This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the name of Jesus so effensive??

#41C_MatPosted 7/20/2013 8:40:42 AM
lasthero posted...
Your analogy fails.

I never said Jesus did anything bad, only that I don't buy into his supernatural claims - or at least the claims that the Bible says he made in that regard. I have no problem with him claiming to be the son of God in the Bible - it doesn't make any real difference to me. Perhaps I'm not stating my position clearly enough.

I do not think Jesus is the son of God. However, I think that, in the Bible, certain things he said or things that were attributed to him would be good moral teachings, regardless of religion or belief. I also find the spirit of certain things he did inspiring, even if I don't believe they actually happened. Just because I accept that he said some good things and had some positive, inspiring aspects doesn't mean that I believe he was the Son of God.

I never said Hitler did anything bad, only that I don't buy into his claims about Jews. I have no problem with him thinking some races are better than others - it doesn't make any real difference to me. Perhaps I'm not stating my position clearly enough. I do not think Hitler was right about Jewish people. However, I think that, in history, certain things he said or things that were attributed to him would be good moral teachings, regardless of religion or belief. I also find the spirit of certain things he said inspiring. Just because I accept that he said some good things and had some positive, inspiring aspects doesn't mean that I believe he was right to attempt genocide.

My analogy is pretty much perfect, as I barely had to change your words to apply the same meaning to Hitler that you did to Jesus.

I didn't reply to the first one because we can spend all day talking about how much Jesus said at what rate - it actually doesn't change the point at all. I still don't 'have a problem' with it, which is ultimately the focus of what we're talking about here.

The second and third points are covered just fine by my reply.

No, because I still have no idea whether you're talking about the Jesus in the Bible or a Jesus you're making up in your own head. So you need to clarify this if we're going to have a conversation about what kind of person He was.

And according to the Bible, Jesus went around claiming to be God incarnate more than anything else. You said you don't believe Jesus was the Son of God; fine. Then acknowledge whether most of His sayings came from a massive deception or being a crazy person.

If you're just say you don't think about those claims, you're free to do that but it's just plain intellectual dishonesty. You need to consider the whole person when forming an opinion about them, or you're as idiotic as someone saying Hitler was a moral example just because He had a couple of moral quotes while ignoring the wrong things he did.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#42inferiorweaselPosted 7/21/2013 1:00:15 PM
lasthero posted...
OrangePoet posted...
Why not Mohammed, or Buddha, or Shiva, or Ra, or Zeus, or Jupiter?

It's unbelievable how saying the name of Jesus is offensive. Satan knows the power that is in the name of Jesus so he wants to find any way he can to stop people from saying his name.

I have never met a single person in my entire life, both as a Christian or an atheist, who was offended by someone mentioning Jesus. And I highly doubt you have.

But, even if that were true, if I had to guess I'd say it would have a lot less to do with Christ himself and more to do with the people who follow him, or at least claim to. I, personally,have no problems with Jesus' teachings, and I haven't met anyone who does. It's like Ghandi (supposedly) said. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christiians."

I'm 31 and I work with a half dozen people alone who are offended at the name of Jesus. 1 is Jewish, 1 is Muslim, and the other 4 are agnostic.

There are many people that are angry at the name of Jesus, as well as Mohammed for that matter.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#43C_MatPosted 7/22/2013 11:27:35 AM
Still there, lasthero?
---
#44Thewinner14Posted 7/23/2013 2:22:38 PM
hunter_gohan posted...
lasthero posted...
I don't think most people know what the days of the week are named after, though I see your point.

Possibly not, the planets are quite blatant though. They aren't even changed slightly. Mars, Venus etc.

The first 6 months of the year also have pagan deity or festival references in their names. July and August too with Julius and Agustus being revered as godlike at one point.
---
3DS FC: 3496-9988-4201
AC:NL dream code: 4000-2184-5956
#45hunter_gohanPosted 7/23/2013 5:19:02 PM(edited)
Thewinner14 posted...
The first 6 months of the year also have pagan deity or festival references in their names. July and August too with Julius and Agustus being revered as godlike at one point.

lol I didn't even know that. I knew about July and August and I guess I just kinda assumed the other months were named after rulers too without ever caring enough to bother checking up on it. Though once I read this I guessed January was probably named after Janus and was right. January is now my favorite month :p Though this site says two of them are simply Latin verbs and not gods:

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/roman/months.htm

March being named after Mars seems pretty damn obvious in hindsight too :p
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#46C_MatPosted 7/27/2013 1:43:09 PM
BUMP for lasthero.
---
#47zero8691Posted 7/27/2013 1:52:31 PM
OrangePoet posted...
Why not Mohammed, or Buddha, or Shiva, or Ra, or Zeus, or Jupiter?

It's unbelievable how saying the name of Jesus is offensive. Satan knows the power that is in the name of Jesus so he wants to find any way he can to stop people from saying his name.

Where do you live at where the name "Jesus" is offensive?
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#48C_MatPosted 8/4/2013 8:11:59 PM
Help me lasthero, you're my only hope.
---
#49DarkContractorPosted 8/4/2013 8:29:43 PM
do you want him to stroke your ego or something and go "oh u were so right cmat thanks!"

i have a feeling he's ignoring you because youre not listening to anything he says.
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.
#50gamesrgreatPosted 8/4/2013 11:09:13 PM
So is C_Mat a poe or what? I mean he literally ignored like 4-5 posts explaining the X-Mas and X-tian thing...
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs