This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do atheists seem to base their identity on being superior to Christians?

#1C_MatPosted 7/16/2013 2:37:18 PM
It seems that everything I see atheists doing is just to compare themselves to Christianity, rather than establishing their worldview on its own merits.

For example, some like to identify themselves as "freethinkers." In college we had a "freethinker group" that met once a week on campus. I don't have a problem with that- at first I thought it falsely tried to give the impression that followers of other religions are not free to think what they want. But I was willing to let that go until I learned that the word "freethinker" itself comes from an atheist magazine in the 1800s, whose founder said, "The Freethinker is an anti-Christian organ, and must therefore be chiefly aggressive. It will wage relentless war against Superstition in general, and against Christian Superstition in particular. It will do its best to employ the resources of Science, Scholarship, Philosophy and Ethics against the claims of the Bible as a Divine Revelation; and it will not scruple to employ for the same purpose any weapons of ridicule or sarcasm that may be borrowed from the armoury of Common Sense." Obviously, my first impression of what atheists meant when they called themselves freethinkers turned out to be correct.

And then if you look at the recently constructed atheism monument that the atheists are so proud of, you'd see the inscription: An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty banished, war eliminated. Obviously, followers of religions don't believe that you should say a prayer instead of doing a good deed; Christianity says to do both. The same with the hospitals and churches thing; if your town needs another hospital, build it- no church is going to try to stop you. While I've never seen a religious monument that attacked other religions or even atheists, it seems the atheists just couldn't resist extending the same courtesy. Makes them look childish IMO. Again, why can't they just establish the merits of their own worldview rather than attack Christians?

And on this very board, if you look at a recent topic called Why do you believe in God?, on the first page alone, half the responses are atheists chiming in to say "I don't anymore" and give their reasons why, and there are similar responses spread throughout the rest of the topic. How thick do you have to be to respond to a topic like that? It could not be more obviously directed toward anybody who was not an atheist. Either the typical atheist does not know how to read, or it was a further example of them being, for lack of a better term, attention whores. I don't know how else to describe it, it just seems like atheists can't help but be that kid waving his arms in the back of the room who the teacher never calls on and keeps saying "look at me, look at me!" In my own interactions with atheists on this board, they're perfectly willing to torpedo their own argument in a debate if they can simultaneously pull me down with them (I'm running out of room, but I could probably provide examples of this if you don't already know what I'm talking about).

To me, all indications are saying that it's not that atheists want to be seen as credible based on their own merits, they just want everyone to think they're superior to Christians. Does anybody else notice this, or want to help me understand why?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#2Darklit_AnguishPosted 7/16/2013 2:39:59 PM
...maybe because they *ARE*?
#3kozlo100Posted 7/16/2013 2:44:36 PM
Ahem...
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4myzz7Posted 7/16/2013 2:51:01 PM
Sounds like you've been on the internet too long.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
#5SuibomPosted 7/16/2013 2:53:51 PM
C Mat...

Every group has their share of self-righteous dbags.

You gotta learn to enjoy the best and troll the rest.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#6rick alveradoPosted 7/16/2013 3:11:01 PM
Some atheists do that, but it's hardly fair to judge a group based on their most annoying members. On this very board kozlo, an atheist, is often considered one of the most respected posters, by both the atheists and theists.

And I know I don't base my identity on being superior to Christians. Heck, I wouldn't even say my atheism is a major part of my identity, but that's a side note. The majority of my friends and family are Christian and I don't think I'm a better person than them.
#7C_Mat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 3:11:56 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Ahem...

To be fair, you're the one person on this board who doesn't do this. I thought about saying it in my opening post but I was afraid it'd detract from the focus.
---
#8kozlo100Posted 7/16/2013 3:21:28 PM
C_Mat posted...
To be fair, you're the one person on this board who doesn't do this. I thought about saying it in my opening post but I was afraid it'd detract from the focus.

It's more than just me on this board, and even then I think you'd have a hard time showing even most of our more bristly atheists are actually posting what they do out of a superiority complex. Folks can just feel a little passionate about the subject.

More importantly out there in real life there is certainly a silent majority of atheists you're discounting. If you've got a beef with something specific, address it directly. If you want to criticize freethinker organizations or publications, do it. You got a problem with that monument, say so. You see people going off topic in a 'why do you believe thread', call them out. All that said, painting criticisms with a wide brush is never a good idea.
---
#9C_Mat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 3:33:37 PM
You're right, I should have said "some atheists" in the topic title and throughout the first post rather than phrasing it as if they were all exactly the same.
---
#10kozlo100Posted 7/16/2013 3:37:21 PM
To tell the truth, I don't even see a lot of utility in 'some atheists', just address the thing you want to criticize directly. If you want to draw a correlation between different actions by different specific groups, do that explicitly.
---