This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the name of Jesus so effensive??

#11lastheroPosted 7/18/2013 11:19:34 AM
I also find it somewhat odd that some Christians are so preoccupied with the X-Mas, but seemingly blase about Christmas being turned into what might just be the most commercialized holiday in the history mankind. As far as religion goes, that X is the least of Christmas' problems.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#12kts123Posted 7/18/2013 12:27:00 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
It was a typo people... a TYPO

^ This is how my brain interpreted this post.

(Disclaimer: the citation/edit does not and should not be taken as a reflection of the original poster or their intent.)
#13DagorhaPosted 7/18/2013 1:37:30 PM
C_Mat posted...
lasthero posted...
I have never met a single person in my entire life, both as a Christian or an atheist, who was offended by someone mentioning Jesus. And I highly doubt you have.

But, even if that were true, if I had to guess I'd say it would have a lot less to do with Christ himself and more to do with the people who follow him, or at least claim to. I, personally,have no problems with Jesus' teachings, and I haven't met anyone who does. It's like Ghandi (supposedly) said. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christiians."

Why is Christmas the only holiday that gets shortened to X-mas; you never see X-oween or X-tines Day? How come Christianity is the only religion on this very board whose followers I've ever seen shortened to X-ians?

And if you're an atheist, you personally have a problem with most of Jesus' teachings, as you believe they're false.

there is so much wrong with this that I want to scream POE! POE! POE! but I'll take it at face value

The "X" in X-mas is a cross, as in crisscross. It doesn't work with anything else. If people could find a way to shorten the other holidays, they would. Also name me three different 3 people who shortened Christians to X-ians. Finally, you can find that Jesus' teachings have some value and still believe that he isn't the Son of God or magical in anyway. In fact, I dare say most people would AGREE with most of Jesus' teachings because he mostly was fixated on human affairs and not divine ones.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#14hunter_gohanPosted 7/18/2013 1:51:16 PM(edited)
C_Mat posted...
Why is Christmas the only holiday that gets shortened to X-mas; you never see X-oween or X-tines Day? How come Christianity is the only religion on this very board whose followers I've ever seen shortened to X-ians?

Why are far too many Christians completely oblivious to their own history? It's using chi "X" the first letter of Christ in the Greek alphabet. Like the Chi-Rho banners the Roman Empire used to use after converting to Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labarum

X-mas = Christmas; X-ian = Christian

Why exactly would you want us to add Christ into Halloween and Valentines?
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#15C_MatPosted 7/18/2013 3:06:15 PM
lasthero posted...
Because 'Hallow' and 'Valen' aren't things that people do and don't worship? (And the latter's not a word, to boot) Some people like to celebrate the holiday with the religious overtones. For some people it's not a religious holiday, but a family tradition. They can call it what they want. What you call something isn't that important.

Didn't you just prove my point, that they change the name of the holiday because it offends them? Thank you for your help.

I've never done that, so I can't say. Maybe you should PM one of the people who do that and ask them? Nah, just make up your own conclusions, that's much more reliable.

I did ask, and he didn't answer.

Just because I don't believe he was the son of God doesn't mean I have a problem with most of his teachings.

Most of his teachings are that he was the Son of God, so you obviously have a problem with most of his teachings.

Also, why are you bringing atheism into this? There are other religions that don't believe Jesus was the Messiah, either. It's not like it's just Christianity and atheism. Addition: Also, even if I disagreed with every single one of Jesus' teachings, that would hardly equate to me 'having a problem with Jesus'. I disagree with many religions and beliefs, but simply because I think they're wrong or misguided doesn't mean I'm opposed to them or something. I have no more problem with Jesus than I do with Buddha.

You were the first one to bring up your atheism.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#16_Rasl3rX_Posted 7/18/2013 3:22:19 PM
C_Mat posted...
lasthero posted...
I have never met a single person in my entire life, both as a Christian or an atheist, who was offended by someone mentioning Jesus. And I highly doubt you have.

But, even if that were true, if I had to guess I'd say it would have a lot less to do with Christ himself and more to do with the people who follow him, or at least claim to. I, personally,have no problems with Jesus' teachings, and I haven't met anyone who does. It's like Ghandi (supposedly) said. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christiians."

And if you're an atheist, you personally have a problem with most of Jesus' teachings, as you believe they're false.

My sides XD
---
DarkContractor
#17kozlo100Posted 7/18/2013 3:31:42 PM
C_Mat posted...
Didn't you just prove my point, that they change the name of the holiday because it offends them?

Read the rest of the topic, this point was addressed like four times.

Though if you want the tl;dr version, they didn't change the name because it offended them, because the ones that did it were Christians, and they did it a thousand years ago.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#18SirThinkALotPosted 7/18/2013 4:40:47 PM
C_Mat posted...
lasthero posted...

You do realize that X is used in this manner because in Greek 'X' is the first letter of Christ?

Actually you probably dont if you think this is a real issue...
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#19Imperator420Posted 7/18/2013 7:27:05 PM
lasthero posted...
OrangePoet posted...
Why not Mohammed, or Buddha, or Shiva, or Ra, or Zeus, or Jupiter?

It's unbelievable how saying the name of Jesus is offensive. Satan knows the power that is in the name of Jesus so he wants to find any way he can to stop people from saying his name.

I have a problem with Christ's teachings.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#20lastheroPosted 7/18/2013 9:46:45 PM
Didn't you just prove my point, that they change the name of the holiday because it offends them?

No, and I don't see how you could make that connection. Even if I assumed it was something that was done recently and ignored the fact that it actually started with Christians - like you're doing, for some reason - just because they want the holiday without the religious part of it doesn't necessarily mean the religion or its teachings 'offend them'.

Most of his teachings are that he was the Son of God,

Really? Most? Because I distinctly remember him saying quite a great deal many other things, about humility, patience, how one is to treat their fellow man, et cetera. And, again, even if I don't subscribe to anything he says at all, that hardly means I have a problem with him. You seem to be in this strange lock, where you're either totally dedicated to something or you're completely against it. There's wiggle room in between. I have no more problem with Jesus than I do with Thor, Apollo, or any of the other gods I don't worship.

You were the first one to bring up your atheism.

I was referring to your statement that, as an atheist, I believed Jesus' teachings were false because I don't believe he was the son of God. You make it sound like this is a trait exclusive to atheists - the word you really want is 'non-believer', or 'non-Christian'.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]