This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video: 15 things to NEVER say to an atheist

#1JoCrazyPosted 9/24/2013 9:33:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjEbPfc2d0

As an Atheist, I've had religious people say these things to me. This a great video and response to the typical stuff said to atheist.
---
Follow me on Twitter @JJSmithRadio
#2Faust_8Posted 9/24/2013 10:20:44 PM
Title of the video should be "15 things you shouldn't say to an atheist" (since that's exactly what he says and is the vibe of the video) but other than that, not bad.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#3Hustle KongPosted 9/25/2013 4:54:06 AM
I think I am uncomfortable with what appears to me to be an increase in identifying with a group, and then speaking for that group, as opposed to oneself as an individual. I seem to normally see it in social media posts such as "how to deal with an introvert", &c.

I would hope people learn about me as me, and not necessarily "oh, this guy is X, I should be careful to speak in such and such a way".

It reduces us to mere facets of our selves, IMO.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4GBALoserPosted 9/25/2013 5:17:50 AM
I think I am uncomfortable with what appears to me to be an increase in identifying with a group, and then speaking for that group, as opposed to oneself as an individual. I seem to normally see it in social media posts such as "how to deal with an introvert", &c.

It's an extension of group behavior. Think of a sports fan. Sports fans don't say, "Our team won." They say "We won." being a sports fan isn't their defining trait, but it shows that they identify with said group.

Likewise with anything regarding religious discussion. We see one form of Christianity/Islam/Buddhism/atheism etc. and apply it to all adherents despite knowing such generalizations are faulty. However when our personal beliefs are questioned by those not within the group, it becomes "We Christians" or "We Atheists." It's strength in numbers. It expresses that we as individuals are not the only ones have these views.

Anyways, I don't walk on egg shells whenever anyone professes their faith. I'm usually silent, mostly because it gets me insight into their general world views in a manner that is non-threatening to the speaker. I've been called many titles that I am not -- Christian, atheist, Republican -- simply because the way I look at things in the world defy simple identification.

But again, that's my choice not to play cheerleader for any particular team. People generally accept that.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#5rick alveradoPosted 9/25/2013 8:26:02 AM
Would you mind posting the 15 things in this topic?
#6Hustle KongPosted 9/25/2013 9:26:39 AM
rick alverado posted...

I didn't watch, obviously. But yeah, transcripts on text message boards are always helpful.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#7WhereDidItGoPosted 9/25/2013 9:49:15 AM
rick alverado posted...

1. Where do you get your morality from?
2. Your life must be empty.
3. Why are you mad at God?
4. You can't disprove God.
5. What if you're wrong?
6. You just have to have faith.
7. Just open your heart.
8. You were never really religious.
9. What happened in your childhood?
10. Have you read the bible?
11. I will pray for you.
12. Do you worship the devil?
13. You must be agnostic.
14. Isn't atheism a religion?
15. Why are you so angry?
---
"The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason." - G.K. Chesterton
#8kozlo100Posted 9/25/2013 9:55:36 AM
This atheist has no problem having any of that said to him.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#9Hustle KongPosted 9/25/2013 9:58:37 AM(edited)
kozlo100 posted...
This atheist has no problem having any of that said to him.

Nor does this one. In fact, I'd be happy to clarify those based on misconceptions.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#10IamvegitoPosted 9/25/2013 12:20:12 PM
WhereDidItGo posted...
10. Have you read the bible?

I dare someone to say this to me.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."