This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does 263 defines who is a Christian and who is not?

#11TheBlackCat13Posted 7/14/2013 10:58:52 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
1. Believes Jesus was God incarnate,

A lot of Christians rejected this idea before their beliefs were outlawed by Rome (they believed Jesus was created by God, but was a being subservient to God),

See about the Arian heresy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arian_heresy

It is unclear now exactly how many people believed this, but it was certainly enough to bother Rome. There are also modern-day groups and individuals with similar beliefs which arose after the Catholic's church absolute control over Christian theology in the west was weakened. Sir Isaac Newton, for example, held this belief.
---
Man Is The Lowest Cost, 150 Pound, Nonlinear, All-purpose Computer System Which Can Be Mass Produced By Unskilled Labor
-- NASA
#12CoyoteTheGreatPosted 7/14/2013 11:29:29 PM
Lots of groups "identify" as Christians but clearly aren't in any meaningful way, like Mormons and Gnostics. Christianity, at its heart, is having a core set of doctrinal beliefs centered around the Old and New Testaments as the sole arbiters of religious truth. I think that is a good start at least, though I'm sure even it is imprecise, but people who tell you that Christianity is whoever calls themselves Christian are just being intellectually lazy because it is really tough to put such a broad religion into a succinct enough definition to identify who belongs to it.
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.
#13Wandering__HeroPosted 7/15/2013 1:56:25 AM
SirThinkALot posted...
I usually define Christian as an individual who 1. Believes Jesus was God incarnate, and rose from the dead. And 2. At least makes an honest attempt to follow his commands.

This. A Christian who makes no effort to follow Jesus's commands is no more a Christian than I am a panda. Check your bible and you'll see that while Jesus will accept us making mistakes, if we purposefully throw his teachings to the wind we can call ourselves Christians but Jesus won't agree.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#14C_MatPosted 7/15/2013 7:37:18 AM
I don't really think anyone should care how 263 defines who is a Christian.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#15Wandering__HeroPosted 7/15/2013 8:50:13 AM
C_Mat posted...

It is a little unfair when someone like LMS comes to mock and insult th Christians, turn the mods on them, spread lies, harras atheists, disregard God's words, spam threads, care more about drawing attention to himself than actually convincing anyone(look at the pattern of his threads), hate Christians who rightfully rebuke and acts in ways he certainly does not act in real life (and notice he never responds to me when I ask how this goes down when he behaves in the real world? Or how he didn't even know Jesus had abolished the law of Talion? I mean they read that when several times a year, any Christian who even casually goes to church would know it), but certain atheists love to hold him up as our poster boy.

And the way some people try to use the Westboro Baptish Church against Christians. I mean you might as well hold up the KKK as representing white people.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#16kozlo100Posted 7/15/2013 9:31:06 AM
I usually just go "Identifies themselves as a Christian", but a recent topic has taught me that I've apparently been subconsciously adding a "without an intent to deceive or defraud" clause to that.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#17C_MatPosted 7/15/2013 10:06:39 AM
Wandering__Hero posted...
C_Mat posted...

It is a little unfair when someone like LMS comes to mock and insult th Christians, turn the mods on them, spread lies, harras atheists, disregard God's words, spam threads, care more about drawing attention to himself than actually convincing anyone(look at the pattern of his threads), hate Christians who rightfully rebuke and acts in ways he certainly does not act in real life (and notice he never responds to me when I ask how this goes down when he behaves in the real world? Or how he didn't even know Jesus had abolished the law of Talion? I mean they read that when several times a year, any Christian who even casually goes to church would know it), but certain atheists love to hold him up as our poster boy.

And the way some people try to use the Westboro Baptish Church against Christians. I mean you might as well hold up the KKK as representing white people.

I didn't care for LMS either, but I don't see what that has to do with my post. Maybe you quoted the wrong person and were trying to respond to someone else?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#18WelshGamer82Posted 7/15/2013 12:35:59 PM
Everyone apart from the Orthodox.

Yes you heard me, even the Hindus.
#19Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/15/2013 12:46:08 PM
The original question is very simple. How do you determine what a christian is? See what gods word says is a christian and what is not.

Acts 11: 20-26 - where the term christian was first being used. Atleast in record.

Matthew 28:19-20 -what christ told us to do as christians. Christ is the boss.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#20AynRandySavagePosted 7/15/2013 12:54:53 PM
I sorta vacillate between self-identification and between anybody who's part of a faith that accepts the Nicene Creed.