This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so why did the atheists change their tune when it came to "The Secret" ?

#1AdamKesher2001Posted 7/23/2013 6:36:57 PM(edited)
So many are jumping on that law of attraction bandwagon even though it's invisible, , can't be felt, can't be heard, and can't be detected.

.... is that a little hypocritical ?

-
#2Hustle KongPosted 7/23/2013 6:38:02 PM
I don't know one atheist who didn't deride The Secret for being complete garbage.

Not that that idiocy is something an atheist couldn't believe in, but none I have ever met, did.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3mrplainswalkerPosted 7/23/2013 6:40:10 PM
Atheism has nothing to do with the Secret. You can be religious or atheist and still believe that crap.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#4Hustle KongPosted 7/23/2013 6:43:00 PM
Also, I'd be pretty amused to see anyone jump on a seven year old "bandwagon".
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5SirThinkALotPosted 7/23/2013 6:52:42 PM
Did anybody, atheist, Christian or otherwise ever actually believe in that law of attraction stuff?
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#6AynRandySavagePosted 7/23/2013 7:40:59 PM
Being an atheist doesn't mean you aren't an idiot. But I don't know any atheists who believe in the secret.
#7Faust_8Posted 7/24/2013 3:18:28 PM
I have no idea what "The Secret" even is.

*Googles*

Who the hell would take this seriously? How is this any different from ESP or telekinesis?

It's also striking me as taking this philosophy--"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it"--and adding magic to it. Instead of a "stay positive and you'll do better" message it's saying a "stay positive and reality will change for you" message.

Point is there are reasons to have a positive outlook without adding supernatural elements to it.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#8Imperator420Posted 7/24/2013 3:35:02 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9rick alveradoPosted 7/24/2013 6:19:00 PM
Faust_8 posted...
I have no idea what "The Secret" even is.

*Googles*

Who the hell would take this seriously? How is this any different from ESP or telekinesis?

It's also striking me as taking this philosophy--"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it"--and adding magic to it. Instead of a "stay positive and you'll do better" message it's saying a "stay positive and reality will change for you" message.

Point is there are reasons to have a positive outlook without adding supernatural elements to it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, don't go insulting ESP and telekinesis by comparing them to this "The Secret". While we humans can't move things with our mind, it's a documented fact that Martians can. "The Secret" on the other hand is complete baloney, except that it doesn't go good in a sandwich.
#10SilentWolfPosted 7/24/2013 8:45:07 PM
As an atheist I find The Secret to be downright loony to say the least. I'd still think that regardless of any religious beliefs or lack thereof. It's simple logic.
---
Love Isn't the tie that binds, that takes a half pound of cold steel. Cuff accordingly. 1*