This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Are Mormons Christians?

#11mrplainswalkerPosted 7/24/2013 10:31:20 PM
bsballa09 posted...
mrplainswalker posted...
Anybody who says they're a Christian is a Christian as far as I'm concerned. It does no good to debate people about the labels they choose for themselves.

How far does someone have to deviate from Christianity where you say they can't be Christian?

I thought I was clear about that. There is no amount of deviation. If they say they are, they are. I'm not going to debate them.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#12PedroMontanaPosted 7/25/2013 4:35:47 AM
Well, from what i understand they use the same Bible and then have some additional scriptures on top of that, so i think if they want to label themselves as Christians they can legitimately do so, like all Christians might as well label themselves as Jews.

bsballa09 posted...
How far does someone have to deviate from Christianity where you say they can't be Christian?

Well, i think a think a "Christian" religion should be based on the NT in a reasonable way. So just using a cross as a symbol like Scientology isn't enough (Why do they even do that? I don't see them claiming to be Christian).
Something that twists the NT in absurd ways (like Positive Christianity claiming Jesus was a German immigrant to avoid the conflict between Christianity and NS racism) also doesn't qualify as Christianity in my opinion.
---
No More Heroes
#13ThuggernautzPosted 7/25/2013 5:53:29 AM
PedroMontana posted...
(like Positive Christianity claiming Jesus was a German immigrant to avoid the conflict between Christianity and NS racism) also doesn't qualify as Christianity in my opinion.

I... had never heard of this.

Positive Christianity (German: Positives Christentum) was a movement within Nazi Germany which blended ideas of racial purity with Christian doctrine. It was adopted as part of the official party doctrine at the Nazi Party Congress in 1920 to express a worldview which was supposedly Christian, non-confessional, virulently anti-Semitic, and oriented to the principle of voluntary association of those with a common racial-ethnic background.[1] In 1937, Hans Kerrl, the Nazi Minister for Church Affairs, defined "Positive Christianity" as not "dependent upon the Apostle's Creed", nor in "faith in Christ as the son of God", but rather, as being represented by the Nazi Party: "The Fuehrer is the herald of a new revelation", he said.

Huh, so there was an actual religion devoted to worshipping Hitler. Crazy.
#14Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/25/2013 11:14:49 AM
mrplainswalker posted...
Anybody who says they're a Christian is a Christian as far as I'm concerned. It does no good to debate people about the labels they choose for themselves.

That does not make sense. You cannot claim to belong to a group unless you do what the group does.

Your not going to accept this- but you are absolutely wrong in every way. You do not belong to a religion or any group just by the words of your mouth. Actions speak louder than words any day of the week.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#15TheBlackCat13Posted 7/25/2013 3:12:49 PM
They certainly aren't members of what you would call a "mainstream" Christian denomination, but they are probably within the range of beliefs that have, at some point in history, been accepted within Christianity.
---
Man Is The Lowest Cost, 150 Pound, Nonlinear, All-purpose Computer System Which Can Be Mass Produced By Unskilled Labor
-- NASA
#16OogallyPosted 7/25/2013 4:47:22 PM
mrplainswalker posted...
bsballa09 posted...
mrplainswalker posted...

I thought I was clear about that. There is no amount of deviation. If they say they are, they are. I'm not going to debate them.

I really don't get how you can believe self-identification is the only thing that matters. Do I get to call myself a Muslim even if I worship the ancient Greek gods?

PedroMontana posted...
Well, from what i understand they use the same Bible and then have some additional scriptures on top of that, so i think if they want to label themselves as Christians they can legitimately do so, like all Christians might as well label themselves as Jews.

I'm not sure if this is serious or ironic, but it would definitely work a lot better as the latter.
#17OogallyPosted 7/25/2013 4:53:35 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
PedroMontana posted...
(like Positive Christianity claiming Jesus was a German immigrant to avoid the conflict between Christianity and NS racism) also doesn't qualify as Christianity in my opinion.

I... had never heard of this.

Positive Christianity (German: Positives Christentum) was a movement within Nazi Germany which blended ideas of racial purity with Christian doctrine. It was adopted as part of the official party doctrine at the Nazi Party Congress in 1920 to express a worldview which was supposedly Christian, non-confessional, virulently anti-Semitic, and oriented to the principle of voluntary association of those with a common racial-ethnic background.[1] In 1937, Hans Kerrl, the Nazi Minister for Church Affairs, defined "Positive Christianity" as not "dependent upon the Apostle's Creed", nor in "faith in Christ as the son of God", but rather, as being represented by the Nazi Party: "The Fuehrer is the herald of a new revelation", he said.

Huh, so there was an actual religion devoted to worshipping Hitler. Crazy.

Not really on topic but yeah, attempts to reconcile Christianity with White Supremacist views are fascinatingly elaborate. If you're cool with reading some insanely anti-semitic literature it's definitely something interesting to look in to.