This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: how do we vote with the poor in mind?

#1the_hedonistPosted 10/29/2013 2:47:31 PM
I was browsing facebook the other day and came across status updates from two evangelical Christian friends of mine. They were something to this effect:

"If you voted for Obama, you turned your back on God."

"Why does the 'Christian' party (Republican) consistently neglect the poor?"

I used to be a fairly staunch economic libertarian, but I am beginning to be slightly more moderate. All Christians would agree that it is both a duty and a delight to care for the poor. Why are we so divided on this issue?
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#2WelshGamer82Posted 10/29/2013 2:55:15 PM
Tag
#3kozlo100Posted 10/29/2013 3:09:00 PM
This has always seemed like a tricky question to me. Lots of factors at play.

On the one hand, it seems best to use your vote to do the most good for people in need, but on the other there is the morality of legally compelling people to charity.

In a sort of similar vein, is it better for someone to refrain from sin out of his own heart, or because he doesn't want the cops to come after him? How should that affect a Christian's vote?

It's a complicated issue, undoubtedly. Though it is puzzling why the Religious Right has chosen the particular path they have. It certainly doesn't seem consistent at first glance.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4master_gamr1231Posted 10/29/2013 5:15:58 PM
kozlo100 posted...
In a sort of similar vein, is it better for someone to refrain from sin out of his own heart, or because he doesn't want the cops to come after him? How should that affect a Christian's vote?

I don't exactly think a starving person would complain about whether he was given food reluctantly or willingly. What's important is that he gets fed.

Similarly, I'd say that if you were about to witness a man murder someone else, it wouldn't matter if you talked him down or took him down. When lives are at stake, motivations cease to be that important.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#5zero8691Posted 10/29/2013 10:19:31 PM
the_hedonist posted...
I was browsing facebook the other day and came across status updates from two evangelical Christian friends of mine. They were something to this effect:

"If you voted for Obama, you turned your back on God."

"Why does the 'Christian' party (Republican) consistently neglect the poor?"

I used to be a fairly staunch economic libertarian, but I am beginning to be slightly more moderate. All Christians would agree that it is both a duty and a delight to care for the poor. Why are we so divided on this issue?

I agree, Why? Well republicans using religion and using it as a political tool. As well as Christians being extremely ignorant about the bible.
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#6IndoriPosted 10/30/2013 5:54:37 AM(edited)
It's definitely hard here in America. I don't really feel comfortable voting for either of the main parties.

Edit: That in mind, I do still feel a duty to vote, even though I live in Alabama (and my vote is therefore inconsequential). When I vote, I write in a friend of mine who I think would make a good civic leader. Obviously he won't ever get elected under that model, but at least I've voted for someone whose views actually reflect mine.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#7C_MatPosted 10/30/2013 7:02:18 AM(edited)
The Bible never says anything about forcing people to help the poor, it says Christians should be helping the poor out of their own pocket and on their own time. So I don't vote for people who would disenfranchise the poor (including some Republicans, but not all, as well as most Democrats). On a side note, I vote for very few Democrats because of their immoral positions on some other issues. So in the previous presidential election, I didn't vote for Romney or Obama. Some people call that wasting my vote, but I consider voting for someone I don't believe in to be wasting my vote.

But I do think it's a complete myth that Republican/conservative economic policies are generally worse for poor people than Democratic/liberal ones. I've spent a lot of time this year working with a conservative homeless/poverty ministry that helps people get back on their feet and learn how to take care of themselves, rather than just giving them free stuff for the rest of their lives and enabling them to stay in poverty.

In the end, though, Christians (and everybody) should be doing the work of helping the poor on their own, and we'd actually get a lot more accomplished. There's nothing moral about "forcing charity" out of people, even if you try to disguise it as taxation. I find it despicable that Jon Stewart (or maybe it was Bill Maher, can't remember) said he'd welcome Obama raising taxes on the wealthy if the money would go to helping poor people. If someone with as much wealth as him won't give his money to the poor unless he's legally obligated to, that shows no true compassion.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#8Polish_CrusaderPosted 10/30/2013 7:36:00 AM
Republicans are not the christian party

Democrats are not the christian party

Jesus was non political
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#9zero8691Posted 10/30/2013 7:54:09 AM(edited)
The Bible never says anything about forcing people to help the poor, it says Christians should be helping the poor out of their own pocket and on their own time. So I don't vote for people who would disenfranchise the poor (including some Republicans, but not all, as well as most Democrats). On a side note, I vote for very few Democrats because of their immoral positions on some other issues. So in the previous presidential election, I didn't vote for Romney or Obama. Some people call that wasting my vote, but I consider voting for someone I don't believe in to be wasting my vote.

No it doesn't, I've never read in the bible "use your own money to help da poor, and No using taxes ever! Only for war, conservative JESUS demands it!" Btw, taxtion isn't stealing.

But I do think it's a complete myth that Republican/conservative economic policies are generally worse for poor people than Democratic/liberal ones. I've spent a lot of time this year working with a conservative homeless/poverty ministry that helps people get back on their feet and learn how to take care of themselves, rather than just giving them free stuff for the rest of their lives and enabling them to stay in poverty.

Lol, republicans/conservative economics policies better for the poor?! LOL, Nice joke, C_Mat. read this read this http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/why-cant-we-end-poverty-in-america.html?_r=0 If you don't want to read it, basically it says, People are poor even when they have Jobs, Geeze _C_Mat, It's like we should raise the minimum wage, But that would be too easy, clearly the solution is, Take away their food-stamps and healthcare, Then They'll work twice as hard! The Job creator will totally give all his worker a 75% increase in pay!

In the end, though, Christians (and everybody) should be doing the work of helping the poor on their own, and we'd actually get a lot more accomplished. There's nothing moral about "forcing charity" out of people, even if you try to disguise it as taxation. I find it despicable that Jon Stewart (or maybe it was Bill Maher, can't remember) said he'd welcome Obama raising taxes on the wealthy if the money would go to helping poor people. If someone with as much wealth as him won't give his money to the poor unless he's legally obligated to, that shows no true compassion.

Yes, there is, That "Rich" person, used Our roads, Our schools, Our military, He has to to pay the tax fee. And nothing wrong if our representatives in power decides it wants to use its power to feed the poor, I'm sure you wanted the government to use its power to outlaw DA GAYS and abortions, But THATS OKAY! Feeding poor people? Not OKAY!, right C_Mat? lol! Hey C_Mat! look, I found a country you would love to live in with your republican Christian friends!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/28/nicaragua.abortion.ban/

Btw read this http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/jon-stewart#charities
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#10zero8691Posted 10/30/2013 7:53:33 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]