This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Attention Atheists, christians

#11MasterSplinterWPosted 7/30/2013 12:43:45 AM
zero8691 posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
Define 'brain washing.'

Telling children if they don't act a certain way, God will send em to hell, force them to accept jesus or be kicked out of the house, No playing video games, TV, "Dancing in the flesh" w/e that is, No music, Just reading the Bible :).

I grew up in a pretty religious household, and it's funny the list you came up with there. Because we read the bible and two of the really big "NO-NOs" that I remember was I couldn't watch tv shows like Roseanne, and I couldn't listen to music that cursed. But, I'd seen Bloodsport and Predator like a thousand times each by the time I was a teenager. I think "religious upbringing" can really make you into a good person. However, a reality in this wolrd that will continue, is there are many many bad parents, and the religious teachings will constantly be misguided and misconstrued to no end, transforming our youth into intolerant *** *****.
---
On the 261, just remember that you aren't allowed to make a single assertion, assumption, or declaration without stats, studies, and followup to said studies.
#12zero8691(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 12:53:53 AM
MasterSplinterW posted...
zero8691 posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
Define 'brain washing.'

Telling children if they don't act a certain way, God will send em to hell, force them to accept jesus or be kicked out of the house, No playing video games, TV, "Dancing in the flesh" w/e that is, No music, Just reading the Bible :).

I grew up in a pretty religious household, and it's funny the list you came up with there. Because we read the bible and two of the really big "NO-NOs" that I remember was I couldn't watch tv shows like Roseanne, and I couldn't listen to music that cursed. But, I'd seen Bloodsport and Predator like a thousand times each by the time I was a teenager. I think "religious upbringing" can really make you into a good person. However, a reality in this wolrd that will continue, is there are many many bad parents, and the religious teachings will constantly be misguided and misconstrued to no end, transforming our youth into intolerant *** *****.

So, Do you agree with your parents that shows like "Rosanne is "evil" and will send you to hell? How about law and order?
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#13MasterSplinterWPosted 7/30/2013 1:02:10 AM
I don't agree with my parents about anything, except that it's okay to eat unhealthy once in a while. I'd say that is about it.
---
On the 261, just remember that you aren't allowed to make a single assertion, assumption, or declaration without stats, studies, and followup to said studies.
#14zero8691(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 1:04:11 AM
I don't agree with my parents about anything, except that it's okay to eat unhealthy once in a while. I'd say that is about it.

That's good and remember! Not all Christians think TV will send you to hell or some song/video games! :D
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#15SirThinkALotPosted 7/30/2013 1:06:31 AM
zero8691 posted...
zero8691 posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
Define 'brain washing.'

So, Do you agree with your parents that shows like "Rosanne is "evil" and will send you to hell? How about law and order?

I'm pretty sure watching Rosanne IS the definition of hell...
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#16EastsideslingerPosted 8/2/2013 9:39:59 AM
"Religion" or any moral philosophy should not be enforced as standard. To me personally it's all kind of useless if they can't genuinely accept whatever faith they participate in so you should teach them about it but ultimately the choices they make in their spiritual life is entirely their own within degrees of course, since 'faiths' like Scientology are not even thinly veiled money making schemes. At least the Catholic and Morman churches give you the benefit of the dog and pony show. I kid, i kid
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#17PhoenixWroggiPosted 8/2/2013 1:47:45 PM
Is not discussing religion with your children the same as raising them as atheistic? My parents have never discussed religion with me. They never said it's a load of crap. They just never talked about it. Was I brainwashed into atheism?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Wij1g3H.jpg
April 2nd 1999 - July 27th 2013. Will love you forever, Luzy. :(
#18hunter_gohanPosted 8/2/2013 4:10:57 PM
PhoenixWroggi posted...
Is not discussing religion with your children the same as raising them as atheistic? My parents have never discussed religion with me. They never said it's a load of crap. They just never talked about it. Was I brainwashed into atheism?

No. If they did they would've been drilling into your head that gods don't exist and that any theistic religion is false. Secularism != Atheism.

I do think either of those is wrong and you should let the child have whatever information about the subjects he wants and let him make his own decision when he's old enough.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.