This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What if we orchestrated a human-chimpanzee hybrid?

#1Faust_8Posted 7/17/2013 9:55:33 PM(edited)
There's no reason to think it can't happen. We've produced viable offspring in the lab with species more distantly related than we are to chimps. Like llamas and camels--they're farther apart than we are to a chimp cousins but we can get them to breed and make a half-camel, half-llama.

So, if we used a laboratory method to make a half-human, half-chimp animal...what would that mean to religion? Or just creationism specifically?

And yes, the reason why we haven't done this yet is dude wtf that's gross. (But we could if we wanted, and I do apologize for the mental images I've subjected you to.)
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#2OrangeWizardPosted 7/17/2013 10:37:23 PM
Yeah, what if?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#3IndoriPosted 7/17/2013 10:40:58 PM
dude wtf that's gross
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#4hermanooterPosted 7/18/2013 2:40:43 AM
With respect to religion, I assume you're asking the obvious moral question - would it be okay to stick it in?
Now obviously you would have to marry the monkey first, and therefore it would have to be of the opposite sex, but if those criteria are met I don't see how it would be a problem.
---
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos
#5darklaoPosted 7/18/2013 3:29:22 AM
As long as the hybrid eventually bludgeons his creator to death and an anti-science "Don't play God" lesson is learned and turned into a movie, I see no problem with this.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#6TheBlackCat13Posted 7/18/2013 4:33:01 AM
It is not necessarily that easy, since humans and chimps have different numbers of chromosomes. This can (but doesn't always) make interbreeding impossible. There are stories of people trying to before without success.
---
Man Is The Lowest Cost, 150 Pound, Nonlinear, All-purpose Computer System Which Can Be Mass Produced By Unskilled Labor
-- NASA
#7Hustle KongPosted 7/18/2013 4:49:53 AM(edited)
I don't know. Faust's parents seem to have done a fine job.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#8BashyMcFetusPosted 7/18/2013 7:09:06 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
I don't know. Faust's parents seem to have done a fine job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SYdjRVCR0
---
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard
#9Imperator420Posted 7/18/2013 8:06:43 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Yeah, what if?

This is so predictable it's not even funny anymore. No matter what question is being asked, any query beginning with "what if" will result in OrangeWizard coming in and repeating the question back at you, for no reason and without any explanation. If a kid ever asked him how big the sun is, he would say, "Yeah, how big?"
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#10OrangeWizardPosted 7/18/2013 8:16:14 AM
Imperator420 posted...

This is so predictable it's not even funny anymore. No matter what question is being asked, any query beginning with "what if" will result in OrangeWizard coming in and repeating the question back at you, for no reason and without any explanation. If a kid ever asked him how big the sun is, he would say, "Yeah, how big?"

But "how big is the sun" does not begin with "what if"?

See, errors like this is why nobody takes you seriously.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive