This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

American Christianity makes it hard for me to be a practicing christian (WoT)

#1Chicken InspectorPosted 7/29/2013 5:30:09 PM
I'm a lutheran, and I live in the midwest (iowa to be exact)

Anyways, I've been drifting between churches for a few years after my main church just got to frustrating for me to go to (personality clash with my pastor, large winded sermons full of big academic words that were hard to follow, let alone understand, and annoyances with how services were run and all that)

So I've been attending other churches, from Lutheran churches to non-denominational ones for the last year or so (the last one I was at was a congregational church) and they have all been less than positive experiences for me. They all seem to be (or drifting in this direction) of touchy feely, feel-good, campy worship and going with this personal savior shtick. Very born-again, evangelical in nature. Yah know, when people in the pews get up and start waving their hands in the hair in an overly pasionate manner, wiggling their fingers, with an occasionaly cat call such as AH-MEN)

Services had very campy, contemporary songs which were all fluff and no substance. No traditional hymns that I remember from my past experiences. No organs, no hymns by martin luther..hell...anything written pre-1980 was non existant.

I even TRIED to be a camp counselor at a church camp a few summers ago, but it was the same thing. Contemporary christian worship with lots of touching, letting out ones feelings, and people acting giddy like they were on drugs. Made me feel very uncomfortable..almost like it was a nut cult rather than a 2000+ year old religion.

It seems this form of contemporary worship is becoming the norm around here and it is making it very hard for me to relate. It's repelling me away. I see footage online, on tv, and in media of monks in Tibebt or muslims in the middle east in very deep reflective prayer, very traditional in their ways, and I admire that (though I am not talking about conversion)

I also had a pretty unmemorable religious education, so I have tried to educate myself on Lutheranism. I agree with everything I've researched thus far, though I will admit I don't know as much as I would like. Im not looking for conversion, I'm just looking for a traditional church that preaches love, Jesus, God, hope, kindness, etc...
not politics
not hate disguised as morals
no touchy feeling services that make little reference to Jesus and are as superficial as prime time MTV

hell, Talking about Jesus, even hearing the name has become so polluted in my mind as a cliche and a representation of nerdy, stereotypical "Family Values" it makes me sick and embarrassed.

Sometimes I feel lost...one who wants to open my mind up with intellengent deep thoughts and discussions amongst a crowd of people who just want to hold me and have YAY JESUS YOUR MINE be the deepest thought they have.

my thoughts are everywhere right now, and it's hard to just get them all in a coherrant, orderly fashion

Hope yall can help, or give me some words of advice...or just post :P

TL;DR
my feelings are thus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdZbfUWUGJY
---
Deus Ex: When you mention it, someone is going to reinstall it.
#2C_MatPosted 7/29/2013 5:56:01 PM
I would just keep trying different churches, just remember that no church is gonna be perfect. I'd invite you to mine because I feel like it'd fit your desires pretty well, but I live in southern Missouri. I appreciate your thoughts, though, since I feel the same way about a lot of churches.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#3OrangeWizardPosted 7/29/2013 6:03:52 PM
Become a Jehovah's Witness.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#4Chicken Inspector(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2013 6:13:41 PM
C_Mat posted...
I would just keep trying different churches, just remember that no church is gonna be perfect. I'd invite you to mine because I feel like it'd fit your desires pretty well, but I live in southern Missouri. I appreciate your thoughts, though, since I feel the same way about a lot of churches.

the thing is too that I have been invited by people who I thought were nice, normal people, and then I go to these churches and im surrounded by (to what seems to be as) closeted, straight edge geeky weirdos. Maybe Im a bit too judgemental at times, but more often than not the services match the stereotype of the people I see
---
#5Chicken Inspector(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2013 6:15:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6OrangeWizardPosted 7/29/2013 6:16:10 PM
Well then, enjoy feeling spiritually lost and frustrated.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#7Hustle KongPosted 7/29/2013 6:27:10 PM
Chicken Inspector posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
Become a Jehovah's Witness.

har har har...no

Kind of a dick thing to say to a JW. He was trying to be helpful.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#8SuibomPosted 7/29/2013 6:27:57 PM
TC, have you looked at the Orthodox church yet? You could send Chaos Scade a message and ask about it. Seems like it would be a good fit.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#9Chicken Inspector(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2013 6:38:02 PM
Suibom posted...
TC, have you looked at the Orthodox church yet? You could send Chaos Scade a message and ask about it. Seems like it would be a good fit.

I have thought of looking into it...though the fact that I'm in midwest norwegian-lutheran teritoy might make it a bit hard for me to do that, but Im open to looking into it, if nothing else to at least know more about it

and im sorry about my jehovas witness quip...I guess I was under the assumption that that was a troll. If not im extremely sorry...meant no disrespect
..unless you were just trolling under the guise of a JH
---
#10IndoriPosted 7/29/2013 6:38:37 PM
Suibom posted...

Or the Catholic Church. </self plug>
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.