This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should everything Jesus said be taken literally?

#21Julian_CaesarPosted 9/7/2013 8:00:22 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
Paul was about as credible as Joseph Smith

If you find fault with Paul then what exactly is considered "credible" in the NT? Paul was by far the most educated of the early "church fathers," not to mention he was the most zealous about Jesus having fulfilled the old law in our place. You say he "brought Leviticus back" as if he was abusing OT law for the purpose of making moral judgments against non-believers and sinners; yet even a cursory examination of Paul's actions indicate that he was by far the most opposed to such things. He straight-up rebuked Peter, the most well-known of Jesus' disciples, on this very type of issue (circumcision and whether it was required to become a Christian).

You may disagree with what he said about certain things, but that's hardly grounds for calling him a "con man," especially if you're doing so from the mindset that Paul was in favor of using the old law in place of Jesus' new law.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#22Stanger5150Posted 9/8/2013 5:49:35 PM(edited)
Julian_Caesar posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
Paul was about as credible as Joseph Smith

If you find fault with Paul then what exactly is considered "credible" in the NT? Paul was by far the most educated of the early "church fathers," not to mention he was the most zealous about Jesus having fulfilled the old law in our place. You say he "brought Leviticus back" as if he was abusing OT law for the purpose of making moral judgments against non-believers and sinners; yet even a cursory examination of Paul's actions indicate that he was by far the most opposed to such things. He straight-up rebuked Peter, the most well-known of Jesus' disciples, on this very type of issue (circumcision and whether it was required to become a Christian).

You may disagree with what he said about certain things, but that's hardly grounds for calling him a "con man," especially if you're doing so from the mindset that Paul was in favor of using the old law in place of Jesus' new law.

Exactly. He was educated and zealous... those are important qualities in a con man.

An no, he didn't try to replace the new law with the old... he just used enough of the old law to add a little fear to the followers of the early church. The words of Jesus weren't scary enough I guess. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Jesus spoke through Paul any more than he does Pat Robertson or Joel Osteen.

Paul's teachings ensured that the word of Christ was infused with a splash of guilt tripping to go along with it. He was the Pat Robertson of his time.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing- TMNT 2: Battle Nexus (PS2), PS All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3), Willow (NES)
#23CS_Goodman_Posted 9/8/2013 7:53:01 PM
Paul's teachings ensured that the word of Christ was infused with a splash of guilt tripping to go along with it. He was the Pat Robertson of his time.

You should read Paul sometime. He has no idea what a guilt trip is.
---
You drove by as I was sleeping - you came to see the whole commotion. And when I woke I started laughing: the joke's on me for not believing.
#24bsballa09Posted 9/8/2013 8:09:20 PM(edited)
Nitro378 posted...
Hustle Kong posted...
freakzilla316ft posted...
God destroyed a whole city because everyone was gay in it. All 3 major religions are against it. If people want to accept it then they can but don't try and say that god accepts it.
ALL THREE MAJOR RELIGIONS?!

Man. I didn't realize we were down to just three.

Lol at calling Judaism the 'major religion' over Hinduism etc, it's got like less than 1% of the population followers iirc

Something being "major" doesn't always mean size, but can also mean influence and impact.
---
:: Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz :: EVGA GTX 760 2GB :: ASUS P8Z77-V LK :: Corsair CX600 :: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB :: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM :: ASUS 22'' LED ::
#25Stanger5150Posted 9/8/2013 9:31:31 PM
CS_Goodman_ posted...

You should read Paul sometime. He has no idea what a guilt trip is.

I've read the entire Bible multiple times, as well as the Qur'an and Book of Mormon. I've been studying it for 20 years.

The best con men are good at not looking like con men.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing- TMNT 2: Battle Nexus (PS2), PS All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3), Willow (NES)
#26CS_Goodman_Posted 9/8/2013 10:18:41 PM
I've been studying it for 20 years.

Are you sure you've had 20 years experience, or has it really only been 1 year of experience, 20 times?
---
You drove by as I was sleeping - you came to see the whole commotion. And when I woke I started laughing: the joke's on me for not believing.
#27Stanger5150Posted 9/8/2013 10:28:09 PM
CS_Goodman_ posted...
I've been studying it for 20 years.

Are you sure you've had 20 years experience, or has it really only been 1 year of experience, 20 times?

It's been 20 years. I've also done extensive research on the Bible's origin, and the origins of many of its stories. I was a Christian the first two times I read it, and it led me to search for sources and history outside the Bible and that started my path toward atheism. I go into nothing blindly, except for being a Christian. I wasn't given a choice in that matter.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#28Chaos ScadePosted 9/9/2013 11:22:07 PM
Izzy_Reborn_ posted...
I mention it mainly because of this excellent video where Kevin Rudd, Australian PM, was questioned on why he thought Marriage Equality is ok.

http://www.upworthy.com/a-pastor-asks-a-politician-why-he-supports-gay-marriage-it-seems-he-wasnt-prepared-for-his-reply

kevin rudd's reasoning was actually pretty terrible

im not sold on whether the pastor was worse or whether he wasn't really concerned with winning an argument as much as he was knocking the final nail into Rudd's hanging on to the conservative Christian vote