This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Probability of God Test

#1the_hedonistPosted 7/24/2013 11:57:12 AM
http://www.is-there-a-god.info/prgod/tt-pgod.shtml
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#2JonWood007Posted 7/24/2013 12:07:01 PM
You believe it is almost certain that God doesn't exist, with a calculated probability of 0.0005.

I think it weighed some of my answers a bit too heavily, since some questions i admitted it would be equally plausible or even more plausible for God to exist for some things to happen (mainly the argument from design stuff). However, when we hit the problem of evil stuff, I was like no freaking away and hit more extreme answers.

I'd say my real probability for God existing would be closer to, idk, 0.1 or 0.2. I recognize it as a possibility, just a rather unlikely one. 0.0005 (or 0.05%) seems a bit low, even for me.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#3ThuggernautzPosted 7/24/2013 12:22:55 PM
Sigh. Question 2 is completely wrong. Scientists, nor the Big Bang theory posit that the universe came "from nothing". There is no claim on the precursor conditions before the big bang as part of that theory, and no scientist has ever shown that there even is such a thing as absolutely nothing. This is not a great start. Anyway, I will continue with it.
#4ThuggernautzPosted 7/24/2013 12:34:59 PM
This whole test actually presents a false dichotomy. There are many, many different hypotheses for the generation of the universe of which God is but one. It's not "God vs Science" like this test is trying to determine...

For example, this paragraph:

Cosmologists tell us there are many facts about the universe that have to be exactly as they are within very fine tolerances for the universe to have continued for so long and life to form (see Science and the design of the universe). Some say only God could have brought this about; others say that science can explain it.

Leads to this explanation in the link:

The universe looks like it was designed. This page outlines the scientific facts that seem to fit together just right to produce life, and examines the probability that this could happen by chance.

Absolute horse****. I would argue the universe looks chaotic, and that all evidence points to eventual thermodynamic death, far from any intelligent design. Furthermore, the fact that we are created within this framework means that we look at the universe's conditions as being 'right' because that's the only one we know of and can currently test for. Thirdly, there are multiple hypotheses which include multiple universes.

Also, this question:

Many people believe that God has revealed himself through one of the world's major religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc). Choose whichever of these religions you find most plausible and decide ....

Why not ask that of and analyse religions as a whole, or ask to focus on a religion that isn't currently prominent?

And lastly, just to show the stupid bias of this test:

Question5 & 6: It is hard to see how God's existence makes the evolution of rational, conscious, freely choosing and/or ethical beings less likely than if he didn't exist. Perhaps the probabilities would have to be at least equal?

"You didn't give us the answer we want, therefore you're wrong and you should do it again." Never mind the fact that question 6 asks about subjective vs objective morality, the latter of which can not be proven to exist whilst the former can. Ridiculous.
#5SirThinkALotPosted 7/24/2013 12:36:32 PM
You believe it is almost certain that God exists, with a calculated probability of 0.9983.

Interesting test to say the least.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#6kts123Posted 7/24/2013 12:40:21 PM
Well, interestingly I answered the same as I would have when I was an atheist. These were my results:

Your views about the universe, humanity and life have led you to this conclusion:
You don't have a strong opinion but you think God probably exists - the calculated probability is 0.75.

Your answers seem to be consistent, and I have no comments to make or anomalies to bring to your attention. Well done
#7JonWood007Posted 7/24/2013 12:43:35 PM(edited)
Yeah, looking deeper into the methodology, an extreme answer multiplies or divides your probability by a favor of 5 or 10, while weaker answers will only multiply or divide something by like 2 or something.

So I have a couple weak answers in favor of god (like 5s on the 7 point likert scale), but those were completely blown out by some of my 1s or 2s. I mean, looking at it, I started with 25% based on my first answer, might've gotten that up to like, idk, 50%, then it got decimated to <1% levels.

Not to mention, while I respect the fact they used likert scales to gauge the varying intensity of your answers, some of the questions did set up false dichotomies. Like, science can explain the answers, but so can God, stuff like that. It's an okay test, but very flawed. As I said, I think my real probability is around 10%.

I mean, at one point, they asked me whether I thought the most plausible religion was made by god or not. I said no, since I find all religious to be bunk, and then it said in the results I gave a contradictory answer. No....your question is just worded very poorly.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#8kozlo100Posted 7/24/2013 12:49:48 PM
Dammit, I was really hoping this was going to be a fair test. It would've been really interesting if they'd been more fair and careful with the phrasing of the questions.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#9kozlo100Posted 7/24/2013 12:54:22 PM
The "Analysis of your answers" section really tells the tail that they are asking leading questions, and not neutral ones.

Question5 & 6: It is hard to see how God's existence makes the evolution of rational, conscious, freely choosing and/or ethical beings less likely than if he didn't exist. Perhaps the probabilities would have to be at least equal?

Really? You had a 'right' answer that I should've selected?
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#10PhoroPosted 7/24/2013 2:04:48 PM
Wow, that test was just moronic. And biased. And incredibly narrow-minded. And at the end, it was almost condescending.
---
What she asked of me, at the end of the day...
Caligula would have blushed.