This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does hell exist?

#11_Rasl3rX_Posted 7/17/2013 6:45:20 PM
kozlo100 posted...
C_Mat posted...
I always wondered about this; why is eternal punishment unjust, but not eternal reward? I see tons of people saying it would not be fair for God to eternally condemn someone to hell, but never a single complaint that it's unfair to give eternal joy in heaven.

Technically, heaven isn't fair either, but most people aren't concerned with over-rewarding, particularly when it comes at no cost.

Though, to mention it, there are plenty of Christians who spend an awful lot of time talking about how we depraved humans don't, and cannot, deserve to get into heaven. So maybe there are a lot of people talking about how it's unfair, they're just glad it happens anyway.

I think the general idea is if there is nothing left for them, why not just finish them off? punishment for the sake punishment seems unnecessary in that sense, I mean it's pure sadism to not put them out of their misery.
---
DarkContractor
#12darkmaian23Posted 7/17/2013 7:31:27 PM
C_Mat posted...
darkmaian23 posted...
As an atheist, no, I don't think Hell exists. I also had doubts about it as a Christian because I felt that eternal torment isn't something God would condemn anyone to. I knew some other Christians who also felt that God would bring everyone to Heaven, but I think most Christians tend think Hell is real and that all nonbeliever will go there when they die.

I always wondered about this; why is eternal punishment unjust, but not eternal reward? I see tons of people saying it would not be fair for God to eternally condemn someone to hell, but never a single complaint that it's unfair to give eternal joy in heaven.

Spending a blissful eternity with a God that supposedly wants a loving relationship with his creation is not about justice. It is just part of the plan. Hell is a different story. What could anyone possibly do that would merit unbearable suffering with absolutely no end to it? I could understand accepting some sort of temporary Hell for people to pay for their crimes or learn some sort of moral lesson, but endless torment? Really?
#13Faust_8Posted 7/17/2013 8:42:02 PM
C_Mat posted...
darkmaian23 posted...
As an atheist, no, I don't think Hell exists. I also had doubts about it as a Christian because I felt that eternal torment isn't something God would condemn anyone to. I knew some other Christians who also felt that God would bring everyone to Heaven, but I think most Christians tend think Hell is real and that all nonbeliever will go there when they die.

For a lot of people the promise of heaven is the reason to keep believing in the first place.

Or it's just "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Or it's just that no crime is worth infinite punishment but they think some things are worth infinite reward (possibly due to arrogance).
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#14LinkFanaticPosted 7/17/2013 8:51:36 PM
I don't believe it does.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#15IwantedzeroPosted 7/17/2013 9:27:38 PM
Yes of course it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan
---
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#16ryan_0991Posted 7/17/2013 10:43:25 PM
C_Mat posted...
darkmaian23 posted...

Because eternal joy in heaven is not at odds with what god is supposed to be according to most Christians.

Eternal punishment in hell is very much at odds with it though. I have a hard time respecting a being that would damn someone to eternal torment in hell just because they didn't make some symbolic pledge.
#17ehhwhateverPosted 7/17/2013 10:45:14 PM
I think there is enough of a chance for a hell to warrant me to be somewhat dissassociative towards modern culture. I want to draw a distinction between right and wrong and to do that I have to be an indiviidual and I cant do that if im under the influence of sinister types who pee in a mop bucket etc.
---
You ain't gonna need it. YAGNI
#18darklaoPosted 7/18/2013 3:37:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshvqdva0vY
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#19Kaiser1onePosted 7/20/2013 1:12:19 PM
Which "hell" are you referring to? There's more than one.
---
Why is it that the world can't spell "lose" right???
#20PedroMontanaPosted 7/21/2013 4:05:21 AM
Iwantedzero posted...
Yes of course it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Makes me think about the PS2 game "Michigan: Report from Hell" made by Grasshopper Manufactures (Killer7, No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw, Killer is Dead...).
---
No More Heroes