This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One nation "under God"?

#1epictetus1216Posted 9/5/2013 7:30:42 AM
In a poll being conducted by nbcnews.com, 91% of respondents say the phrase "under God" should be stricken from the Pledge of Allegiance. There's currently a case to have it removed by a family in Boston who sees it as a violaton of students' rights. The poll is embedded to the left of the article. Leave your vote if you'd like. It's over 1050 strong so far.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/04/20327848-pledge-of-allegiance-challenged-in-massachusetts-supreme-court?lite
#2IndoriPosted 9/5/2013 7:54:13 AM
Gotta admit, America doesn't act like it's under God. It would probably be more accurate without that phrase.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#3JonWood007Posted 9/5/2013 8:52:04 AM
An NBC poll may not be representative of the whole country.

Either way, it shouldn't be there because first amendment and all.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#4Blue_Dream87Posted 9/5/2013 8:55:19 AM
Eh, it really never bothered me when we had to recite it in class. And it's not really an issue with me. Though I don't believe it should be there, seeing as how the Cold War has been over for over 20 years
---
http://i.imgur.com/daXMtgq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O0z1YeH.gif
#5kozlo100Posted 9/5/2013 9:46:08 AM
Always an interesting issue.

It's all about where you put the comma. 'one Nation, under God indivisible' versus 'one Nation under God, indivisible'. In the former, you've got it saying that nothing short of an all-powerful deity can divide us. Obviously untrue, but kind of constitutionally ok, as it doesn't require the God to exist to work.

The latter fairly well places God in a position of leadership over our nation. That's pretty clearly a violation of the establishment clause. Not really any other sensible way to look at it.

All the legal cases seem to center around students having to say the pledge, which I guess is how you get standing to make a case in the first place, but that never ends up getting at the Flag Code itself, just school policy.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#6hunter_gohanPosted 9/5/2013 11:57:17 AM
Wow 3.3 million votes and they're at 97% yes now. Does that seem unusually high to anyone else?
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#7Moorish_IdolPosted 9/5/2013 12:56:13 PM
hunter_gohan posted...
Wow 3.3 million votes and they're at 97% yes now. Does that seem unusually high to anyone else?

Yeah, it does to me.

I don't want to accuse anyone of vote stuffing, but it kinda seems that way.
#8epictetus1216(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 4:50:59 PM
hunter_gohan posted...

It seems uncharacteristic of America where anywhere from 80% to 90%, depending on which poll you look at, believes in God.
#9kozlo100Posted 9/5/2013 5:07:27 PM
Well, self-selecting polls are always somewhat dubious, doubly so when they're on the internet and about religion. And like the man said, there's every chance it's being stuffed. I'd be interested to see what the response rate is on other polls from the site.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#10Stanger5150Posted 9/7/2013 6:19:23 PM
It shouldn't be there. It was added during the fear mongering campaign of the Red Scare and it needs to be omitted. Next, the currency needs to be changed back to its original motto as well.

Many argue "but it doesn't specifically promote one religion!" which is technically true, but it does exclude religions that are not monotheistic. That's enough to make it unconstitutional. The promotion of any religious deity on our currency, no matter how vague, is unconstitutional. If only one tax paying citizen is excluded in a motto on our currency, it's unfair.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing- TMNT 2: Battle Nexus (PS2), PS All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3), Willow (NES)