This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

in your best words, please describe what a 'relationship with God is'

#31IamvegitoPosted 9/19/2013 3:09:41 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Miracles are the best way to prove/disprove a religion/belief.

I agree. I wouldn't believe in any religion that is based around miracles, since that shows its deity doesn't give a s*** for logical continuity/ fairness.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#32Wandering__HeroPosted 9/19/2013 3:14:18 PM
Iamvegito posted...
Miracles are the best way to prove/disprove a religion/belief.

I agree. I wouldn't believe in any religion that is based around miracles, since that shows its deity doesn't give a s*** for logical continuity/ fairness.

This is just polish's attention whoring style, as described in Finger Puppet's post
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#33kozlo100Posted 9/19/2013 3:40:52 PM
I couldn't decide for a while if I wanted to answer this or not, but I guess I do.

So back when I was Catholic, it was conversations with God. Typically me thinking as if I was speaking to him, and getting responses in terms of inspirations or spontaneously generated thoughts. By my reckoning at the time, some thoughts were mine, and some were 'other'. There was also, when I took the time to think of it, evaluation of what God would think about some action I was considering, and thankfulness when events went my way. Also, honestly some resentment when they didn't. There was also a kind of notion that God knew my mind in a way no one else could, so there was no point in being dishonest in these communications, and no need to feel guilt or shame. He knew why I did what I did, so just doing the best I could and being repentant when I screwed up was enough.

I still do pretty much all of that now that I'm an atheist as well, it's just now with the understanding that I'm communicating with an inner aspect of myself, rather than a deity. And of course the thankfulness and resentment, are more appreciation and disappointment felt towards an impartial world.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#34Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/19/2013 5:10:51 PM
Wandering__Hero posted...
Its the part that if your not willing to try working it then you might as well be an Atheist. Christianity ain't for half assers

Thats literally almost what Johnny Cash said. Look at my quote.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#35DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 3:20:16 PM
Now, what I'm observing is two things.

1) Some of you have differing ideas of what the relationship actually is. If both of you are in disagreement with one another on what the relationship is, then shouldn't one of your relationships be a placebo? (Unless God appears to people differently but yet all within the confines of the subjective inner thought. But that requires several more assumptions than it being a placebo)

2) Some of you look to Scripture and God 'working in your lives' and such as a way of validating your experience. To me, this means that more than likely your relationship is a Darwinian process, random events tossing you around, blowing you in whichever direction the wind happens to blow. The man who happens to read his Bible and immediately opens up to a passage that he can relate very well to is more likely to stay in the faith, while the man who can't really find a passage to relate to his current problems in life might be more likely to drop in faith a bit. Heck, when I first became a Christian, a couple days later I had this experience where I was thinking "Oh cmon, do i really believe this? This is ridiculous? You know what, I'll ask God for some answers" so I prayed and opened up my Bible and landed at James 1, which was quite relatable to at the time. I don't know how I would have acted had I not landed there, but I do know I ended up bragging about that story several times. If you pray for food and find it provided, your faith is increased. But if you end up starving, it drops.

Of course, the 'faith' thresholds for everyone and how much a particular event will mess with your faith is subjective for everyone, but I think that the general structure I'm proposing is how it works in most cases.
#36Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/22/2013 3:57:49 PM
DC, you are thinking way too much into it than you need to. Please dont turn into Jonwood in the other topic with just pages and pages of arguments about what we think definitions of things are.

A relationship is a relationship across the board. All relationships require the same thing- communication, time, trust, knowledge of both parties involved.

The biggest difference with a divine relationship is that we typically dont get communicated back in verbal language. And the physical body is not there.

Thats basically it. The communication, the knowledge and time aspects are all still there.

Does that help clear things up?
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#37DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 4:02:09 PM
DC, you are thinking way too much into it than you need to. Please dont turn into Jonwood in the other topic with just pages and pages of arguments about what we think definitions of things are.

A relationship is a relationship across the board. All relationships require the same thing- communication, time, trust, knowledge of both parties involved.

The biggest difference with a divine relationship is that we typically dont get communicated back in verbal language. And the physical body is not there.

Thats basically it. The communication, the knowledge and time aspects are all still there.

Does that help clear things up?

naw, im sure this revelation will make everyone's jaw drop, but "no u r wrung it is a relatinshup' did not clear anything at all up to me.
#38Polish_CrusaderPosted 9/22/2013 6:25:29 PM
Ok so it doesnt clear things up. Thats all u had to say. Well i dont know what to tell you.

Its your topic. What answer were you looking for?
---
#39JonWood007Posted 9/22/2013 6:50:31 PM

You're right. Not thinking about things is sooo much better...
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#40DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 7:08:16 PM
Ok so it doesnt clear things up. Thats all u had to say. Well i dont know what to tell you.

Its your topic. What answer were you looking for?

Pretty much anything besides 'a relationship with god is a relationship with God'