This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Youtube Atheists

#1theging3rPosted 9/15/2013 3:16:51 PM
I am relatively new to the religious board and I hope that I don't sound like I am trolling so here goes. I frequently get on youtube to watch random videos and sometimes I come across videos discussing or debating religion. Now I know for sure that theists are not innocent too, but my primary question of this topic is, why do internet Atheists troll people and make people feel bad for believing in a religion? Like I said before, theists aren't so innocent also but like I said, this is my primary question to this topic. If anybody feels like I am trolling, I am not, I mean no harm. I just think it's silly that both sides have to make each other feel bad for believing differently.
---
"The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways."
~Atisha~
#2Nitro378Posted 9/15/2013 3:22:06 PM
A lot of the big names in online atheism (eg. Dillahunty, Seth something, Dusty Smith) are ex-theists, usually from pretty radical sects, so you can kind of understand their frustration. Most of them have pretty sad stories to tell.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me
#3Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/15/2013 3:29:37 PM
A lot of atheists are so uncomfortable with their on situation/position in life, atleast spiritually speaking, that they have to attack other people to feel better in life. Its a lot like the playground bully complex.

"Your are so stupid for believing in God. Who does that? Only idiots believe in God. lol haha"

Me: -_-

It used to really get at me. Now i just laugh and move on because it builds me stronger. The Lord says rejoice when we are attacked for our faith and belief.

2 Corinthians 12:10
Matthew 5:10-12
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#4theging3r(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 3:37:59 PM
Thanks for both answers! I know both aren't like that in real life, but I guess thanks to the internet making people anonymous, people can post whatever they like (legally) without any consequence, and sometimes people are dumb enough to post illegal stuff.
---
~Atisha~
#5theging3r(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 3:39:39 PM
Nitro378 posted...
A lot of the big names in online atheism (eg. Dillahunty, Seth something, Dusty Smith) are ex-theists, usually from pretty radical sects, so you can kind of understand their frustration. Most of them have pretty sad stories to tell.

Yes I believe you are correct, I sometimes forget to understand their perspective, but yes this is true.
---
~Atisha~
#6JonWood007Posted 9/15/2013 3:54:05 PM
Could you list some specific vids/channels? Many of the ones I came across are a little trollish, yes, but they're more informative than anything. The thing is religion normally enjoys the privilege of being something you don't criticize or you need to tread likely when you criticize it, so it comes as a shock to believers when you have someone aggressively disassembling their worldview.

And quite frankly, atheists have to put up with a lot, but because christianity is the privileges minority, its criticisms of atheism normally go under the radar in relative terms, since it's more commonplace. That being said, a lot of the aggression is to counter christian attacks on atheism.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/15/2013 4:02:20 PM
Thats interesting, jonwood, because of all the christian videos i have seen on youtube (several hundred), i have never heard one that went attacking atheists or their (lack of) beliefs.

Most christian videos are too busy talking about actual christianity and the tenets of the faith and people seeing real visions and miracles being performed. Its happenening all over. Especially in muslim countries.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#8theging3r(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 4:05:32 PM
JaclynGlenn, MrRepzion, Lee Lemon, suavarenee. I think some of these are the informative ones but yeah these are the primary ones I've seen so far.
---
~Atisha~
#9mystic belmontPosted 9/15/2013 7:29:06 PM
Nitro378 posted...

Dillahunty himself read the bible, which caused him to turn away from his religion.
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#10Faust_8Posted 9/15/2013 8:01:35 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
A lot of atheists are so uncomfortable with their on situation/position in life, atleast spiritually speaking, that they have to attack other people to feel better in life. Its a lot like the playground bully complex.

"Your are so stupid for believing in God. Who does that? Only idiots believe in God. lol haha"

Me: -_-

Find me an example of this.

Thats interesting, jonwood, because of all the christian videos i have seen on youtube (several hundred), i have never heard one that went attacking atheists or their (lack of) beliefs.

Jesus, there are too MANY examples of this. Here's only one: ShockOfGod or however you spell it.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.