This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Favorite/amusing religious stories?

#1JESSE_PlNKMANPosted 9/6/2013 7:13:12 AM
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Judges+3%3A12-30&version=NIV

I've always found this one interesting because of how in-depth it is. The detail about the fat closing around the sword is kinda funny too.

Jonah in the whale is another one I enjoy.
#2Faust_8Posted 9/6/2013 8:16:54 AM
1) You don't know what funny is.

2) I find it more interesting that he used his left hand to grab the sword he strapped to his RIGHT thing.

3) Stop making terrible topics, NEET.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 9/6/2013 8:28:00 AM
Faust_8 posted...

2) I find it more interesting that he used his left hand to grab the sword he strapped to his RIGHT thing.

How is that interesting, besides him being left-handed?

A lot of swords are drawn across the body, with the opposite hand reaching to the opposite thigh. Ex: Katana
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#4Faust_8Posted 9/6/2013 8:30:25 AM
Yes, but that's more suited to an initial slashing motion. It slows down a stabbing motion, which is what he did. (Katanas are mainly slashing weapons.)

If it was on his left thigh, he could have stabbed twice as fast. Since it was on his right, he had to bring it to his left side first and then thrust forward, instead of just grabbing it from the left and stabbing immediately.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#5OrangeWizardPosted 9/6/2013 8:47:26 AM(edited)
Well, consider, too, the dress at that time period.

The sword was hidden under his clothes, so he couldn't just go grab it. He had to navigate his garments first.

A reasonable parallel would be a modern, buttoned up suit. It's much easier to take your left hand to reach into the right breast pocket on the inside of your suit jacket, right?

It's like that, only the breast pocket is at your hip. The buttons and folds are placed in such a way that it's easier for you to reach your opposite hand in and go across your body, than it is to take your same-side hand, reach over to the middle, navigate the folds , and then go back to the right.

I imagine the same thing took place here.

Drawing your sword out from under your clothes is not ideal. There's bound to be some trade-off between making something hidden and making something easily accessible.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#6kozlo100Posted 9/6/2013 9:25:48 AM
So we're looking at a double-edged short sword, and you do see those used in cross-body draws fairly commonly. Draw and stab is always going to be a two motion attack anyway, so the cross body draw doesn't particularly hurt you, particularly not in a surprise attack against an unarmed opponent. You've got the time.

Also, google tells me that the custom of the time was for soldiers, mostly right handed, to wear their weapons on the left hip, possibly meaning that palace security would pay more attention to that side than the right, helping our lefty sneak his weapon in.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#7Wandering__HeroPosted 9/6/2013 9:43:41 AM
Their was this guy called Neet who saw a few fundamentalists on tv so thought he could easily troll them on the internet. He went to gamefaqs religion board believing he'd be able to troll, out manevur and out argue them with them noticing, but the reverse happened and he got banned, only managing to make himself look like an idiot. Then Neet made a bunch of other accounts immediately after and thought no one would notice. Its amazing how stupid some people are, huh?
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#8JESSE_PlNKMAN(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 9:44:28 AM
So this guy must've been a seriously competent hitman. God sure does know how to pick 'em huh.
#9JESSE_PlNKMAN(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 9:45:26 AM
Wandering__Hero posted...
Their was this guy called Neet who saw a few fundamentalists on tv so thought he could easily troll them on the internet. He went to gamefaqs religion board believing he'd be able to troll, out manevur and out argue them with them noticing, but the reverse happened and he got banned, only managing to make himself look like an idiot. Then Neet made a bunch of other accounts immediately after and thought no one would notice. Its amazing how stupid some people are, huh?

Stop posting this garbage. I am not "the Neet" nor am I a Neet at all.
#10kts123Posted 9/6/2013 9:48:45 AM
I think it's funny how Abraham pulled the "she's my sister" line with a king, twice. Then later on, Abraham's son Isaac pulls the same shenanigans, and the king is like "Oh HELL NAW, I remember this."