This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Those who have no theistic beliefs, what would your ideal "holy book" contain?

#11EastsideslingerPosted 9/16/2013 10:20:17 AM
FlashOfLight posted...
For those who reject any and all beliefs in a deity, or deities, or even spiritual beings, as per the beliefs found throughout Native American tribes, what would your ideal, go-to book by the creator of the universe, or otherwise cosmic being - contain?

Atheists, for example, often put their critiques against the Bible, expressing how they find it to be scientifically, historically, or morally unreliable or inaccurate.

The world's main religions usually have an accepted collection of "divine" or "sacred" writings, the more well known, besides the Bible, are Islam's Quran, Hinduism's Vedas, Sikhism's Guru Granth Sahib, Taoism's Tao Te Ching, Buddhism's Tripitaka with its Sutras by Buddha, and Confucianism's Five Classics.

Some of the different religious writings share similar subject matter, such as origins, hymns, the particular religion's historical occurences of importance, practical advise for daily life (or if some wish, wisdom), and accounts of non-earthly events beyond human experience, such as what happens or happened in a primordial world or in the heavens.

The length of these different books varies, but in general, under normal type and conventional text, they can exceed anywhere from 400-2,000 plus pages.

So I would like to ask to non-believers who hold no faith, what would your ideal holy, or sacred book contain, and how long should it be? A short and to the point book of 60 pages? A regular sized novel book, between 400 and 800 pages? Or a vast and deep collection of books that span volumes as much as the classical encyclopedia? (Usually 26 separate books of around 200 pages each).

When I think about it, I suppose that atheists may favour a form of book that is not very much different than a standard dictionary, since a dictionary usually covers all the subjects that atheists feel sacred writings tend to lack, such as specific scientific definitions and information (the periodic table of elements, universal weights and measures, a map of the world, constellation chart, anatomical charts of the human body, types of rocks, evolution diagrams, explanations on grammar, biological classifications, mechanical diagrams, the electromagnetic spectrum, and natural phenomenon such as lightning, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc, to just name some of the things covered.)

As well, some dictionaries tend to have a section on history, and have short biographies on key figures.

So would that suffice? Or what would the ideal book be lacking, or be in need of covering in detail to erase doubts, and would the length not matter for the sake of convenience, or if it was a very lengthy volume, would it be welcomed despite its massive contents?

What should and should not the ideal sacred book contain?

Hymns
Science
History
Personal information about the reader's life or circumstances
Prophecies
Wisdom
Poetry
Knowledge about the unknown
Romantic dialogue
Assurance of one's worth and ultimate destiny

Is this suppose to be insulting? Not every non-theist praises science in the vain a theist does their specific flavor of belief. In any case, the idea of a "holy book" is dumb on it's head. You don't need one book to define the totality of our understanding and even still that understanding evolves with time where as a sacred book is supposed to be infallibale and unchanging due to it's vaunted nature as the end all be all source for knowledge and understanding.
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#12Hustle KongPosted 9/16/2013 10:43:07 AM
where as a sacred book is supposed to be infallibale and unchanging due to it's vaunted nature as the end all be all source for knowledge and understanding.

This is certainly not the case with all sacred literature. It's bad form to call someone out on a possible mis-characterization only to do the same thing.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#13EastsideslingerPosted 9/16/2013 10:56:54 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
where as a sacred book is supposed to be infallibale and unchanging due to it's vaunted nature as the end all be all source for knowledge and understanding.

This is certainly not the case with all sacred literature. It's bad form to call someone out on a possible mis-characterization only to do the same thing.

On a genuine note I'm curious as to what particular text can be edited as wanted/needed/desired as new knowledge and understanding is gained? I don't mean by the way in how the text are interpreted either.
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#14Hustle KongPosted 9/16/2013 11:11:51 AM
I don't know about "edited". That isn't what either of us was talking about. I said that not all sacred texts are supposed to be "infallible" or the end-all and be-all sources of knowledge and understanding.

In fact, that seems to be one particular understanding of a couple particular texts.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#15FlashOfLight(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:28:39 PM
Eastsideslinger posted...

Is this suppose to be insulting? Not every non-theist praises science in the vain a theist does their specific flavor of belief.

No, not at all, in asking this question it's to get an assessment of what a person who doesn't have faith in anything, holds to be a standard if there was a book that would meet theirs, and particularly because they are already informed on the alternatives which they feel are lacking, whether in history, or information about the deity, or things relating to the person's unique life, such as why they may have suffered certain things or the cause for why they had to deal with hard circumstances, and not just based on lack of scientific information given.
---
"Ep-pe, pep-pe, kak-ke! Hil-lo, hol-lo, hel-lo! Ziz-zy, zuz-zy, zik!"
#16FlashOfLight(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:31:58 PM
gamesrgreat posted...
I hate to be that guy but I think you meant encyclopedia and not dictionary

I mentioned both, the dictionary because it can stand alone by itself and be handheld, even if it's a heavy version, and encyclopedia in that people may feel that just one book alone from a cosmic being isn't enough to cover a wide range of material, as JonWood has pointed out.
---
#17gamesrgreatPosted 9/16/2013 9:04:40 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
gamesrgreat posted...
I hate to be that guy but I think you meant encyclopedia and not dictionary

I mentioned both, the dictionary because it can stand alone by itself and be handheld, even if it's a heavy version, and encyclopedia in that people may feel that just one book alone from a cosmic being isn't enough to cover a wide range of material, as JonWood has pointed out.

Yeah you mentioned both but when you explained what a dictionary has I thought you were talking about an encyclopedia b/c none of my dictionaries have what you are talking about
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#18FlashOfLight(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 9:34:43 PM
gamesrgreat posted...

Yeah you mentioned both but when you explained what a dictionary has I thought you were talking about an encyclopedia b/c none of my dictionaries have what you are talking about

I happen to have a nice collection of dictionaries, from small pocket-sized ones, to huge old Random House ones, and international versions in other languages, if one thinks of only the text-only versions, then of course it may sound odd why I mentioned them including charts, or diagrams, but even text-only versions tend to have the periodic table of the elements, and lists containing geographical information, and that can definitely be included in a non-visual book.

As far as the books I mentioned, the Asian ones tend to be accompanied by art pieces, which of course may be an edition of choice by the publisher, and not present within the first copies, but the point is that one need not think that an ideal sacred book would be devoid of visual content.

http://brightonkrishna.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/vedas4.png?w=660
---
#19gamesrgreatPosted 9/16/2013 10:28:01 PM
Huh. Sounds like you have some badass dictionaries
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#20FlashOfLight(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 5:18:14 PM
gamesrgreat posted...
Huh. Sounds like you have some badass dictionaries

I consider them a must-have, and I'm very anal about things, so I'm the type of person that just won't do or be satisfied with a limited edition or with one that may leave something out; if there are, for example, 170,000 recognized words in the English language, I want to know every single word just so that there is nothing left out and so that it is as complete as possible.

Likewise, every year some words are added and recognized and I would prefer to be aware of them.

The same extends to world flags in use, or nations or previous geographical areas that have not been previously recognized as sovereign territories, which is why I closely follow land and sovereignty disputes in places such as Catalonia, Gibraltar, Cyprus, and Georgia and South Ossetia, for example, since I don't want to be with an outdated world map.

Anyway, just a personal tidbit, but I like to have multiple sources for the sake of updates, as well as historical, to keep a record of how things may have changed.
---