This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

in your best words, please describe what a 'relationship with God is'

#1DarkContractorPosted 9/17/2013 11:04:39 AM
Thanks
#2IamvegitoPosted 9/17/2013 12:20:09 PM
Hope that the God of Promise will see those promises fulfilled.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#3WhereDidItGoPosted 9/17/2013 12:53:47 PM
"Love God, serve God: everything is in that." -- St. Clare of Assisi

Not my own words, but some of the best I think.
---
"The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason." - G.K. Chesterton
#4GuideToTheDarkPosted 9/17/2013 12:58:39 PM
There are lots of relationship types. I have a very casual but familiar relationship with the gnome on my neighbor's lawn.
---
SHUTUPPU ANDE EAT! TOO BAD NO BON APPETIT!
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/17/2013 2:10:09 PM
There are many avenues to answer this question with: communication, work/reward aspect, trust in gods word, etc.

Im gonna focus on communication:

To me, any relationship revolves around communication. Whether it be romantic (bf/gf), familial (mom/dad), or friendly (best friend), without communication the relationship will fail. This even goes into the divine relationship (God). The Lord says ask and we shall receive, knock and the door will be opened. God cannot grant us what we dont ask. It doesnt mean he gives us everything we ask, God is not a genie. I talk to God practically everyday. I talk about Girl issues, issues i have with stuff in the bible, with other christians, issues with finances, with my health problems. God hears them all when i pray correctly. He doesnt always give the answer i want, or when i want it. But I always get something.

When ever coming across the subject of relationship with God, ask yourself: "What am i communicating to God"?
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#6JonWood007Posted 9/17/2013 2:18:31 PM
^^When I was a Christian, I used to see the world very similarly to Polish. But somewhere along the way, the communication broke down. And then I found there are mountains of evidence suggesting that the communication was not real, but all in my head. And now I doubt that I had any real communication at all, but that I was talking to myself.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/17/2013 2:41:32 PM
You never considered, jon wood- that what you found as a "mountain of evidence" against God maybe all in your head too...
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#8DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 4:39:33 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
You never consideresd jon wood- that what you found as a "mountain of evidence" against God maybe all in your head too...

Yes he has. He struggled with it for a longass time.
#9Faust_8Posted 9/17/2013 5:46:20 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
You never considered, jon wood- that what you found as a "mountain of evidence" against God maybe all in your head too...

Except the evidence he's talking about is probably logic and psychology and knowledge of human nature, which exists outside his head.

Whereas whatever you're doing...can it even be shown to exist outside of your mind? Do you know these thoughts you have ever leave your consciousness? Know for a FACT, not just a feeling? Because "oh I'm sure, God talks to me" means that works with every other religion with other deities that other people claim to have talked to. We have to take anyone who's claimed to talk to Allah seriously. We have to take anyone who's claimed to talk to Krishna seriously. And so on, if it's all just a "feeling" that you're not talking to your own head.

I'm not saying Jon is proven to be right, just that your accusation doesn't make any sense unless all of Jon's evidence was found by turning inward. If he went out and learned things he didn't know that cannot possibly be "all inside [his] head."

But I am saying that if one of you is guilty of something only being inside one's head, it HAS to be you.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#10Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/17/2013 6:47:33 PM
No, you are wrong. Because God has worked physically outside of my head with several miracles that i requested. So your assumption is wrong again, faust.
---