This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the name of Jesus so effensive??

#1OrangePoetPosted 7/18/2013 9:42:43 AM
Why not Mohammed, or Buddha, or Shiva, or Ra, or Zeus, or Jupiter?

It's unbelievable how saying the name of Jesus is offensive. Satan knows the power that is in the name of Jesus so he wants to find any way he can to stop people from saying his name.
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#2OrangeWizardPosted 7/18/2013 9:52:12 AM
Effensive? Do you mean Effervescent?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#3lastheroPosted 7/18/2013 9:54:06 AM
OrangePoet posted...
Why not Mohammed, or Buddha, or Shiva, or Ra, or Zeus, or Jupiter?

It's unbelievable how saying the name of Jesus is offensive. Satan knows the power that is in the name of Jesus so he wants to find any way he can to stop people from saying his name.

I have never met a single person in my entire life, both as a Christian or an atheist, who was offended by someone mentioning Jesus. And I highly doubt you have.

But, even if that were true, if I had to guess I'd say it would have a lot less to do with Christ himself and more to do with the people who follow him, or at least claim to. I, personally,have no problems with Jesus' teachings, and I haven't met anyone who does. It's like Ghandi (supposedly) said. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christiians."
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#4IndoriPosted 7/18/2013 10:09:34 AM
Effeminate?
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#5C_MatPosted 7/18/2013 10:16:46 AM
lasthero posted...
I have never met a single person in my entire life, both as a Christian or an atheist, who was offended by someone mentioning Jesus. And I highly doubt you have.

But, even if that were true, if I had to guess I'd say it would have a lot less to do with Christ himself and more to do with the people who follow him, or at least claim to. I, personally,have no problems with Jesus' teachings, and I haven't met anyone who does. It's like Ghandi (supposedly) said. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christiians."

Why is Christmas the only holiday that gets shortened to X-mas; you never see X-oween or X-tines Day? How come Christianity is the only religion on this very board whose followers I've ever seen shortened to X-ians?

And if you're an atheist, you personally have a problem with most of Jesus' teachings, as you believe they're false.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#6SuibomPosted 7/18/2013 10:21:38 AM
What's a "sive", and why the need to add the adjective "effen" to it?

Because its the only name by which man can be saved, that requests can made of the Father, that at it all knees will bow in the end.

"Your Name is a strong and mighty tower.
Your Name is a shelter like no other.
Your Name let the nations sing it louder.
For nothing has the power to save, but Your Name."
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#7lastheroPosted 7/18/2013 10:32:40 AM(edited)
Why is Christmas the only holiday that gets shortened to X-mas; you never see X-oween or X-tines Day?

Because 'Hallow' and 'Valen' aren't things that people do and don't worship? (And the latter's not a word, to boot) Some people like to celebrate the holiday with the religious overtones. For some people it's not a religious holiday, but a family tradition. They can call it what they want. What you call something isn't that important.

How come Christianity is the only religion on this very board whose followers I've ever seen shortened to X-ians?

I've never done that, so I can't say. Maybe you should PM one of the people who do that and ask them? Nah, just make up your own conclusions, that's much more reliable.

And if you're an atheist, you personally have a problem with most of Jesus' teachings, as you believe they're false.

Just because I don't believe he was the son of God doesn't mean I have a problem with most of his teachings.

Also, why are you bringing atheism into this? There are other religions that don't believe Jesus was the Messiah, either. It's not like it's just Christianity and atheism.

Addition: Also, even if I disagreed with every single one of Jesus' teachings, that would hardly equate to me 'having a problem with Jesus'. I disagree with many religions and beliefs, but simply because I think they're wrong or misguided doesn't mean I'm opposed to them or something. I have no more problem with Jesus than I do with Buddha.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#8kozlo100Posted 7/18/2013 10:46:23 AM
C_Mat posted...
Why is Christmas the only holiday that gets shortened to X-mas; you never see X-oween or X-tines Day? How come Christianity is the only religion on this very board whose followers I've ever seen shortened to X-ians?

That's actually down to the fact that the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches have used the abbreviations Xp and Xt or the "Chi-Rho" symbol which kind of looks like an X on top of a P based on the way the word "Christ" looks in Greek, using the Greek alphabet. This practice dates back at least a thousand years.

The notion that the abbreviation is a modern attempt to secularize Christmas is a misconception.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#9OrangePoet(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 10:55:57 AM
It was a typo people... a TYPO
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#10JonWood007Posted 7/18/2013 11:07:16 AM
Using god's name in vain, this being a nation with a large christian subculture, yada yada. If you go overseas, you will see people getting butthurt over desecrating their deities/prophets.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768