This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you profess to follow the "one true faith," how do you know yours is correct?

#11Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:07:10 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Iamvegito posted...
I know the God of the bible is real because of the miracles he has worked in my life and the infallible historical accuracy of the bible.

Do you have more to say about the bolded?

Best example: The history of original sin.

Original sin started with wanting to have knowledge like God- good and evil. Thats what the apple was about. The snake lied and said "Oh no its not bad, God doesnt want you to be like him". That was only half true. The problem was- humans cannot handle knowledge of evil, it makes us want to do it. Just like the tower of babel, just like lucifer failing to rebel against god and getting thrown into hell. Sin starts with trying to be God. When you break it down- sin starts when we are trying to be something that we are not suppose to be.

So the history of sin rings 100% true till today. The greatest villains of society- Stalin, Hitler, Mao tried to have all power to themselves (wanting to be god like) and ended up becoming the most evil hated things humanity had to offer.

Look at the history. Knowledge is power. Sin is bad. Jesus is the way to goodness.

I think there is a gap that you're glossing over here - the tendency of power to corrupt becomes "humans want to be like God."
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#12Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/16/2013 7:15:15 PM(edited)
Your not thinking...

What did lucifer want when he rebelled against God?
What did humans want when they build the tower to meet God?
What did the snake deceive Eve that she was getting when she ate the apple?

Power...

You just proved my point.

Power belongs to God. Not us.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#13Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:24:45 PM
Your not thinking...

What did lucifer want when he rebelled against God?
What did humans want when they build the tower to meet God?
What did the snake deceive Eve that she was getting when she ate the apple?

Power...

You just proved my point.

Power belongs to God. Not us.

Seems a bit ex post facto to ascribe human nature to some prehistorical battle of celestial beings.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#14kts123Posted 9/17/2013 11:02:04 AM
Iamvegito posted...
How do you determine that you are correct and that anyone else who thinks that they are correct is wrong?

When faced with God, maybe you could ask Him.
#15Moorish_IdolPosted 9/17/2013 11:10:39 AM
Iamvegito posted...
How do you determine that you are correct and that anyone else who thinks that they are correct is wrong?

Honestly a bit surprised by the confidence in this topic so far. Also not at all surprised that Nitro somehow Godwin'd.

I don't know if I am right. I've been convinced to believe what I do, but I'm most likely wrong on several matters. When it comes to things like god and spirituality, I think it's impossible to be 100% correct. So as far as others being wrong, I can't really say that either.
#16Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 12:17:01 PM
kts123 posted...
Iamvegito posted...

When faced with God, maybe you could ask Him.

God doesn't seem to want to/ be able to answer these questions. Otherwise, God would bring Godself down here and answer them for us.
---
#17Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 12:18:57 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
Iamvegito posted...

Honestly a bit surprised by the confidence in this topic so far. Also not at all surprised that Nitro somehow Godwin'd.
Where's Godwin?

I don't know if I am right. I've been convinced to believe what I do, but I'm most likely wrong on several matters. When it comes to things like god and spirituality, I think it's impossible to be 100% correct. So as far as others being wrong, I can't really say that either.

Does being wrong matter, then? Is there some sort of punishment for being 99% correct? (or 50%, or 10%, or 0%?)
---
#18Moorish_IdolPosted 9/17/2013 12:47:24 PM
I don't believe in any sort of punishment, no. But I could be wrong about that, of course, but personally I don't see how eternal punishment makes any sense.
#19Lord_IchmaelPosted 9/17/2013 12:47:36 PM
I have yet to see anyone of any faith provide an adequate answer beyond "I don't know".

Iamvegito posted...
I know the God of the bible is real because of the miracles he has worked in my life and the infallible historical accuracy of the bible.

Do you have more to say about the bolded?

Best example: The history of original sin.

Original sin started with wanting to have knowledge like God- good and evil. Thats what the apple was about. The snake lied and said "Oh no its not bad, God doesnt want you to be like him". That was only half true. The problem was- humans cannot handle knowledge of evil, it makes us want to do it. Just like the tower of babel, just like lucifer failing to rebel against god and getting thrown into hell. Sin starts with trying to be God. When you break it down- sin starts when we are trying to be something that we are not suppose to be.

So the history of sin rings 100% true till today. The greatest villains of society- Stalin, Hitler, Mao tried to have all power to themselves (wanting to be god like) and ended up becoming the most evil hated things humanity had to offer.

Look at the history. Knowledge is power. Sin is bad. Jesus is the way to goodness.

If that's your "best example", I shudder to think what the 2nd best one is. So because part of the Adam and Eve story happens to have a parallel to some situations in recent history if you take a jump in logic from "wanting power = wanting to be God", that makes it perfectly historically accurate?
#20Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/17/2013 2:04:04 PM
There is no "jump in logic". Theres a perfectly logical and documented reason why there are so many parallels between the original sin and evil sinful people/actions throughout history. It all follows the same pattern that i thought i already explained.

All because you dont like it doesnt mean it isnt true. History doesnt lie.

Theres dozens of examples. That was the best one off the top of my head.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash