This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I decided to google "Why dont people follow Jesus"

#1Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/26/2013 6:55:56 AM
Interesting stuff. First link was the best:

http://gailsangle.net/2011/10/17/reasons-why-people-dont-follow-jesus/

Heres an even more indepth one:

http://lawofliberty.com/sermons/Resources/whypeoplerefusetofollow.pdf

Post thoughts.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#2OrangeWizardPosted 7/26/2013 6:58:05 AM
You first
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#3lastheroPosted 7/26/2013 6:59:52 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
You first

Yeah, this. Why should I post my opinion when you can't even be bothered to?
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#4Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 7:06:01 AM
Oh, im sorry. Well, i pretty much agree with what the articles were saying.

-I think most non believers dont even know what jesus preaches or what the bible says about general life topics. Such as- the gay debate, the value of life, how to treat non believers. A majority of people i get into religious conversations with just hear something from some radio shockjock or hear some story from class and think that christians want everyone to sit inside all day, never play video games, never have sex, etc. Its just simply not true. The bible has a whole book dedicated to sexual romance (song of solomon).

-A lot of people are unwilling to go through sacrifice to please God. People thing that just doing things they perceive as good will get them eternal life. Not even close. What would be the point of God if we could get to heaven without him? That does not make sense. God created heaven. The only way to get to heaven is to do what god wants us to do.

Those I think are the two biggest factors from modern american non believers that i see:

1.)Mis information/lies about what christianity is actually about
2.)Unwillingness to give up temporary life pleasures to live a life that pleases God.

The articles went into a lot deeper depth. But i basically agree on all the main points.
---
#5Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 7:11:42 AM
Also, let me add, that i am not immune to those 2 biggest problems i stated.

I myself just recently started regularly reading the bible in the past 2 years. Now i read it every single day. I never really took tithing seriously, i never took abstinence seriously. In modern day america society pressures us to do what feels good in all situations. I had to deprogram myself from this self obsessed mind set. I have to be honest, i am a weak man. I have not been the best christian over the years. But especially in the past few months i have changed a lot.

Taking God seriously is no easy task. But it is very rewarding.

:)
---
#6rick alveradoPosted 7/26/2013 7:19:35 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Oh, im sorry. Well, i pretty much agree with what the articles were saying.

-I think most non believers dont even know what jesus preaches or what the bible says about general life topics. Such as- the gay debate, the value of life, how to treat non believers. A majority of people i get into religious conversations with just hear something from some radio shockjock or hear some story from class and think that christians want everyone to sit inside all day, never play video games, never have sex, etc. Its just simply not true. The bible has a whole book dedicated to sexual romance (song of solomon).

-A lot of people are unwilling to go through sacrifice to please God. People thing that just doing things they perceive as good will get them eternal life. Not even close. What would be the point of God if we could get to heaven without him? That does not make sense. God created heaven. The only way to get to heaven is to do what god wants us to do.

Those I think are the two biggest factors from modern american non believers that i see:

1.)Mis information/lies about what christianity is actually about
2.)Unwillingness to give up temporary life pleasures to live a life that pleases God.

The articles went into a lot deeper depth. But i basically agree on all the main points.

The second reason doesn't apply to non-believers, it applies to people who believe but don't follow. Even the first reason implies that belief is automatic if you hear what the Bible says.
#7Faust_8Posted 7/26/2013 7:59:41 AM
I could generalize just as poorly by saying Christians just don't know anything about the universe and that's why they believe fairy stories about it.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#8lastheroPosted 7/26/2013 8:20:31 AM(edited)
I think most non believers dont even know what jesus preaches or what the bible says about general life topics. Such as- the gay debate, the value of life, how to treat non believers. A majority of people i get into religious conversations with just hear something from some radio shockjock or hear some story from class and think that christians want everyone to sit inside all day, never play video games, never have sex, etc. Its just simply not true. The bible has a whole book dedicated to sexual romance (song of solomon).

I'd say it's more of a case of non-believers not caring about those things. Most non-believers already have their own religion - why would any of this matter to a Hindu or a Buddhist? And I can't imagine you'd find that a very convincing argument in the reverse, either; if a Hindu came to you and told you the only reason you're not his religion is because you haven't read up and truly understood it, would it compel you to convert to Hinduism?

Addition: Also, I have a hard time believing anyone's ever told you they believe the Bible commands Christians to NEVER have sex.

A lot of people are unwilling to go through sacrifice to please God.

So you believe that a lot of people are aware God exists, but don't want to do things that please him because they find it's too hard...even though they're fully aware that their failure in this respect will doom them to eternal torment. Huh. What's your basis for this opinion?
---
#9Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 8:21:14 AM
Iasthero, you know the U.K. has some good churches that are growing right? Look up hillsong churches in U.K.
---
#10lastheroPosted 7/26/2013 8:22:57 AM
I see no reason to doubt your assertion, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything I said.
---