This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Attention Christians!

#31OrangeWizardPosted 8/5/2013 7:26:05 PM
the Premise is ridiculous by default.

Appeal to ridicule.

Realty disagrees with you Lol.

Common sense fallacy.

"Magic" in the sense of Harry Potter isn't a real thing, and not something God despises

I said as much in that big post about the fluffy demon. You read that post, right? Telling me something I already know isn't going to have a great effect.

And I never said that "harry potter was a small step away from God". You shouldn't get a summary of my arguments from my detractors. They tend to misrepresent me in the form of a strawman.

I said looking into the occult is a step away from God.

So really, it looks like we agree.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#32TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/5/2013 7:39:07 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
"Magic" in the sense of Harry Potter isn't a real thing, and not something God despises

I said as much in that big post about the fluffy demon. You read that post, right? Telling me something I already know isn't going to have a great effect.

And I never said that "harry potter was a small step away from God". You shouldn't get a summary of my arguments from my detractors. They tend to misrepresent me in the form of a strawman.

I said looking into the occult is a step away from God.

So really, it looks like we agree.

Except that, unless you also reject anything that leads to idolatry more often than Harry Potter leads to the occult (like movies), you have a double standard.

Also, how would you feel about this statement - I, an adult Christian who is strong in his faith, have no chance of being turned to the occult by Harry Potter. Therefore, HP is not something I necessarily should avoid (ignoring the issue of creating demand for such material - it wont be spiritually harmful for me)
---
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8
#33OrangeWizardPosted 8/5/2013 7:50:21 PM
My argument isn't "Since X may lead to Y, X is bad".

It's "X subtly and subconsciously makes you associate it with Y, which could lead to you having a more relaxed view of Y"

I, an adult Christian who is strong in his faith, have no chance of being turned to the occult by Harry Potter.

I would say that nobody should think themselves immune to any possible danger. Pride goes before a fall, and so on.
---
#34Dathrowed1Posted 8/5/2013 7:57:00 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
My argument isn't "Since X may lead to Y, X is bad".

It's "X subtly and subconsciously makes you associate it with Y, which could lead to you having a more relaxed view of Y"

I, an adult Christian who is strong in his faith, have no chance of being turned to the occult by Harry Potter.

I would say that nobody should think themselves immune to any possible danger. Pride goes before a fall, and so on.

Right, Cephas said he would never deny Jesus either.
---
sig
#35master_gamr1231Posted 8/5/2013 8:16:44 PM
Hold on, I've gotta ask, why exactly would someone looking into the occult be a terrible thing? It's perfectly healthy and enlightening to explore all the various belief systems. I can't claim more than a middling knowledge of the occult, but they don't advocate evil. (Hell, I don't think there's any belief system that openly preaches evil) If Christianity or whatever particular belief you have is the correct one, it should stand up to scrutiny by its adherents. To claim that it's a terrible thing to even glance at the beliefs of other religions is, well, advocating indoctrination. Sorry, but it is. No infant is born a Christian, because infants have no religious beliefs. From that blank slate, all any person has at their disposal to develop religious beliefs is exploration of the different systems or, barring that, word of mouth by others (parents, for instance) as to which religion is correct. Teaching a child that your religion is correct and you shouldn't look at any others because your religion says not to? Yeah, that's indoctrination. It favors blind obedience and is a horrendous way to spread religious beliefs. Religious questioning and exploration should be encouraged by any true adherent. If you're correct, it can only make your platform more appealing.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#36OrangeWizardPosted 8/5/2013 8:24:53 PM
why exactly would someone looking into the occult be a terrible thing?

By "looking into" I do not mean "consuming information with objective view on the subject".

I mean taking an interest in it. Trying it out. Testing it.

but they don't advocate evil.

They don't have to. All that matters is that the bible says to stay away from it.
---
#37master_gamr1231Posted 8/5/2013 8:38:07 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
but they don't advocate evil.

They don't have to. All that matters is that the bible says to stay away from it.

If you read the rest of my post, you'd see why I say that's terrible reasoning. I mean, it's circular.

"I believe in my religion and reject all others because my religion says so. I follow what my religion says because I believe in my religion."

Can you come up with one reason to avoid dabbling in the practices of other beliefs that doesn't involve your own preconceived notions?
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#38OrangeWizardPosted 8/5/2013 8:55:34 PM
If you read the rest of my post, you'd see why I say that's terrible reasoning. I mean, it's circular.

I read the rest of your post. It talked about indoctrination.

But the rest of your post was based upon the misunderstanding that you thought I meant when I said "looking into".

"I believe in my religion and reject all others because my religion says so. I follow what my religion says because I believe in my religion."

It's really just "I believe in my religion. My religion tells me not to do X, therefore, I don't do X."

Can you come up with one reason to avoid dabbling in the practices of other beliefs that doesn't involve your own preconceived notions?

Does what the bible says count as a "preconceived notion"?

In this topic, we're investigating the issue from the bible's point of view. We're merely pretending that what the bible says is true and considering whether or not this animation and the underlying message syncs up with what the bible says.

If you're coming from some other perspective, then that's outside the scope of this discussion.
---
#39SirThinkALotPosted 8/5/2013 11:28:18 PM
zero8691 posted...
WelshGamer82 posted...
Would you mind summarising it, please?

Sure, basically a Toy is called "magic wizard guy with a sword" And in the cartoon the mom acts like "MAGIC!??!?! GOD HATES MAGic, Toy is evil and will cause you to worship da devil!"

Yeah....no. Not so much.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305