This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does it mean when somebody says that if Jesus didn't die

#1Fireray25Posted 7/17/2013 8:04:26 AM
We'd still be living by "Old-Testament Laws"
#2actarusPosted 7/17/2013 8:13:51 AM
That the one who made this statement supports antinomianism (better known as lawlessness).
This is NOT what Jesus preached.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#3Hustle KongPosted 7/17/2013 10:04:37 AM
Us Gentiles wouldn't be.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4FlashOfLightPosted 7/17/2013 12:51:47 PM
That is a misconstrued term, God's Law itself is not done away with, nor will it ever be, but what Jesus Christ came to fulfill in keeping of the whole Law according to truth, and what no longer applies, are the heavy judgments and punishments under the First Covenant with Israel, where no nonsense was tolerated, and sins were pardoned by blood sacrifices and offerings.

Under Christ, sins are pardoned through his blood alone, and the most High acknowledges someone to be righteous only if they believe in the atonement which Jesus Christ carried out on Calvary. God's wrath was in full effect on the generations before Christ, because of the sins of the people, for their shedding of blood, and their feasts of blood, and all things that were done under the offering to idols; fornication, people cutting themselves open, and giving their children up to the fire.

Now, under Christ, though a man be a murderer, or a fornicator, or a thief, or rebellious against his parents, these things can be forgiven and not met with judgment and indignation under the atonement of Jesus Christ if they earnestly believe that he rose from the dead, so that the wrath of God is no longer imputed on to them for the sins they previously committed, which under the Old Covenant were not excused in their life time.
---
Help someone out a little and you'll have a friend, help someone out too much and you'll gain an enemy.
#5Hustle KongPosted 7/17/2013 3:02:31 PM
What I mean, flash, is that I wouldn't be living under Old Testament laws because I'm not a Jew. Only Jews have to worry about that.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6FlashOfLightPosted 7/17/2013 5:25:34 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
What I mean, flash, is that I wouldn't be living under Old Testament laws because I'm not a Jew. Only Jews have to worry about that.

You would not, correct, but the world would still be judged by the same rules outside of Israel's home law.

Here's a small snippet to prove that, the whole piece itself in the entire chapter is quite lengthy to put up the whole thing, and any fragment would do, but this one should suffice:

Jeremiah 25:29-30

"For, lo, I begin to bring evil on the city which is called by my name, and should ye be utterly unpunished? Ye shall not be unpunished: for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the LORD of hosts.

Therefore prophesy thou against them all these words, and say unto them, The LORD shall roar from on high, and utter his voice from his holy habitation; he shall mightily roar upon his habitation; he shall give a shout, as they that tread the grapes, against all the inhabitants of the earth."

So the Jews had a strict and severe judgment because they knew the Law and lived under it, but all the rest of the nations likewise are judged for their sins without Israel's peculiar Law.
---
Help someone out a little and you'll have a friend, help someone out too much and you'll gain an enemy.