This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you console a deconverting friend?

#31Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/26/2013 1:14:50 PM
Gods word says that the holy spirit will convict those trying to fall away. Her bad feeling is purely intentional. It is because part of her feels what she is doing is wrong. If you are a real friend than dont encourage her to be like you. Let her make her own decision. You asked for help and i gave you a bible verse up above. Dont be selfish.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#32DarkContractorPosted 7/26/2013 3:19:45 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Gods word says that the holy spirit will convict those trying to fall away. Her bad feeling is purely intentional. It is because part of her feels what she is doing is wrong. If you are a real friend than dont encourage her to be like you. Let her make her own decision. You asked for help and i gave you a bible verse up above. Dont be selfish.

shut the **** up
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.
#33SuibomPosted 7/26/2013 7:12:37 PM(edited)
I can't believe I'm even saying this, but...

What Polish said.

She said it feels like a bad break up gone wrong.

In other words, this isn't some opportunity for you to drag her out of her faith (and into your bed). Be a good friend, let her work through it, listen to her, answer her questions, and BE a friend, not Mr. Atheist Evangelist.

Ugh... I can't believe I agreed with Polish. I feel like my phone screen needs a shower.

EDIT: That was really mean of me. Polish, I'm sorry for saying that, if you'll forgive me. I'm proud to quote you. That was good stuff.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#34Magyar15Posted 7/26/2013 6:59:45 PM
What Suibom said
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#35JonWood007Posted 7/26/2013 7:30:21 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...

Social systems often have ways to enforce conformity. One such way, which is especially prevalent in religions, is an internalization of the moral system at hand, to the point if you attempt to leave it, your mind pulls a guilt trip on you over it. It's not a spirit, it's all just psychology and sociology.

I agree in the sense that I don't think DC should take advantage of her, but at the same time, I see nothing wrong with DC telling her his perspective on religion though. Honestly, it's good for her to get both sides of the argument tbqh.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#36DarkContractorPosted 7/27/2013 12:35:10 AM
Suibom posted...
I can't believe I'm even saying this, but...

What Polish said.

She said it feels like a bad break up gone wrong.

In other words, this isn't some opportunity for you to drag her out of her faith (and into your bed). Be a good friend, let her work through it, listen to her, answer her questions, and BE a friend, not Mr. Atheist Evangelist.

Ugh... I can't believe I agreed with Polish. I feel like my phone screen needs a shower.

EDIT: That was really mean of me. Polish, I'm sorry for saying that, if you'll forgive me. I'm proud to quote you. That was good stuff.

Lol she's been deconverted for a few weeks, shes im not gonna tell her what to believe but i will answer her questions and ****
---
#37Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/27/2013 6:39:07 PM
Suiborn- i lol'd. I dont take these boards too personally anymore. I just want people to have answers to christ and the bible in the best way i can give. I like you bro, thanks for the apology. Dont let the politics and hive mind of the boards convince you that Me nor any other believer is crazy just for sticking up for what the bible says and standing firm on biblical principles.

Jonwood- Bless your heart, you mean well. But your 100% wrong. This woman asked for help with her faith being attacked. Its unclear whether its being attacked internally or externally, but there is nothing wrong with believing the christian faith. If you argue that i will point to statistics that being christian benefits life in every way- economic, low crime, etc. but thats a whole different topic. He asked for help and i gave it to her. But your personal biased aside and try to help the poor girl. I have no idea why she would come to an atheist for that type of help. But maybe she doesnt know too many christians. I used to go to college full time. Most colleges are very anti christian. But either way, stay on topic and put your bias aside.
---
#38JonWood007Posted 7/27/2013 7:23:13 PM
If you argue that i will point to statistics that being christian benefits life in every way- economic, low crime, etc. but thats a whole different topic

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.pdf

I'm sorry, but the data supports quite the opposite.

Most colleges are very anti christian.

In my experience colleges are a lot more pro religion than you give them credit for. Whenever something happened on campus, like a student died or whatever, they'd always promote spiritual guidance to whoever sought it. Heck, the institution i went to grad school at (where i lost my faith in the last semester) was a catholic one.

In my experience, all college does is encourage critical thinking. It requires that if you hold an opinion that you support it with evidence. In college, the only wrong answer is an answer you cannot adequately defend. Religion is actually given a lot of leeway on college campuses, and most college campuses do not attack people for holding religious beliefs. They only look down on you if you have views that you can't properly defend.

If your can't defend your views, then perhaps you should rethink your entire perspective? And if christianity is undefendable, then perhaps it's best left in the dustbin of history?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#39DarkContractorPosted 7/29/2013 10:40:50 AM
Nowhere did I say she felt her faith was under attack. She just realized faith in itself is illogical. And apparently I'm being mr. Atheist evangelical by trying to give her advice to adapt to her depression and answer her questions. The book I gave her is pretty much an explanation of the difference in things like free thinker, humanist, and gives a rundown of secular epistemology. And apparently I'm being selfish for not sending her Bible verses. Why do Christians like to think the universe revolves around them?
---
#40Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/29/2013 1:34:55 PM
DC, are you the same thing as the Topic Creator? If so then you contradicted yourself. The topic says "how to console a deconverting friend". I gave the verses to console them. I answered the original question. Evangelizing atheism should be treated no different as evangelizing christianity as far as judgement goes. THe only difference- christianity encourages support of something, atheism encourages non support or against something. Keep in mind atheism means not believing in God according to the dictionary. Dont add codewords or editorialize to make your position sound "more logical" when it is really not.
---