This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video: 15 things to NEVER say to an atheist

#21mrtzeentchPosted 9/28/2013 9:52:59 AM
kozlo100 posted...
This atheist has no problem having any of that said to him.

This. Anyone who wouldn't want people to say thing/question them is obviously pretty insecure in their beliefs./
#22mrtzeentchPosted 9/28/2013 9:56:02 AM
bsballa09 posted...
Asking if they read the bible is a valid question.

Most atheists I know haven't read the bible. Why would they? Would you read the Quran if you weren't Muslim? I mean sure it's good to read these books to really know what they say but not required to have a valid argument,. Most of the time you see atheists quoting bible verses, it's stuff they copy/pasted off of atheist talking-points lists on the internet. I think people who do that are pretty stupid. If you haven't read the bible, don't claim you have, simply say you haven't read it. What's wrong with that?
#23Hustle KongPosted 9/28/2013 10:14:15 AM
Most atheists I know haven't read the bible. Why would they?

The bible has been CRAZY influential in western civilization. An educated adult westerner should have some basic cultural things down. Shakespeare and Homer, too.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#24Moorish_IdolPosted 9/28/2013 10:57:08 AM
mrtzeentch posted...
bsballa09 posted...
Asking if they read the bible is a valid question.

Most atheists I know haven't read the bible. Why would they? Would you read the Quran if you weren't Muslim?

I'm not Muslim and I've read (most of) the Quran. I'm also not Mormon and I've read the Book of Mormon, nor am I Hindu but I've read the Vedas and several of their other texts.

It's not unheard of to have an interest in religion and philosophy. You don't have to be part of a religion or seeking to convert to read their book, you know.
#25CthulhuPosted 9/29/2013 8:44:04 AM
Those 15 things usually provoke argument and demonstrate ignorance on the part of the asker. If religious people don't mind appearing so, they can say that to me
#26rick alveradoPosted 9/29/2013 11:24:03 AM
Cthulhu posted...
Those 15 things usually provoke argument and demonstrate ignorance on the part of the asker. If religious people don't mind appearing so, they can say that to me

You are right that several of those questions indicate ignorance, which is why it's not a bad thing to ask them. The only way to overcome ignorance is to learn new information, and asking is a great way to do so.