This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will there be any more "major" prophets in Christianity?

#1bsballa09Posted 8/4/2013 1:02:27 PM(edited)
Or are the time of more prophets over? If so, why? Is it because there just hasn't been any for a long time so it's safe to assume there won't be any more, or is there something in the New Testament that says that after a certain point, there won't be any more?
---
:: Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz :: EVGA GTX 760 2GB :: ASUS P8Z77-V LK :: Corsair CX600 :: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB :: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM :: ASUS 22'' LED ::
#2Moorish_IdolPosted 8/4/2013 1:48:15 PM(edited)
The reason Christians no longer have or need prophets is found in Hebrews 1:1-2:
"Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds."

In other words, before the Holy Spirit was active, the world needed prophets. But after Jesus, the Holy Spirit became active, and God now speaks to man through it instead of through prophets.

Also there's another verse in one of the Gospels that implies John was the last prophet.

Edit:
Found it, Luke 16:16
"The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it."
#3bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 2:13:36 PM(edited)
Moorish_Idol posted...
The reason Christians no longer have or need prophets is found in Hebrews 1:1-2:
"Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds."

In other words, before the Holy Spirit was active, the world needed prophets. But after Jesus, the Holy Spirit became active, and God now speaks to man through it instead of through prophets.

Also there's another verse in one of the Gospels that implies John was the last prophet.

Edit:
Found it, Luke 16:16
"The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it."

What about people such as Barsabbas?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Barsabbas

Acts 15:32 further describes Judas and Silas as prophets, and says that they "said much to encourage and strengthen the believers."
---
:: Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz :: EVGA GTX 760 2GB :: ASUS P8Z77-V LK :: Corsair CX600 :: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB :: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM :: ASUS 22'' LED ::
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 8/4/2013 3:16:09 PM
I dunno. But considering Barsabbas is never mentioned again, it's hard to say how much of a prophet he really was. Sounds like he was more of just a church leader.
#5actarusPosted 8/5/2013 3:56:22 AM(edited)
The prophets are part of the Church of God.
1Co 12:28
And God has set some in the Church, first apostles,
secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, next miracles,
then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of languages.

Alas, there is no Church Government for the moment that follow the Biblical structure.

We are waiting for the "new John the Baptist" who is the "new Elijah". He shall unite the Saints and restore the Church of God.

And for around the time of the Great Tribulation are there two Witnesses from two different Churches( They are the two lampstands in Rev 11:2-10
a Lampstand Rev 1:20 is a Church ).
Only 2 of the 7 Churches is faithful and a little part of Sardis
The faithful Jewish Church(Smyrna; the Church of Polycarp ) and the Church of God(Philadelphia).

They shall warn the people that God hasn't change His Commandments and that the people who persecute the Saints(who are faithful to ALL the Commandments) or accept the Mark of the Beast shall be punished.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#6SirThinkALotPosted 8/5/2013 11:27:10 PM
What would be the point of God sending more prophets when he's already come down himself?
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#7Vado_UNPosted 8/6/2013 1:01:26 PM
Jesus Christ is the alpha and omega, the beginning and end. As far as rap goes, it's only natural I explain my plateau, and also, what defines my name.
---
"Heads start boppin' like who's this? Vado, that dude spits/
Sharper than steak knives from Ruth's Chris" - Vado
#8Julian_CaesarPosted 8/6/2013 2:49:39 PM
Depends on what you mean by calling someone a prophet, although using the "major" qualifier goes a long way. In that context, I feel pretty sure the answer is no.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#9SuibomPosted 8/6/2013 3:03:28 PM
I'd say the two witnesses of Revelation 11 fit the bill pretty close.

"If anyone wants to hurt them, fire comes out of their mouth and burns up their enemies. So if anyone wants to hurt them, they have to be killed in this way. They have the power to close up the sky so that no rain will fall for as long as they prophesy. They also have power over the waters, to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with any plague, as often as they wish." (Revelation 11:5, 6 CEB)

---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#10Julian_CaesarPosted 8/6/2013 3:11:22 PM
Suibom posted...
I'd say the two witnesses of Revelation 11 fit the bill pretty close.

"If anyone wants to hurt them, fire comes out of their mouth and burns up their enemies. So if anyone wants to hurt them, they have to be killed in this way. They have the power to close up the sky so that no rain will fall for as long as they prophesy. They also have power over the waters, to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with any plague, as often as they wish." (Revelation 11:5, 6 CEB)

I was thinking about them, but rejected them on the grounds that there won't be very much "future" left to prophesy about...since, you know, it's the end of the world and all...
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.