This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the reasoning Christians have for homosexuality being a sin?

#1bsballa09Posted 8/9/2013 3:08:07 PM
If your only answer is because God said so and we can't understand Gods reasoning, don't post and waste our time. I want to know what you and theologians actually think is the reason for it being a sin.
---
:: Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz :: EVGA GTX 760 2GB :: ASUS P8Z77-V LK :: Corsair CX600 :: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB :: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM :: ASUS 22'' LED ::
#2Lord_IchmaelPosted 8/9/2013 3:23:28 PM
It all comes down to icky = wrong.
#3rockman202Posted 8/9/2013 3:27:49 PM
Playing devil's advocate here (or would that be called god's advocate? Or maybe Christian's advocate?) but I would think because they couldn't procreate when the bible was written. Nowadays though we have artificial insemination and such which could allow them to procreate.

Though that still doesn't explain why it is okay for infertile couples to marry...
#4IndoriPosted 8/9/2013 8:14:09 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Woman-He-Created-Them/dp/0819874213/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_2
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 8/9/2013 8:26:49 PM
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Leviticus 18:22
Romans 1: 18-28

Homosexuality was clearly not designed by God. Homosexuality is a sin chosen by man. It blows my mind how there is no atheist that argues about adultery being a sin, or fornication being a sin, but every atheist i have seen is all up in arms over homosexuality being a sin. As if homosexuals are suppose to have some special class apart from fornicators or adulterers (all 3 being equal sexual sin, though only 1 makes headlines in the media).

God does not want us having homosexual relations in the same exact way he does not want us having sexual relations with animals, with other peoples spouses, or with others period while not married. Its very plain and simple in Gods word. Sexual sin will ALWAYS keep us from getting into heaven- Ephesians 5:3-15

Whether you accept Gods word is up to you. But if you ask christians to answer a question, dont get mad when we quote Gods Word as our reasoning. God gave us a guide book for life. His word.

I honestly dont know how to break it down more simpler than that.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#6bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2013 8:39:56 PM
Homosexuality was clearly not designed by God.

The butt and penis were clearly designed by God.
---
:: Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz :: EVGA GTX 760 2GB :: ASUS P8Z77-V LK :: Corsair CX600 :: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB :: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM :: ASUS 22'' LED ::
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 8/9/2013 8:41:51 PM
bsballa09 posted...
Homosexuality was clearly not designed by God.

The butt and penis were clearly designed by God.

What was the penis designed to be thrusted into?

What was the vagina designed for, sexually speaking?

The answer to both of those questions just destroyed your whole argument.
---
Proverbs 14:12
#8rockman202Posted 8/9/2013 9:11:03 PM(edited)
Actually nevermind, not even going to bother responding to someone who has no legitimate argument.
#9Julian_CaesarPosted 8/9/2013 9:07:15 PM
bsballa09 posted...
If your only answer is because God said so and we can't understand Gods reasoning, don't post and waste our time. I want to know what you and theologians actually think is the reason for it being a sin.

You do realize that if we believe in God as the entity that the Bible claims He is, then "because God said so and we can't understand His reasoning" is the objectively best possible response to your question?

That said, man and woman were meant to represent Christ and the church, sex was meant to represent salvation, thus giving birth represents the creation or "procreation" of a new being from the joining of ourselves to Christ.

The Bible does not forbid men from having intimate relationships with each other (Jonathan and David, hello??). It forbids men from having sexual relationships with each other, because that is a perversion of the natural duty of sexuality (as a representation of salvation). If we in our modern culture don't see any way to have an intimate relationship without having sexual activity, that is our problem. Not God's.

Note--it's also our problem if we can't talk about salvation in terms of sexual imagery without feeling grossed out or uncomfortable. We have allowed cultural sexuality to tarnish our view of salvation, rather than encouraging biblical salvation to brighten our view of sexuality.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#10CoyoteTheGreatPosted 8/9/2013 9:12:51 PM
There are two reasons I can see.

1. Homosexuality is an easy way to identify an "other" to attack that can't possibly defend itself. Its the same reason why Christianity hasn't been particularly friendly to Jewish people either in its history. Doing this sort of thing is a good way to focus people against something and build up a stronger identity to improve group cohesion, something Christianity has arguably needed being one of the most splintered religions in the world, with all its denominations and whatnot.

2. Policies against homosexuality promote the sort of unchecked growth that an evangelical religion like Christianity needs to remain successful. Its the same reason why oftentimes Christians are against birth control and abortion (And one can point to some oddities in the bible that, like with homosexuality, show these doctrines as being later additions rather than particularly biblical). The idea is that if homosexuals can be shamed into taking wives and popping out children like everyone else, its all the better for the strength of the religion. Every baby squeezed out counts.

The thing is, actually you know, reading the bible with comprehension doesn't point to homosexuality being wrong or a sin at all. But non-theological reasons have a huge effect on how the bible is interpreted. The religion has been around too long and positions have become too entrenched though for any honest theological discussion to happen in the more mainstream forms of Christianity though.
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.