a combination of my mood and the situation results in me telling someone to go f*** himself.

I have absolutely no problem with the decision they made to not keep me on the mod team. In their position I would have--well no, not really. But I can understand it from their side, certainly.

I bear absolutely no ill will toward anyone involved, perhaps most especially the guy I told to f*** off, who was really more the closest target for bile at a stressful time than anything else. So yeah, I was a noob mod for two weeks and now I'm not. Oh the dramas.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement