This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is forcing Religion abuse?

#1oarphishmoePosted 7/21/2013 9:40:11 PM(edited)
I had a couple Jehovah's Witness's come up to my property preaching and what not and I couldn't help but think how disrespectful that is.

Not to mention my wife was stopped at red light recently and this man proceeds to tell my wife that if she doesn't find god she will go to hell.

Granted, I didn't grow up religious, I've been to church a few times when I was younger but it had no effect on me.

So I ask: What is wrong with people? Why do people assume that other people are religious and that it's okay to preach to them? Especially outside of a church. Is it abuse or no?

I'm not an atheist by any means, I respect religion and all it has to offer but stuff like this just pisses me off. For all I know there could be 1 God, 2 Gods or 100 Gods but for people to preach in that aspect is completely disrespectful and the next time I they approach my residence I am calling the police.

EDIT: I guess this is a rant but I can't be the only one who shares this view.
---
Proud fan of The Miami Dolphins, Miami Hurricanes, Syracuse Orange Basketball and The New York Mets.
#2Faust_8Posted 7/21/2013 9:46:47 PM
I don't think calling the cops will do anything since nothing illegal has taken place.

Just shut the door the instant you see them. You can't stop them from coming to your door anymore than you can stop any random person from knocking. Your house is connected to public land, you can't stop people without a gate or something.

Also, I wouldn't exactly say they're assuming you're religious. Atheist or non-JW they think you're in danger all the same so it doesn't matter to them if you're religious or not.

Is proselytizing silly, disrespectful, arrogant, and stupid? Yes. Harmful? Not really. I think more harm comes in raising children without any religious freedom in their lives ("My religion is true, Billy, and that's that, you better believe what I do." That fosters too many unquestioning fools.)
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#3oarphishmoe(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 9:55:56 PM
For the record, my property is private. The only people I want coming to my door is friends, family, the pizza guy and the people who are interested in buying my 05' Honda Accord.

I understand that they think I need to be "saved" or I'm in "danger" but I don't care. They are assuming so and they are basically wanting me to believe what they believe in. Especially when you get harassed at a red light or even worse, your own home.
---
Proud fan of The Miami Dolphins, Miami Hurricanes, Syracuse Orange Basketball and The New York Mets.
#4Magyar15Posted 7/21/2013 10:02:14 PM
Oh no! People trying to convince someone to believe the same thing you do. What a shame...
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#5Faust_8Posted 7/21/2013 10:03:39 PM
I did say it was arrogant and disrespectful. No disagreement there.

However, it's just annoying, not "harmful." And granted since you're on private property you should be able to tell them to not come back.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#6oarphishmoe(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 10:09:45 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Oh no! People trying to convince someone to believe the same thing you do. What a shame...

It is actually a shame.

And Faust, yeah you are right. I was being respectful to them when they said what they had to say but if they do come back, I will tell them to never come back.

Honestly, I am more upset about my wife being harassed for no reason.

I guess there are more religious fanatics than I thought.
---
#7SGamePosted 7/21/2013 10:46:06 PM
I fail to see where it is disrespectful? I can understand the random religious guy threatening your wife as being disrespectful but I don't see how people coming up to your door is disrespectful? But that's just me.
---
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi"- Jango Fett
#8Moorish_IdolPosted 7/21/2013 10:49:08 PM(edited)
Not sure if there's any truth to this, but I was told years ago that you can simply call the church that the JW missionaries are affiliated with and ask to be left alone, and they will.

Never got around to trying it myself (they outright stopped visiting me after a few times for some reason, even though I'd see them walking in my neighborhood). Might be worth a shot.
#9Imperator420Posted 7/22/2013 1:23:58 AM
oarphishmoe posted...
For the record, my property is private. The only people I want coming to my door is friends, family, the pizza guy and the people who are interested in buying my 05' Honda Accord.

I understand that they think I need to be "saved" or I'm in "danger" but I don't care. They are assuming so and they are basically wanting me to believe what they believe in. Especially when you get harassed at a red light or even worse, your own home.

I know it's difficult for middle class Americans to grasp this, but people are allowed to come to your door. I don't think I was ever arrested for trick or treating, and that's definitely solicitation.

Tell them that you aren't interested and ask them not to come back. That's what I did when Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door and I didn't see them again until I moved to a different house, where I told them the same thing.

I mean, I'm confused about this whole "Jehovah's Witnesses coming to my door" thing. They have a couple of churches where I live and they don't come back if asked politely (or even rudely) not to. Are there certain neighborhoods where they continually harass people despite being told they're not welcome? If so, that's an actual problem that needs to be addressed, but that hasn't been my experience.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#10Imperator420Posted 7/22/2013 1:28:08 AM
oarphishmoe posted...
Magyar15 posted...

It is actually a shame.

And Faust, yeah you are right. I was being respectful to them when they said what they had to say but if they do come back, I will tell them to never come back.

Honestly, I am more upset about my wife being harassed for no reason.

I guess there are more religious fanatics than I thought.

I'm sure you must have it really tough, with some old ladies coming over once offering a bible and all that, but I don't think a reasonable person would say anyone involved was harassed.

Why didn't you tell them never to come back when they were there? it worked for me. You have only yourself to blame if they do return.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7