This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Being religious or spiritual is linked with getting more depressed"

#11GBALoserPosted 9/17/2013 5:12:08 AM
Definitely need more testing before any conclusion should be made.

Besides, even the authors believe what link there is is probably weak at best.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#12GuideToTheDarkPosted 9/17/2013 1:35:41 PM
This is the exact opposite of every news article I've read on the subject. It's always "religion/spirituality link with happiness/health". Gonna have to wait for more evidence before I can take this with anything more than a grain of salt.
---
SHUTUPPU ANDE EAT! TOO BAD NO BON APPETIT!
#13JonWood007(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 1:41:29 PM
GuideToTheDark posted...
This is the exact opposite of every news article I've read on the subject. It's always "religion/spirituality link with happiness/health". Gonna have to wait for more evidence before I can take this with anything more than a grain of salt.

Fair enough.

As I said, I kind of found it in keeping with my own experiences, but I know my experiences aren't necessarily in line with everyone else's.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#14SilviiroPosted 9/17/2013 4:16:23 PM
In my personal data point I will say that as I've become more depressed I've become more religious, throwing myself on the mercy of God. On the one hand it gives me hope that possibly things will get better or I'll be killed off, on the other hand I fear that through hopelessness I am being molded for a purpose and that would mean there must be a very dark time in my life coming up for me to need this to prepare me.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#15SirThinkALotPosted 9/18/2013 6:23:42 AM
Silviiro posted...
In my personal data point I will say that as I've become more depressed I've become more religious, throwing myself on the mercy of God. On the one hand it gives me hope that possibly things will get better or I'll be killed off, on the other hand I fear that through hopelessness I am being molded for a purpose and that would mean there must be a very dark time in my life coming up for me to need this to prepare me.

Yea, its possible that if this correlation exists, that the causal factor may run in the opposite direction: Those people more prone to depression are more likely to be religious, under the belief that it will bring them comfort.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#16rick alveradoPosted 9/18/2013 8:13:49 AM
I know for myself my depression hasn't exactly changed from my transition from religious to non-religious per se, but the fact that being non-religious puts me in the minority around here has definitely had an affect.

Oh, when I say the transition I more mean overall from where I was before to after. While it was happening there was definitely some increased depression just as a result of my views changing.
#17Blue_Dream87Posted 9/18/2013 5:03:01 PM
Yeah, I really have to question this article. Read in a textbook how religion actually does bring happiness (has to do with a supportive community & leading a healthier lifestyle), and pretty much every therapist I've talked to has suggested religion or spirituality as a way to combat depression.
---
http://i.imgur.com/daXMtgq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O0z1YeH.gif
#18JonWood007(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 11:04:56 PM
Again, fair enough. If the evidence in favor of it making people happier is stronger than this evidence, then I'll have to conclude that this article is either a statistical anomaly or it is measuring things in a different way or something. Everyone's experiences are different after all.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#19FingerpuppetPosted 9/18/2013 11:15:15 PM
Tl;dr: Not enough data on either end of the spectrum. The middle ground, no effect, is the most reasonable stance at this time.
---
http://i.imgur.com/kubEx.jpg
^^If you do not have an open mind, then I have nothing to discuss with you.