This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on the Passion of the Christ

#1Fireray25Posted 7/15/2013 12:08:33 PM
Topic
#2C_MatPosted 7/15/2013 12:16:24 PM
Wish I hadn't watched it. It seemed to significantly diminish what Jesus went through to save people from sin, mostly because it's impossible to convey the spiritual cost Jesus went through in video form.

That said, it was shot beautifully and I liked the way they weaved Satan and other characters through the crucifixion.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#3darkmaian23Posted 7/15/2013 12:46:05 PM
C_Mat posted...
Wish I hadn't watched it. It seemed to significantly diminish what Jesus went through to save people from sin, mostly because it's impossible to convey the spiritual cost Jesus went through in video form.

That said, it was shot beautifully and I liked the way they weaved Satan and other characters through the crucifixion.

While I haven't seen the film yet, I would like to ask what you mean by "spiritual cost". What is that, and why did it diminish the value of them film in your eyes to the point that you wish you hadn't viewed it?
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 7/15/2013 3:31:42 PM
I saw it in theaters when it came out. I went to a Christian private school, and they felt like the entire school should see it so they rented like three screens.

I was kinda bored so I remember making airplanes out an empty Raisinets boxes with my friend for a large part of the movie.

When it finally got to the crucifixion, I remember feeling more awkward than anything. Partly because girls all around me were bawling. But also because, in any other context, this would be an "evil" movie to see due to all the violence. But since it was Jesus, I guess it was okay for all of us sheltered high schoolers to watch it.

My opinions on the movie could probably be summed up as "unnecessary and uncomfortable". The acting was good, Satan was depicted wonderfully I think (although the demon baby was a bit silly); but overall I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone.
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/15/2013 4:11:04 PM
It was incredibly emotional for me at the time. I cried at the end.

I would not watch it again because of the emotions it invokes. But it was a great movie at the time. I understand what mel gibson was trying to say. Its just too hard to deal with a second time around. Good movie theatrically speaking. The combination of the music and the intense focus on the crucifixion scene was intense.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#6the_hedonistPosted 7/15/2013 4:51:35 PM
I watched it on Good Friday this year (I had seen it in theaters when it came out, but I don't remember it having much of an impact then). I cried multiple times throughout the movie. After it was over, I was shaking and bawling. I haven't cried so hard since I was a very young child.

I don't have much to say about how good a production it was. It was certainly moving, but that's mainly because I am a Christian and it means so much to me. I know a lot of people complained about anti-Semitism when it came out. It's one thing to do that, but if you want to be consistent, you're going to have to accuse the New Testament of the same thing.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#7rick alveradoPosted 7/15/2013 5:15:13 PM
The demon baby thing was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen in a movie.
#8C_MatPosted 7/15/2013 9:58:18 PM
darkmaian23 posted...
While I haven't seen the film yet, I would like to ask what you mean by "spiritual cost". What is that, and why did it diminish the value of them film in your eyes to the point that you wish you hadn't viewed it?

Because if you wrote to me and said, "C_Mat, you're a troll and I want nothing to do with you," it's not going to phase me at all. If someone I knew at work stopped by my desk to say that he hated me, it might bother me for a week or so. If I got home and my wife said she's leaving me, I'd be crushed for months or maybe years. If one of my parents disowned me, I might never get over it as long as I live. The point is that the longer the relationship lasts, the worse a separation would be.

When God broke off His relationship with Jesus on the cross, that was divorcing a relationship that had existed for all eternity. Yes, they came back together later, but during that time on the cross Jesus' soul/spirit was in agony, not just his body. The Bible says that "he became sin who knew no sin," talking about Jesus, and God had to turn His back on His son. He was experiencing the separation from God in hell that we all deserve, but it was infinitely worse for him than hell would be for us.

There is no way to convey that in a movie. To quote a non-believing Jewish friend of a friend who was walking out of the theater after watching The Passion of the Christ: "If that's all that Jesus went through, I don't see what the big deal is."
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#9cobain27Posted 7/16/2013 12:17:06 AM
It's basically a snuff film. I can't stand it. I think it's manipulative since humans in general don't like seeing other humans brutally tortured for two hours. I just have issues with all the focus on Jesus' dying and torture in general. Guilt is not a good reason to follow the teachings of Christ. Belief in Jesus is.

Personally, I just focus on his teachings rather than all the stuff surrounding his death and trial.
---
There are 4815162342 types of people in this world. Those that love Lost and those who hate the ones that do.
#10GBALoserPosted 7/16/2013 6:15:17 AM
I found it outright boring. My wife who is a Christian didn't like it either. It was way too melodramatic (seriously, we were about to start a drinking game with the number of times Jesus fell down), we had a hard time identifying any of the disciples outside Judas and Peter, and it dragged on and on...

I thought the best scene was when Jesus was showing off his sit-down table to Mary. Showed both his humanity and the idea that he knew much more than an ordinary carpenter should know.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman