This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Attention Athiests, christians!

#1zero8691Posted 7/28/2013 7:31:47 PM
When you think of a christian what kind of person you think of?

When I think of a christian I think of the Lukewarm christian who say "Poor should work hard, No healthcare for them, they gave themselves diabetes, cancer, asthma ect"
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#2SirThinkALotPosted 7/28/2013 7:35:50 PM
zero8691 posted...

When I think of a christian I think of the Lukewarm christian who say "Poor should work hard, No healthcare for them, they gave themselves diabetes, cancer, asthma ect"

I think of an actually Christian(as opposed to a nominal Christian) as somebody who says 'gee it sucks that you have cancer, here I'll help pay for your treatment.'
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 7/28/2013 8:00:22 PM
I think about the vast majority of Christians I know who I am friends with, instead of the fringe groups who don't speak for the religion on a whole.
#4Polish_CrusaderPosted 7/28/2013 8:01:51 PM
I think of someone who pursues the values expressed and preached by Jesus Christ.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#5OrangeWizardPosted 7/28/2013 8:04:15 PM
Bale.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#6mercurydudePosted 7/28/2013 8:08:36 PM
When I think of the ideal, I think of people like Kahlil Gibran, Thomas Merton, MLK, Miep Gies, and Ammon Hennacy.

When I think of the sad reality, I think of people like the "God Warrior", Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, Bryan Fischer, Anita Bryant, Michelle Bachmann, and Ted Haggard.

To be fair, I live in the American south, so I may be overexposed when it comes to right wing Christianity.
---
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
- Thomas Jefferson, writing on the subject of religion
#7QwelzaarKanePosted 7/28/2013 8:09:02 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
I think of someone who pursues the values expressed and preached by Jesus Christ.

This, but that's ignoring the majority of people who identify as christians.
---
http://i.imgur.com/msYQbAw.gif
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/QwelzaarKane.png
#8SuibomPosted 7/28/2013 8:37:08 PM
zero8691 posted...

Personal responsibility?

The poor should work hard. I work hard. I help people every season at work find an entry level job, not only by hiring off the street but also through job placement/ job training services. It's a seasonal job with the option of staying on full-time if they've proven themselves reliable. You know how many have stayed on over the last 9 seasons?

Four.

Nine seasons. An average of 10 guys a season. 90ish guys and only four had the work ethic capable of sustaining employment past our season, which in garden center retail is three months. These are guys that could have been moved on to our landscape crews as sales reps, crew leaders, foremans, designers... but couldn't because showing up daily, on time, sober, dressed appropriately, and with a good attitude is something only 4 out of 90 in our area could do. We don't give anyone anything except a shot. Either prove yourself responsible and trustworthy or hit the bricks. Welcome to the real world where normal people work hard for a living, and don't approach life expecting there to be a safety net to catch them be it Daddy Warbucks or Uncle Sam. Food stamps? Even in my house's lowest time of need, we never took them. We made do. We sacrificed. We grew a garden. I have berries and tomatoes from it sitting in our kitchen, because it's still paying off all these years later.

There is not a single thing wrong with expecting capable people to work hard. And every one of those 90 people we've hired were capable. They just weren't willing. They'd rather call off for the sniffles, and guys like me have taken all of two days off in 9 seasons. One for a bad case of the flu and one for my eye after it got sliced by an electric plug. Two days in 9 years, and yet other guys, entitled guys, guys used to handouts, they're the ones who think I'm unreasonable for expecting them to work through a head cold. Suck it up, pansy. Take a 5 Hour, some DayQuil, and clock in. We depend on you. When you've crapped your drawers as many times as our business owner has over the years working through the flu, because he knows we're depending on him, you may just have found the secret to success in America.

I'll let someone else pick apart the rest of your post, TC. But this topic of "working hard" is a pet peeve of mine.

And to answer your question, my pastor is who I think of when I think of a Christian.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#9zero8691(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 8:43:18 PM
Suibom posted...
zero8691 posted...

Personal responsibility?

The poor should work hard. I work hard. I help people every season at work find an entry level job, not only by hiring off the street but also through job placement/ job training services. It's a seasonal job with the option of staying on full-time if they've proven themselves reliable. You know how many have stayed on over the last 9 seasons?

Four.

Nine seasons. An average of 10 guys a season. 90ish guys and only four had the work ethic capable of sustaining employment past our season, which in garden center retail is three months. These are guys that could have been moved on to our landscape crews as sales reps, crew leaders, foremans, designers... but couldn't because showing up daily, on time, sober, dressed appropriately, and with a good attitude is something only 4 out of 90 in our area could do. We don't give anyone anything except a shot. Either prove yourself responsible and trustworthy or hit the bricks. Welcome to the real world where normal people work hard for a living, and don't approach life expecting there to be a safety net to catch them be it Daddy Warbucks or Uncle Sam. Food stamps? Even in my house's lowest time of need, we never took them. We made do. We sacrificed. We grew a garden. I have berries and tomatoes from it sitting in our kitchen, because it's still paying off all these years later.

There is not a single thing wrong with expecting capable people to work hard. And every one of those 90 people we've hired were capable. They just weren't willing. They'd rather call off for the sniffles, and guys like me have taken all of two days off in 9 seasons. One for a bad case of the flu and one for my eye after it got sliced by an electric plug. Two days in 9 years, and yet other guys, entitled guys, guys used to handouts, they're the ones who think I'm unreasonable for expecting them to work through a head cold. Suck it up, pansy. Take a 5 Hour, some DayQuil, and clock in. We depend on you. When you've crapped your drawers as many times as our business owner has over the years working through the flu, because he knows we're depending on him, you may just have found the secret to success in America.

I'll let someone else pick apart the rest of your post, TC. But this topic of "working hard" is a pet peeve of mine.

And to answer your question, my pastor is who I think of when I think of a Christian.

because they all can prevent cancer, diabetes, asthma. Working hard wont always make you succeed, Go ask people who really DO work hard in third world countries. And nobody should have to work while having the flu ect. God, you're so inhuman. And you're post is so full of lies, Its disgusting. I'm sure you made a garden LOL. I made my own army, I don't need the government, I made my own Flu shot, I don't need anything LOL. Btw, using foodstamps isn;t a crime. And No you're not a christian. at least not one someone should look up to, But one who should say to himself, I shouldn't be like you. and use you as an example of what's wrong with Christians today!
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#10rick alveradoPosted 7/28/2013 8:46:28 PM
Most of my friends and family are Christians and good people. So I tend to think of Christians as being generally good people. Not to say that there aren't any that are bad, they just aren't the ones to first come to mind.