This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question of free will on The Science Channel.

#1bsballa09Posted 7/24/2013 1:56:29 PM
Its on Through The Wormhole at 9EST. TTW is one of the best, if not the best educational show on TV, with the exception of Nova.
---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game
Mass Effect is an RPG. Get over it.
#2Imperator420Posted 7/24/2013 3:41:53 PM
"Free will" is an incoherent concept. You can't choose what you desire, because in order to make such a choice, you would have to have desires to begin with. If you had a machine that regulated your brain function, you could program it to make you want to do good, but there's a reason you chose to program it that way.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#3kozlo100Posted 7/24/2013 3:51:56 PM
I too, enjoy stating one of many competing notions about a subject as if it were intuitively obvious fact.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4Imperator420Posted 7/24/2013 3:54:44 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I too, enjoy stating one of many competing notions about a subject as if it were intuitively obvious fact.

I've noticed this tendency.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#5ThuggernautzPosted 7/24/2013 4:01:14 PM
bsballa09 posted...
Its on Through The Wormhole at 9EST. TTW is one of the best, if not the best educational show on TV, with the exception of Nova.

I agree, I love that show. Morgan Freeman talking about science and philosophy makes me happy. I wonder how the new Cosmos will stack up next to it...
#6DeadPresidents2Posted 7/24/2013 4:53:35 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
bsballa09 posted...

I agree, I love that show. Morgan Freeman talking about science and philosophy makes me happy. I wonder how the new Cosmos will stack up next to it...

Agreed, he makes everything sound so mysterious. They also have great guests on there too, I saw one not too long ago with Michio Kaku talking, was pretty sweet.

There's one coming up on theistic evolution too, and I'm really curious to see what the people on this board say about it.
---
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
#7Julian_CaesarPosted 7/25/2013 8:06:49 PM
DeadPresidents2 posted...
There's one coming up on theistic evolution too, and I'm really curious to see what the people on this board say about it.

That's a VERY dicey topic for them to be tackling, from a scientific point of view. It's all well and good to sit down and tell YEC that science disagrees with them; it's quite another thing to discuss something like OEC which says that science is completely right about everything it is capable of observing. I'm curious to watch it, just to see how philosophically rigorous their writing will be.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#8Faust_8Posted 7/26/2013 12:40:51 AM
What I've seen of TTW hasn't impressed me. Granted, it was just snippets but frankly what I saw was them presenting things that its viewers should already know but acting like it was a dramatic reveal.

I dunno, it just seemed almost full of itself. Nothing like Carl Sagan's Cosmos where I felt like he was sharing his own joy and awe. TTW was more like *Presents fact with dramatic music and animations* Aren't you so impressed right now?!

Watching Cosmos was almost like a zen mediation for me, whereas TTW and Nova typically leave me thinking they're just presenting old news in a flashy way. I found myself watching animations and thinking "jeez can you actually get to something profound instead of showing CGI all the time?" There should be more to it than just stating a fact while the screen does something futuristic.

Granted, maybe a bit further in the series it would actually start educating me. Maybe I have to really sit down and watch it. I could be completely off base right now and doing it severe injustice. But that was my impression. I never felt like that, ever, when watching Cosmos. Even when I heard something I already knew, Sagan injected it with such wonder and poignancy.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#9MasterSplinterWPosted 7/26/2013 1:32:30 AM
Ancient Aliens is much better, relevant to facts and what not
---
On the 261, just remember that you aren't allowed to make a single assertion, assumption, or declaration without stats, studies, and followup to said studies.
#10myzz7Posted 7/26/2013 4:03:21 AM
Imperator420 posted...
"Free will" is an incoherent concept. You can't choose what you desire, because in order to make such a choice, you would have to have desires to begin with. If you had a machine that regulated your brain function, you could program it to make you want to do good, but there's a reason you chose to program it that way.

Someone saw that Sam Harris video.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif