This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question to Christians: how do you defend your religion compared to others?

#31spartanmkPosted 10/29/2013 11:54:24 PM(edited)
FlashOfLight, you are quoting verses from both the Bible and Quran, but I'm not sure what their relevancy is here. If i'm understanding you correctly It seems as if you're trying to argue whether Jesus (peace be upon him) is the Begotten son. This puzzles me as I haven't contested this Christian claim at all, not even in the part you quoted me in. I was talking about contextualization of wartime conducts. What this has to do with whether Jesus is the Begotten son eludes me. As for that conversation, it's for another time and topic altogether.

Your latest post also confuses me because you seem to be contesting whether the simplicity of language is more effective than having a practical universal language. Which again, is not only a discussion for another time and topic altogether, but it has nothing to do with what I wrote on the matter. My intention, which I thought was quite clear, was to explain why in Islam we have a universal language, not to argue whether it's a better system than the one youre bringing up. Not even to compare them which is why I don't know why you are.

I admit I might have steered the topic away from topic creator's discussion, for which I apologise. I merely saw certain misconceptions on Islam throughout the topic which I wanted to help clear up.

Polish_Crusader, from the link you provided on these conquests it says they started in 633. The Quran began to be revealed, hence starting Islam, in 602. It concluded in 632 when Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) died. He died before these conquests you're talking about even started.

At the -LITERAL- start of Islam, while the Quran was being revealed, despite facing immense social, economic, and civil injustices Prophet Muhammad wholly forbade causing any form of public disorder or society interruption. He preached quietly among family and friends during the first three years of his ministry.

When active persecution began, Prophet Muhammad ordered his companions to worship privately in their homes as to avoid public disorder as much as possible. When persecution intensified, him and fellow Muslims left Mecca altogether, all to preserve peace and avoid public disorder. Even righteous Christians in Abyssinia took them in.

There was no war.

I hope my input helped some. Again, this topic isn't about the things I've been discussing in my posts which I again apologize for.
#32GuideToTheDarkPosted 10/30/2013 3:23:29 AM
C_Mat posted...
GuideToTheDark posted...
Perhaps because Jesus said, "I am THE way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by me."

Those other religions say just about the equivalent, y'know. "This way is the right and true way."

What's your point?

Why believe one and not the other, when both claim the same?
---
Creating an engine that generates fun is high art.
#33the final bahamutPosted 10/30/2013 6:34:47 AM
I am not a Christian because Jesus does not live up to the role of The Messiah in the Jewish tradition and the religion must therefore be false. I am not a Muslim because several of the laws implies a 180 on behalf of God. I am not a polytheist because my ancestors made a pact with God.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#34C_MatPosted 10/30/2013 7:01:06 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...
Why believe one and not the other, when both claim the same?

Perhaps you should go back and look at the original context when I said that. I didn't say I believe in Christianity because of that quote from Jesus. I was responding to the TC's apparent confusion about why Christians think their religion is the only way to God. He seems to think it comes from being close-minded, when in reality we're just repeating what Jesus Himself said.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#35FlashOfLightPosted 10/30/2013 2:44:29 PM
spartanmk posted...
FlashOfLight, you are quoting verses from both the Bible and Quran, but I'm not sure what their relevancy is here. If i'm understanding you correctly It seems as if you're trying to argue whether Jesus (peace be upon him) is the Begotten son. This puzzles me as I haven't contested this Christian claim at all, not even in the part you quoted me in. I was talking about contextualization of wartime conducts. What this has to do with whether Jesus is the Begotten son eludes me. As for that conversation, it's for another time and topic altogether.

The relevance, as I have been trying to insist, is that by the Quran's own words - it acknowledges that it is built on the Torah, and the Prophets, and the Gospel, that Gospel is not separated from the words I cited by Jesus himself, which the Quran ultimately dismisses, Jesus Christ is merely a prophet in Islam, and not what the Bible (which includes the Gospel) claims he also is, which is the judge of the living and dead, among having pre-existed before the foundation of the world, and Jesus Christ himself being the one by whom the Almighty God created heaven and earth.

I tied in that with what you brought up, concerning the Quran talking about wartime matters, the Quran excludes Jesus Christ's role in those same wartime matters, particularly the end of the world, and the day of resurrection which the Quran does reference, and relevant to when non-muslims will be judged because of their unbelief.

---My intention, which I thought was quite clear, was to explain why in Islam we have a universal language, not to argue whether it's a better system than the one youre bringing up. Not even to compare them which is why I don't know why you are.

The reason why I bring it up, is not for confusion, but to establish that the Gospel was set by God as easy to be understood for anyone willing to hear, from a child to the scholar, because it deals with the salvation of man, so that if someone knows just a little bit about God because of the Gospel, it is enough for them to be accepted by God, in contrast to the belief that many muslims have concerning it a requirement to memorize the entire Quran, and in the Arabic language specifically.

I am arguing that whether in one's native tongue, or a universal language, God's security in granting salvation on to men is most especially found in the simplicity of the Gospel. Nevertheless, if it is still confusing, please keep in mind that I am bringing all these things up in relation to the topic at hand, which is dealing which of these faiths can be trusted as being the true and accurate messengers of the divine.
---
http://www.thecomicbookguy.com/images/comic%20images/lifescrooge3.JPG
#36FingerpuppetPosted 11/1/2013 9:43:24 PM
BronyFriendzoni posted...
Atheists have a lot of problems with Christianity, and those problems rarely have to do with what the evidence for his existence. So naturally there are a lot of different defenses of Christianity, and just religion in general that I use.

Not really. My main problem with Christianity is the lack of evidence.
---
http://i.imgur.com/kubEx.jpg
^^If you do not have an open mind, then I have nothing to discuss with you.
#37BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/1/2013 10:38:09 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...
Atheists have a lot of problems with Christianity, and those problems rarely have to do with what the evidence for his existence. So naturally there are a lot of different defenses of Christianity, and just religion in general that I use.

Do you speak for all atheists?
#38Moorish_IdolPosted 11/1/2013 10:45:03 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...

Do you speak for all atheists?

Asks the man who just spoke for all atheists himself.
#39BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/1/2013 11:41:02 PM
I've met and debated with a lot of atheists. I'm going on my experiences talking to them. You only mentioned yourself.
#40FingerpuppetPosted 11/2/2013 9:32:22 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess that you've been debating on YouTube or have learned nothing from those debates.
---
http://i.imgur.com/kubEx.jpg
^^If you do not have an open mind, then I have nothing to discuss with you.