This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people take agnosticism to be a middle ground between atheism and theism?

#1KainReaver109Posted 9/15/2013 12:23:33 PM
Do you think most people take agnosticism to be a middle ground between atheism and theism? How many people understand the distinction between addressing knowledge, and addressing belief? But moreover, do those who care to use the words even really care to make the distinctions?
#2JonWood007Posted 9/15/2013 1:00:01 PM
Agnosticism is how certain you are when it comes to knowledge, while theism/atheism is the claim. I'd say agnostic atheism is the default position because 1) you don't have to prove anything, you don't know for sure, and 2) because if the default position was theism, whose theism? if you treat beliefs in God like claims then atheism is the absence of claims, since, once again, you don't have to believe anything.

So basically agnostic atheism is saying you don't believe anything, but you also don't know.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#3FingerpuppetPosted 9/15/2013 8:53:56 PM
If someone merely claims to be agnostic, then I can't have a discussion with them whatsoever. After all, how can you talk to somebody who claims to know nothing or claims to be uncertain of everything?
---
http://i.imgur.com/kubEx.jpg
^^If you do not have an open mind, then I have nothing to discuss with you.
#4Hustle KongPosted 9/15/2013 8:57:02 PM
When people identify as agnostic, I usually have to ask more questions before I understand what they mean by it.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5hunter_gohanPosted 9/16/2013 12:09:53 AM
When it comes to theism and atheism there really is no middle ground. It's an actual dichotomy. You either believe, or you do not believe. Where's the middle ground in that?
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#6LinkFanaticPosted 9/16/2013 12:20:13 AM
Fingerpuppet posted...
After all, how can you talk to somebody who claims to know nothing or claims to be uncertain of everything?

Seems easy enough to me.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#7Nitro378Posted 9/16/2013 3:20:33 AM
Fingerpuppet posted...
After all, how can you talk to somebody who claims to know nothing or claims to be uncertain of everything?

Well, since that's the logical position...
(agnostic atheists for top tier)
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me
#8FingerpuppetPosted 9/16/2013 8:35:57 AM
Nitro378 posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...

Can you elaborate?
---
http://i.imgur.com/kubEx.jpg
^^If you do not have an open mind, then I have nothing to discuss with you.
#9ForsakenHermitPosted 9/16/2013 1:49:00 PM
If someone tells me that they are 50/50 on existence of a god and self-identify as agnostic I leave it at that. I think its dishonest to try to pigeonhole someone who claims they don't believe or disbelieve.
---
"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is barbarity." -Robespierre
#10Nitro378Posted 9/16/2013 2:53:45 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...
Nitro378 posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...

Can you elaborate?

It's irrational to believe in god but it's also irrational to say you know absolutely there is no god. There's very little in life you should take 100% for certain. Agnostic atheism (no evidence or reason to believe in god so I don't, though I can't tell you for sure there is no god) is the thinking wo/man's position.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me