This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

God is jelly. What are we as Christians supposed to do about that?

#1XoarWinsPosted 7/15/2013 8:05:17 AM
http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/4-24.htm

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jelly God.

OK. So God is jelly. Does that mean...
He gets angry when I listen to my ipod more than think about Him?
When i sex my gf, does he get mad when I call out her name and not His?
and last, not least of all, when I'm rock climbing and hit the peak, does he get mad when I don't say "Thank you God" rather than thank myself for getting up the cliff?

Discuss non-jealously.
---
Thy Lord, thy God of Bacon, has spoketh! http://vocaroo.com/i/s0QvbJ3ILT7F
#2OrangeWizardPosted 7/15/2013 8:27:23 AM
Is Jealousy always bad?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#3JonWood007Posted 7/15/2013 9:11:17 AM
I wouldn't say always, as only the sith deal in absolutes, but it's generally not a pleasant characteristic.

Unless we abide by your rules in which whatever God says is okay is okay, regardless of the merits, but I don't buy into that, being a consequentialist.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#4ThuggernautzPosted 7/15/2013 10:44:26 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Is Jealousy always bad?

I would argue that it is, and especially makes no sense in terms of an omnipotent, omniscient entity. What exactly does God have to be jealous or insecure about? For an all powerful being, that makes absolutely no sense. You can argue that what God wants most of all is for us to choose to acknowledge and love him, but I don't think that is sufficient justification for the very human, petty and flawed jealous emotions.
#5IndoriPosted 7/15/2013 11:18:52 AM
There is such a thing as righteous jealousy.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#6JonWood007Posted 7/15/2013 11:23:18 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
Is Jealousy always bad?

I would argue that it is, and especially makes no sense in terms of an omnipotent, omniscient entity. What exactly does God have to be jealous or insecure about? For an all powerful being, that makes absolutely no sense. You can argue that what God wants most of all is for us to choose to acknowledge and love him, but I don't think that is sufficient justification for the very human, petty and flawed jealous emotions.

Especially when he turns around and tells us not to covet. Total double standard there. What good is a leader who doesnt even attempt to practice what he preaches? Granted, no one is perfect, but it's baffling a being who supposedly is acts this way.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7OrangeWizardPosted 7/15/2013 12:03:47 PM
Thuggernautz posted...

I would argue that it is

Why?
, and especially makes no sense in terms of an omnipotent, omniscient entity. What exactly does God have to be jealous or insecure about?

What do you mean "or insecure"? We're talking about Jealousy.
But you answer this question of "why" later.
You can argue that what God wants most of all is for us to choose to acknowledge and love him, but I don't think that is sufficient justification for the very human, petty and flawed jealous emotions.

And now you're assuming that it's a "human, petty and flawed" emotion.
---
#8OrangeWizardPosted 7/15/2013 12:05:54 PM
JonWood007 posted...

Especially when he turns around and tells us not to covet.

Not to covet what?

“You must not desire your fellowman’s house. You must not desire your fellowman’s wife, nor his slave man nor his slave girl nor his bull nor his ass nor anything that belongs to your fellowman.”

That's what.

Nothing about coveting anything that rightly belongs to you.

See? Nothing needs to be "baffling" as long as you actually research it!
---
#9CoyoteTheGreatPosted 7/15/2013 6:58:28 PM
Indori posted...
There is such a thing as righteous jealousy.

If you make up such a thing, sure. There can be righteous lust, righteous pride, righteous wrath, righteous slothfulness, and so on. If you are going to make those ethical arguments though, you need to do some philosophical legwork, you can't just say it exists.
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.
#10_Rasl3rX_Posted 7/15/2013 7:24:17 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
JonWood007 posted...

Especially when he turns around and tells us not to covet.

Not to covet what?

“You must not desire your fellowman’s house. You must not desire your fellowman’s wife, nor his slave man nor his slave girl nor his bull nor his ass nor anything that belongs to your fellowman.”

That's what.

Nothing about coveting anything that rightly belongs to you.

See? Nothing needs to be "baffling" as long as you actually research it!

This is like a one time thing, but I agree with OW. Jealousy as a sin is basically saying "I'm not satisfied with what God gave me, I want what he gave that guy instead" and calling God a bad decision maker (which he is, but yeah)
---
DarkContractor