This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

the bible and everything else

#11Moorish_IdolPosted 10/5/2013 11:57:35 AM
mr_brain123 posted...
Oh and by the way where is the page where I would find the cause and reason for the big bang and what came before it?

Not sure what page you mean, but I'm going to suggest reading Krauss' "A Universe from Nothing":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1451624468

One of the better summaries of various ideas out there. If you're looking for the definite answer, though, it doesn't exist.
#12SirThinkALotPosted 10/5/2013 2:34:57 PM
Because the Bible is not a geography or scientific text book?
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#13Faust_8Posted 10/5/2013 4:12:11 PM
Yes, another thread where C_Mat is utterly wrong about everything he says.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#14Polish_CrusaderPosted 10/5/2013 6:15:42 PM
Another thread where faust is saying nothing but rubbish. Completely worthless posts to the topic at hand.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#15DagorhaPosted 10/5/2013 8:10:13 PM
Another post by PC, making things worse for himself
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#16Maverick3000Posted 10/6/2013 7:16:26 AM
Why would the Bible mention stuff like blackholes and galaxies? That stuff has no impact on your average person.

Why doesn't it talk about other countries? Easy, as that is not the subject. The OT is focused on the history of the Jewish people, while the NT focuses on Jesus and the stuff that happened after. Now, why God didn't sent the message to OTHER parts of the world is a legit question.
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#17Maverick3000Posted 10/6/2013 7:17:31 AM
Also, "Word of God" doesn't mean it's literally written by God, except maybe by a couple crazy people. It generally means that it was written by people who were inspired by God.
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#18Faust_8Posted 10/6/2013 7:29:39 AM
Maverick3000 posted...
Also, "Word of God" doesn't mean it's literally written by God, except maybe by a couple crazy people. It generally means that it was written by people who were inspired by God.

Which explains every error and why it should not be completely trusted on pretty much anything.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#19JonWood007Posted 10/6/2013 7:47:59 AM(edited)
Maverick3000 posted...

This is a meaningless statement. It's basically a lame way to get around its obvious faults while you still claim it to be of divine origin. This allows you to say it's infallible, except when it isn't, correct, except where it's not, basically allows you to cherrypick the parts you like to death while ignoring its very real faults. I argue, if you can't trust it in the little things, how can you trust it in the big things? If it can't get its view of the natural right, how can we trust it on the supernatural? Or put in another way, if it can't even get that which can be verified as correct, how can we trust it on that which is unverified?

Saying it's divinely inspired doesn't seem like a very good argument. Just seems like an excuse to handwave criticism and inconsistency by attributing it to its human writers, while still claiming the other parts are divine. Well, if the whole thing isn't divine, how do you know what parts are, if any?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#20imhungry24-7Posted 10/6/2013 12:39:08 PM
I can think of one mention.off the top of my head. John 10: 16
---
"Whoah! Where's my Dingus?" -Finn the Human