This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Probability of God Test

#21hunter_gohanPosted 7/25/2013 11:56:35 AM
gamesrgreat posted...
^I was going off of the Abrahamic God since the creator asked between Xtianity, Islam and Judaism

Even still that doesn't help much. Christianity has the included pagan duality of opposing good and evil forces while Judaism has no such thing.

http://biblehub.com/isaiah/45-7.htm

The Jewish God could be describe as indifferent or perhaps neutral while Christians like to handwave away the above verse.

There's also varying degrees of interventionism within them. Some Christians go for that faith healing crap while others take a more "God helps those who help themselves" type stance. There are creationist vs sane people within Christianity, and also those who describe him as little different from Loki doing various stuff and then hiding all the evidence that he ever intervened or even going so far as to place evidence for things which never happened.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#22gamesrgreatPosted 7/25/2013 12:09:38 PM(edited)
Of course there are a lot of interpretations of god but I don't think it was hard to see what kind of god the creator of the poll is thinking of. He is obviously a Christian and I thought it was reflected in his questions. I answered strongly on a lot of his questions just b/c he had me thinking of the Christian god

Seems like your objection is kinda reminiscent of his first question about the concept of god. You are kinda looking for extreme minority positions. And I would appreciate it if you didn't call creationists insane even if their belief is completely illogical and unjustifiable.
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#23Moorish_IdolPosted 7/25/2013 12:53:43 PM
The poll creator refers to their God as "she" at least twice. Is that acceptable in Christianity?

From the poll alone, the author sounds more deist to me (although they kinda hint to some personal qualities, so I'm not completely sure).
#24lastheroPosted 7/25/2013 12:59:04 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
The poll creator refers to their God as "she" at least twice. Is that acceptable in Christianity?

From the poll alone, the author sounds more deist to me (although they kinda hint to some personal qualities, so I'm not completely sure).

Depends. The hymnal at my church occasionally refers to God as 'Father and Mother' during the responsive readings. We had to go through and edit those all out by hand.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#25gamesrgreatPosted 7/25/2013 12:59:47 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...

Yeah I noticed that but the author confirms he/she is a christian in the comments
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#26Moorish_IdolPosted 7/25/2013 1:03:33 PM(edited)
gamesrgreat posted...
Moorish_Idol posted...

Yeah I noticed that but the author confirms he/she is a christian in the comments

Ah okay.

Well that's interesting. Considering how male-centric the Abrahamic religions are, I never thought I'd see a Christian use a female pronoun for God.
#27hunter_gohanPosted 7/25/2013 1:38:57 PM
gamesrgreat posted...
Seems like your objection is kinda reminiscent of his first question about the concept of god. You are kinda looking for extreme minority positions.

This is the one question I didn't answer 4 for. I choose 2 "doesn't have much meaning, so God is in principle unlikely." because frankly the word god has been used to describe everything from the direct cause of various natural events to an impersonal, non-interventionist deist god to the universe itself. It then goes on and apparently assumes for the rest of a the test a very specific meaning of god which is never defined, and after answering 2 in the first question I don't see why I'd have to contradict that and answer all the rest with a very specific definition of god in mind. That's just a bad test. What's the point of asking opinions and allowing a "doesn't have much meaning" answer and then expect them to answer all the rest of the questions with his specific god in mind? Which again isn't even defined even if he's a Christian.

And I would appreciate it if you didn't call creationists insane even if their belief is completely illogical and unjustifiable.

It's not just illogical and unjustifiable though. it's directly falsified by the evidenced. What else are people who willfully ignore evidence in favor of what they want reality to be? Though perhaps you could mix in charlatans and those duped by said charlatans.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#28gamesrgreatPosted 7/25/2013 2:04:52 PM
I'm not arguing with you that it is a good test lol...

It's not just illogical and unjustifiable though. it's directly falsified by the evidenced. What else are people who willfully ignore evidence in favor of what they want reality to be? Though perhaps you could mix in charlatans and those duped by said charlatans.

You underestimate how easy it is to be ignorant. Most of the people I know in real life are Creationists. They don't know anything about the evidence for evolution. They aren't insane. I have a friend who is legitimately a genius and he is a Creationist just because his dad is a geneticist who is a Creationist. He sounds like a complete idiot when he talks about evolution vs creation but he isn't insane. I wasn't insane when I believed in Creation. I just hadn't examined the evidence for evolution. But I guess if you like throwing out insults and characterizing people who disagree with you as insane then I can't stop you
---