This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sam Harris gives atheists a good analogy as to what the religious feel like...

#1Faust_8Posted 7/19/2013 2:32:10 PM
...when we argue against them with science and facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDA0skyptuo

A 10 minute video going over all the social evils of burning wood in fireplaces that even rational people reject or ignore because a crackling fire is so comforting, familiar, and traditional.

I have to admit, this is a good video. While I do think I'll never be burning wood myself...I won't exactly tell anyone else they shouldn't. I have bonfires with my friends all the time and I'm not going to tell them we should stop. So this does drive the point home of how easy, and common, it is for people to let evidence they don't like slide out of their awareness. We're all guilty of it to some degree and this is why arguing against religion so often doesn't work; because to many religion is as comforting, familiar, and traditional as sitting around a fire.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#2Hustle KongPosted 7/19/2013 2:40:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/19/2013 3:17:01 PM
Why do you have to argue with religious people? Why cant you be content with what you believe and who you are?

It sounds like atheists who act like this or believe this have something empty that they are trying to fulfill and prove to world about something.

I dont have to argue with anybody about what i believe. If you have a question about my beliefs, then i have an answer.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#4Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 3:23:16 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Why do you have to argue with religious people? Why cant you be content with what you believe and who you are?

It sounds like atheists who act like this or believe this have something empty that they are trying to fulfill and prove to world about something.

I dont have to argue with anybody about what i believe. If you have a question about my beliefs, then i have an answer.

If your religion never affected me or other people in negative ways, I'd agree with you.
---
#5SuibomPosted 7/19/2013 3:42:01 PM
Faust, I watched it but I disagree with his analogy.

There's a difference between blatant disregard and conscientious objections.

A person who continues to burn wood after hearing the statistics aren't doing so because they believe the stats are wrong. They just don't care.

Some religious people may be the same way, but that's kind of a broad brushstroke to say all religious people are being that way because they just don't care. Some of us just don't agree with the "stats".
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#6Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 3:48:13 PM
I don't think it really matters whether you think the stats are wrong or you just don't care or just don't want them to be right--the reason for the refusal isn't important to the message.

And all the message is, is giving atheists/non-believers/freethinkers/etc a situation where they're hearing stuff they don't want to hear, so they can reflect on how that makes them feel and if it changes their outlook at all. It's not really a criticism of religious thought like you seem to be taking it because like I said, I don't think it really matters why we reject arguments against religion or burning wood. What matters is that we do it just because we're human.
---
#7Hustle KongPosted 7/19/2013 5:26:36 PM
When you say things like that, you make me feel bad about taking the piss out of you. ;p
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#8SirThinkALotPosted 7/19/2013 5:42:26 PM
Suibom posted...
Faust, I watched it but I disagree with his analogy.

There's a difference between blatant disregard and conscientious objections.

A person who continues to burn wood after hearing the statistics aren't doing so because they believe the stats are wrong. They just don't care.

Some religious people may be the same way, but that's kind of a broad brushstroke to say all religious people are being that way because they just don't care. Some of us just don't agree with the "stats".

I would also point out that one might agree with the stats, but still believe the god of their religion exists. Because frankly the two have nothing to do with each other.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#9JonWood007Posted 7/19/2013 6:35:10 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...

Funny, when I came out as an atheist on this board, this is what you sent me:

Jesus wants you back my brother

I just prayed for you for jesus to show himself to you and convict your spirit so you will come back to our fold. Where there is jesus there is life. The bible predicted the beliefs that you said in your topic:

"For all though they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise they became fools, and echanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles."

Romans 1:21-23

Were you or were you not trying to reconvert me?

Anyway, onto the video. If you want to burn wood, even after hearing these facts, then that's your choice. However, I don't know of many people who try to push their wood burning choices on someone else. You're not ostracized for not burning wood. You don't feel intense social pressure to burn wood. People, when you tell them you learned of burning wood's dangers and no longer do so, they try to get you to return to your former wood burning ways.

Religion is a lot like fighting the tide against cigarette smoking, to draw a similar analogy. For decades and even centuries, smoking was commonplace, smoking was weird. And when smoking's dangerous effects began to become known, corporations began trying to publish studies, and mislead public opinion as far as smoking's dangers. Smoking not only harms the smoker, but those in the smoker's vicinity. Religion not only harms your critical thinking skills, but its effects are seen far and wide. Much of the abortion and gay marriage debates in this country are informed by religious beliefs. People deny global warming because they don't think God would do that to us, but then when the weather acts weird, religious people often blame it on our "sins". Atheists, and rational thinkers often face prejudice in American society from Christians for their beliefs and lack thereof. In other cultures, where religion is even more pervasive and central, not being religious can kill you, as you are stoned to death or hanged or maimed.

But imagine a world, one decades ago, where knowledge regarding the harmful effects of smoking have not been made apparent yet, but they were known, and they were often opposed. Now imagine a slightly alternate reality in which nonsmokers were often mocked and discriminated against by others due to their habits. That's what being an atheist is like.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#10Moorish_IdolPosted 7/19/2013 6:39:42 PM
Everybody is mocked or discriminated against for one reason or another. Everyone is a "nonsmoker".